You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Calculation Speed is Painfully Slow

I started a TOPIC on this back in February named EPS export option, Slowness of "Calculating...", and although I can still see that post header in the My Content section of my profile, clicking on it yields an error.  Searching for it reveals nothing.  It seems like the topic was deleted for some reason, hence my follow-up post on the same matter today.

Try this:

1. Open a rather large photo.

2. File > Export

3. Note that PNG is probably selected by default and at the bottom right of that sheet you see "Calculating..."

Note how long it takes for the file size to appear.  Then switch from PNG-24 to PNG-8 and note the time.  It takes forever.  Switch to JPEG and play around.  JPEG file sizes calculate faster than PNG, but the are still slow.  Switch to GIF and then go get a cup of coffee because you'll be waiting a VERY long time before the file size appears.  I've got a 3GHz processor!  None of my other apps that show sizes are this slow.  Seriously, those sizes should be calculated and displayed almost instantly.  

Why is this important?  Because I sometimes want to prepare pics for the web and I want to see if PNG-8 or GIF or JPEG are the best choices for the smallest size.  In Photoshop's "Save for Web" feature, such is fast and easy.  But the current functionality in AP slows me down tremendously.

Suffice it to say, AP has not yet weaned me off Photoshop.  But I am hopeful it will.  That's why I bought AP just as soon as it hit the MAS.  I want to support your development efforts.

Thanks.

• Staff

I'm surprised it is slow for you - in order to calculate the true exported file size, all applications must actually do a fake-export of the file.

Which other applications do you have which show the true file size faster than AP (for the same sized image)?

If there is a bottleneck somewhere, I'm sure we can fix it :)

Thanks,

Andy.

Andy, if you have Photoshop, you should compare.  It's a night-and-day difference.  Using a scanned color A4 document, scanned at 300dpi, I opened it in Photoshop and Affinity Photo.  I used Photoshop's Save For Web dialog, and AP's Export:

Affinity Photo, change to PNG-8: 62 seconds (for calculation to appear)

Photoshop, change to PNG-8: 11 seconds (for calculation to appear in bottom left corner)

I am doing this on an early 2009 iMac with 3.06GHz DuoCore processor.

Furthermore, Photoshop caches calculations but Affinity Photo does not.  That saves a HUGE amount of time.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I've had similar issues working with artboards and exporting as PDF.

It is incredibly slow. I have 21 artboards each holding a single image. When I print it, regardless of how low the resolution, it is way too slow on my laptop. Then I try using 3 artboards at a time, each with a single image inside, and when I export as PDF, the same thing happens – takes forever. Whenever I use more than one artboard, exporting as PDF becomes a torture, which should be the easiest thing to do. Programs like Preview do it automatically. Affinity Designer does very well quality-wise, but takes too long. I wonder how I can use so many artboards at once without slowing it down, but as soon as I export anything in PDF, not only it takes forever, as it does not give me a proper visual of the progress for rendering the PDF. It just stays there without moving. Also, as in this thread, calculating file sizes is so slow that I rarely ever wait for it, and you can start exporting before that number comes up. If the program is exporting the file in the background just to figure this number out, that might explain why everything becomes so slow – why not just give a ball park figure instead of having to mock export the file on the background just to display a number? It seems like an awful waste of processing power... In any case, I love this program, and I would never go Adobe, as I find them unethical – period – charging yearly subscriptions for their software is just wrong and it should be illegal. So, Affinity is the way to go – I hope you surpass Adobe soon! And I hope also that some of these issues can be solved, as these Affinity applications are absolutely the best I've ever worked with, all things considered. Yet, I would be doing my work 20x faster if the export features were more efficient. Thank you!

• 6 months later...

I am having the same problem on Windows 10. Got a pretty decent machine with 16Gb RAM

Though for me this is more than just at the export stage, having had several years of Photoshop working on large format files I find that Affinity is significantly slower both in performance and export. Left a file exporting to pdf last night, was still processing this morning (over 10 hours later!) and had hit perhaps 30% export progress. Never had that PS.

And to be clear, I do not like comparing to PS or any other app. Hate those threads where we get Program such and such has these features and you do not. But when performance is literally wasting hours of my working day I do need to know if it me, or perhaps some limitation that comes out of being iPad friendly?

Otherwise loving Photo and Designer and will not go back to Adobe Subscription