You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF export : french accents replaced by spaces

Good evening,

I am trying the Affinity Designer software. I have made for that an A4 document and have exported it in PDF directly from AD.

My document contains the fonts « Hannotate ». On the screen, the PDF generated displays everything well… but when I print it on my HP printer, the french accent, like ‘è’ is replaced by a space ??

I tried several things, finally exported in JPG, but that’s not what I wanted initially.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

Good evening,

I am trying the Affinity Designer software. I have made for that an A4 document and have exported it in PDF directly from AD.

My document contains the fonts « Hannotate ». On the screen, the PDF generated displays everything well… but when I print it on my HP printer, the french accent, like ‘è’ is replaced by a space ??

I tried several things, finally exported in JPG, but that’s not what I wanted initially.

Hi ikkiphenix, 

Welcome to the forum.  :)

It sounds like a font embedding or printer compatibility issue. 

What app do you use to print the PDF from, can you 'print as image' in your print set up? 

Paul. 

Thanks Paul for your answer.

I work on Mac OS X El Capitan with the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. The setting 'print as image' is not obvious, but it does exist if one searches for it, and it actually works... Do you think we can just have that workaround ?

If it is a font embedding issue, what can I do to solve it ? If it is a printer compatibility issue, is there any kind of firmware update that could solve it (I have a HP Envy 7640) ? Or is it a more general AD behavior ?

Again thanks for your help.

Xavier.

Good evening,

Hi ikkiphenix, 

Where did you acquire the Hannotate font from & what format (Truetype, PostScript Type 1, Open Type) is it? 

Hi ikkiphenix, 

I am using El Capitan, the Hannotate font is also present. 

Maybe the accented letters are encoded differently to the printer specification, so it is fine as a screen font but has no printer font equivalent?  

It also has some missing Chinese characters: 

Hannotate.tiff

Is your printer a PostScript printer or USB/WiFi connected? 

It could also mean that font reproduces best on a PostScript printer. 

What ever the reason, it appears that you need to adopt one of the workarounds previously mentioned. 

Paul. 

Hi Xavier, 

There is something definitely odd about the Hannotate fonts. 

Adobe Reader cannot 'extract' the fonts, even though I made sure that font embedding is on: 

post-10932-0-19864000-1448674297_thumb.png 

post-10932-0-51856900-1448674299_thumb.png 

The PDF views OK in Preview. 

When I return to work on Monday, I'll try printing from the PDF - opened in Preview. 

Hannotate.pdf

Paul.