You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to just export selected objects?

I am a long-time Xara user. It is a Windows only program (Although there is a Linux version that hasn't been updated in ages.) and it is super simple to use.

One of the things that I like about Xara is you can just select an object on a page, like a 720 x 90 ad banner on say a 1200 x 800 page and then export it as a png file and it only exports the banner, not the entire page.

I have found that with Abobe Illustrator and now Affinity, the only way that you can export an item is to create a file that is the exact side of the object you want to export. Otherwise, when you export, it exports everything on the page. 

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but is is possible for me to just a select object to export or do I need to create a new file that is the same size as the item I want to export?  

• Staff

Hi wildscribe,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

Curently it's not possible to export a selection of objects as you do in Xara. This was already requested by another user and i think it will be added soon. Meanwhile, you can either export the whole page as you discovered or export a layer containing all the objects. Check this tutorial if you want to know more about it.

Thanks for the speedy reply MEB!

I just figured out a way to do it.

I watched the YouTube video that you suggested and it explained how to export as "Slices". I make a lot of ad banners and I was able to export them in the exact size without any problems.

This method works fine for me. I look forward to buying this program in October. 

I am also going to use it to make graphics for iPhone apps. I had previously created the graphics in Xara and then had to move them over to my MacBook and insert them in Xcode.  Now I can create everything in Mac. 

Thanks again for your help.

- - - Wild

That is indeed an excellent tutorial.
And I've watched it a couple of times.

What I'm used to (and possibly wildscribe) is being able to select an object, or marquee selecting a number of objects and just exporting those objects.

What I now do in Affinity Designer is this:

Select the 'Export Persona' icon.

Ensure the 'Slice Tool' is selected.

Draw a rectangle around the object(s) you want to export.
(This would be like trying to marquee select in Xara).

You can fine adjust the area after having drawn the rectangle.

Ensure that you have the correct settings selected in the 'Export' panel. Mine is usually .png

Now, just click on the 'Export 1x' button, which is just below the 'Export Persona' icon.

Sincere apologies if I'm merely repeating what others have already said.

But, I thought I would share what I do.

I've also attached a file that Affinity Designer users can open.

It has some images to go with the instructions - for new users who might have the same question.

exporting selected objects.afdesign

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey, I was searching for a way to do this and came across this thread. For anyone wondering, I found a way of doing it:

1. make a rectangle that boxes in what you want to export

2. make it transparent with no stroke

3. with it still selected, choose export

4. in the "area" box, choose "selection with background" 

• Staff

Hi tomatohorse,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is a very old thread. All features discussed here are already in the program. There's no need to create a rectangle for this. Just select the objects you want and go to File ▸ Export, then select Selection with (or without) background from the Area dropdown and export the file.

I am a long-time Xara user. It is a Windows only program (Although there is a Linux version that hasn't been updated in ages.) and it is super simple to use.

One of the things that I like about Xara is you can just select an object on a page, like a 720 x 90 ad banner on say a 1200 x 800 page and then export it as a png file and it only exports the banner, not the entire page.

I have found that with Abobe Illustrator and now Affinity, the only way that you can export an item is to create a file that is the exact side of the object you want to export. Otherwise, when you export, it exports everything on the page. 

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but is is possible for me to just a select object to export or do I need to create a new file that is the same size as the item I want to export?  

Interestingly, in photo, if you select an area with a marquee and select export > selection without background you still get the whole image. ??

It would be quite useful if it worked. Am I doing something wrong?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.