You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Haze removal filter

Looked good until it started crashing ...  Seems OK if it is the first adjustment that is applied but if you do anything else first (perhaps not "anything", but certainly levels, curves and masks) it will crash all most of the time.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Later the same day ...   I've now looked at how the haze filter performs on around 30 images.  The original post is confirmed:  it works fine if it is the first adjustment made but will crash about 2 times out of three if other edits are made before calling it.

That apart, it's "where have you been all my life"!

Based on Billtils posts I went back and loaded the image I used to test the Haze Removal filter. While I was not able to reproduce a crash (yet) I have seen very strange results if the Haze Removal is not the first used filter.

Screen Shot 1 - loaded a raw image, changed to the Photo Persona and applied the Haze Removal filter.

post-5675-0-19427300-1440864419_thumb.jpg

Screen Shot 2 - loaded the same raw image, changed to the Photo Persona, cropped and leveled the image, made a small Curves adjustment (darkening the image a bit), reselected the background layer and then did about the same Haze Removal change.

post-5675-0-58287000-1440864543_thumb.jpg

Clearly there is something wrong going on here.

Haze removal.. where?

Maybe it is in beta? I can't see it anywhere.

Edit: I saw the other thread about the new beta. Please ignore me.. ;)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Crashing update - thanks to Mike from Mesa I got more systematic in exploring the sequence of events that led to a crash.  Surprise, surprise, the cause is operator error induce by excitement at the results obtained when using the filter.  

Note to self:  Hit the "Apply" button when done with the Haze Filter operations and before moving to another operation or it will crash every time  :wacko:

I can confirm Billtils observation. If one opens an image, opens and adjusts the Haze Removal filter but does not hit the Apply button and then goes to another adjustment (I used the HSL adjustment APB crashes.

This appears to be repeatable. Thank you Bill for finding this.

• 3 weeks later...

The Haze filter mostly does a brilliant job but I have found on two or three occasions that after I have applied the filter exported the revised image there is a coloured stripe along the bottom of the image, either blue or yellow.

• 1 year later...

Has anybody had instances where the Haze Removal tool doesn't seem to do anything? I've just had this happen in one photo, switched to another photo, and could see it working. Switched back to the first photo, and it then worked in that. 

I've been having a few issues of things not appearing to make any changes while in RAW. Mainly in White Balance. And, I KNOW the images need adjusting in that area. 

Has anybody had instances where the Haze Removal tool doesn't seem to do anything? I've just had this happen in one photo, switched to another photo, and could see it working. Switched back to the first photo, and it then worked in that. 

I've been having a few issues of things not appearing to make any changes while in RAW. Mainly in White Balance. And, I KNOW the images need adjusting in that area. 

The only time I have seen that is when I have accidentally selected the wrong layer. If an adjustment layer is selected the haze filter can not do anything because it has no data to work on. One of the continuing problems I have is that I sometimes forget that I have to select the image layer when I want to apply filters.

If your problem is different than that it is something I have not seen.

The only time I have seen that is when I have accidentally selected the wrong layer. If an adjustment layer is selected the haze filter can not do anything because it has no data to work on. One of the continuing problems I have is that I sometimes forget that I have to select the image layer when I want to apply filters.

If your problem is different than that it is something I have not seen.

No layers, except for the image itself. And, that was highlighted. Maybe it was just the photo???

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.