You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Designer Video Tutorials (70+)

• Staff

Hello,

The video tutorials that where originally on the Serif Affinity Designer web seem to have been moved to VIMEO.

When I click on the menu tab to go to the video tutorials if brings you to the VIMEO web site.

This is not as logical or as clearly layout as on the original Affinity web site.

Please bring back this page.

The Tutorial section link from the Affinity Designer Application HELP MENU brings you now here to this forum.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hi Titus Tears,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This was changed due to some issues with the Vimeo's API not loading the links/videos correctly on Affinity's website, so we are pointing it directly to Vimeo website for now. This will be checked/corrected later when possible. Meanwhile we also have a list of all published videos on the forum for Designer here (this thread, first post) and Photo here.

Hello,

The video tutorials that where originally on the Serif Affinity Designer web seem to have been moved to VIMEO.

When I click on the menu tab to go to the video tutorials if brings you to the VIMEO web site.

This is not as logical or as clearly layout as on the original Affinity web site.

Please bring back this page.

The Tutorial section link from the Affinity Designer Application HELP MENU brings you now here to this forum.

Thank you.

Regards,

@Titus Tears

The tutorial videos have always been hosted on Vimeo. The tutorials page on the Affinity website included a feed which displayed these videos. Unfortunately, about one week ago, we began experiencing issues with the feed not displaying videos on the Affinity website correctly. This meant a maximum of three videos displayed. In an effort to ensure everyone could still access all the videos, we have temporarily redirected everyone directly to Vimeo.

A solution is being implemented to give us more control over the display of videos on the website and you a better browsing experience.

Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks to MEB for his explanation above too.

• Staff

Hi ggt667,

Those shapes are not being filled because they are broken in more than one node.

Can you please upload your file using this link so i can take a look at it a add a few notes to help you out? Please add your forum's username (@ggt667) to the file's name so i can easily identify it.

Thanks.

Can you please upload your file using this link so i can take a look at it a add a few notes to help you out? Please add your forum's username (@ggt667) to the file's name so i can easily identify it.

Done, posted to your link.

We've released four new videos this week which we hope you find useful:

•        Artboards: Design Aids (New, 3 Nov)

•        Colour Picker Tool (1.5) (New, 3 Nov)

•        Selecting, Finding and Isolating Objects (New, 31 Oct)

•        Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts (New, 31 Oct)

Affinity Designer - Rotation Point: Worked Example:.

I enclose the file to show the problem I am facing with the rotation of the circle that remains in white colour on the black are outside of the black backgroud layer

@Daniele

Apologies again but I'm still confused at this later issue. Having looked at your file, I can see little difference to what you can see on the video at 4:00.

The only differences I can see is that somehow the Knot layer has been placed below the Border layer and the Knot layer is very slightly elliptical now (82.5x82.3mm) rather than a perfect circle. Neither of these issues should result in preventing the completion of the tutorial.

Also to note, I have added subtitles to this video, if they help in any way.

Thanks.

Hi Affinity Designer fans,

As you start winding down for the weekend, I thought you might like to know about two new videos which have just been released:

•        Grids: Coloured Lines (1.5) (New, 18 Nov)

•        Film Noir Style Illustration (New, 18 Nov)

As with all the tutorial videos, although they were shot using the Mac version of Designer, you can, of course, complete them all using the newly released Windows version too!

Best wishes.

Tutorials are not up to date to match Affinity Photo app 100%. They show the in-Painting tool as a stand alone icon when it is now grouped inside a "Band-Aid" icon. Is there perhaps a listing of the changes made to date so users can get familiar with the features a bit quicker? 

techworkspro_v4_300x80.gif.1b0b1c7df511aeb341fc0dbba972a9bf.gif

MBP 2017, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, (Trial) Publisher

iPad Pro, iOS 12, Affinity Photo, Designer

https://techworkspro.com 

• Staff

Hi Techworks Pro,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Inpainting Tool was always integrated in a popup menu. Where are you seeing it as a separate tool? Can you post a link to that video?

What happens is that its icon becomes visible on the toolbar when you select it (like it happens with the others tools/icons in the same popup).

You can add it yourself as an independent tool if you want going to menu View ▸ Customise Tools....

Thanks, but I cannot find a video for this normal dtp action. One would just normally Right click an object or text frame and select Wrap Settings. Job done. I seem to be completely unable to find this simple design effect instruction in AD, Do the fancy stuff alright, but not the basic design function. 

• Staff

Where is text wrap a most important part of design. Pushing a picture into a frame text so the type wraps round it. Most brochures leaflets use this tool but I cannot find it in AD it is in PagePlus and DrawPlus so why not AD. It was especially useful for drop caps in Drawplus.

Hi rushingabout,

This is not available in Affinity Designer. I believe it will be introduced with Publisher and then ported back to other apps if/when appropriate.

@wumpabill,

The Crop Tool in Affinity Designer is object based which means it only affects the object you apply it to, not the entire document as you may expect from other apps.

To use it select an object/layer/group/whatever, then select the Crop Tool - note the control handles on the bounding box changing to small rectangles - and drag them to crop the object non-destructively. Affinity will add a vector mask (see the Layers panel) to that object. That's all.

Hi,

just started with designer (windows), and it looks great! I am not a designer though, but a developer and use it mainly to create simple UI (apps) or convert a designers' result to assets for mobile development.

I saw a lot of questions on how to export for both ios and android, but no real answer or tutorial other then "@2x and @3x"  is supported, android support is on the radar. Perhaps those where outdated answers because toying around with the slices options i discovered that you could do the following:

for ios:
create the export options for 1x, 2x, 3x to automatically get the correct sizes,

for android:
depending on what you want you could do:

1. create the exports
    1x = mdpi
    1.5x = hdpi (1.5 works!)
    2x = xhdpi
    3x = xxhdpi

2. then edit the slice name by clicking it,
  3. remove the suffix (@2x etc)
  4. add a user variable, e.g. "xxhdpi_prefix" with value of "xxhdpi/"
  5. this will create a folder on exporting!
  6. do the same for the other android exports
  7. export your slices and have the correct android assets to insert into android studio directly (as well as the ios assets, which you could put in their own sub folder!)

(possible) result:

assets\xxhdpi\icon.png
    assets\xhpdi\icon.png
    assets\hdpi\icon.png
    assets\ios\icon.png
    assets\ios\icon@2x.png
    assets\ios\icon@3x.png

(and one happy developer.. :) )

8. you can then even copy/paste the entire export set to another slice, or even export it as a preset. This saves a huge amount of time for designers/developers in creating (and recreating) assets!

considering the alternatives in photoshop (e.g. named layers) or the illustrator options (using external plugins), affinity is the way better in my option.

I strongly recommend adding the above to a simple tutorial and advertise it :) i know many fellow developers and companies that are struggling with their workflow. I would recommend they move away (in time) from illustrator or photoshop (definitely no photoshop..) and embrace affinity designer.

Again, make sure you have a tutorial named "easily exporting assets for mobile development, ios AND android", as that is a regular returning google-search for many:) Add it to your existing export tutorial (the one with the different icons for example) and include something like the above (or if anything better exists, use that)

(now the next step would be to add 9 patch overlays somehow...)

just my 2 cents as a happy first time user (started yesterday).

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a quick and simple way to achieve symmetrical use of the pen tool in Affinity Designer.

Example/concept: Something like creating a letter "U" with the pen tool: Click for first point at top left of (future) letter, then click-drag horizontally at the bottom center of the U, then last click for the top right. But I want it to be precisely symmetrical, with both top points on the same line and the bottom point in the exact center between them. Is there a quick way to find center? And to align the top points?

Perhaps I need to use snap-to-guides or some such?

I'm sure there must be some easy way to accomplish this, but I'm just missing it. Been searching the (wonderful!) video tutorials and the help menu, but haven't found an answer yet. Please help, thanks.

PS: LOVE the programs you've created. As an old-time heavy Photoshop user (was there for the early battles - started on Macs in 1987 - as we all learned together to adapt to digital from the old exacto paste-up days), came to Affinity Photo first. It's wonderful - all the tools are there (and more!), just having to learn to push different buttons. Now trying to learn Designer and the learning curve is a bit steeper, having been only a peripheral user of Illustrator. Keep up the great work. Quark next?

Example/concept: Something like creating a letter "U" with the pen tool: Click for first point at top left of (future) letter, then click-drag horizontally at the bottom center of the U, then last click for the top right. But I want it to be precisely symmetrical, with both top points on the same line and the bottom point in the exact center between them. Is there a quick way to find center? And to align the top points?

Perhaps I need to use snap-to-guides or some such?

Hi Chuck

I think what you might be looking for is the grid - check the videos under part 12, Design Aids.

Turn on the grid with View menu, Show Grid (make a note of the Grid and  Axis Manager, also under the View menu, for customising the grid).

Turn on Snap to grid (see below).

When you draw the middle point in your example 'U', hold down Shift to constrain to a perfect horizontal drag (or 45 degree variations).

(Note that you may potentially need another point on each side between the end points and the middle point, depending on the exact curvature required - try making that extra point as a Smart point and leave grid snapping on for some symmetrical control.)

gridsnap.png

Hi guys! I'm trying to create a feather icon, and have constructed the basic shape using several shapes with the pen tool. I'm trying to cut the white triangles out of the black shape, so that I have a vector feather shape. I tried messing around with the add, subtract tools etc but it never seemed to give me the result I wanted. I'm sure there's a simple solution, just eludes me.

See images for all the shapes in play:

fXpQalC.png

Hi guys! I'm trying to create a feather icon, and have constructed the basic shape using several shapes with the pen tool. I'm trying to cut the white triangles out of the black shape, so that I have a vector feather shape. I tried messing around with the add, subtract tools etc but it never seemed to give me the result I wanted. I'm sure there's a simple solution, just eludes me.

See images for all the shapes in play:

fXpQalC.png

You might want to combine the white triangles and then subtract:

Clipboard001.jpg

Clipboard002.jpg

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

hello this is a request about your most excellent videos . Please could you make them ALL have closed captions (cc)

we are a group who are all using your videos to learn the ropes of Affinity designer

We went through most of the videos  while beta testing . We are revisiting every video in the list and in the order prescribed.

Our small group has grown and we have some in our group who prefer to read the captions.  we also have some who find it hard to hear or understand.

(i am a yorkshire lass i understand every word)but....

i also think it is an excellent feature. i can stop the video with a caption and study what is being done

so my request is you apply the cc to all your videos  if possible . Thanks in advance

Hi,

just: though I'm an "old" RTFM sort of guy, these are absolute fantastic guiding aids!  I've watched them all.  :lol:

Extremely well done, and for a non-native speaker listening the speakers talking is a real joy.  :)

Thanks heaps to the documentation team.

affinian