You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing / El Capitan / Epson 3800

Apple maintains lists of printer driver software that is included with or available for OS X. For Mountain Lion & later, the list is at https://support.apple.com/HT201465. There is an EPSON AL-C3800 on that list, so you should have no compatibility problems if that is your printer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Do you use icc profiles (to match the paper) when you print? Good to hear that you are satisfied.

I am a very inexperienced user of AP at this point and have not used icc profiles. If I am goint to print, all I do is I make the edits in Resize Document and on the File>Print screen and so far this has done well enough to have printed some lovely photos.

Apple maintains lists of printer driver software that is included with or available for OS X. For Mountain Lion & later, the list is at https://support.apple.com/HT201465. There is an EPSON AL-C3800 on that list, so you should have no compatibility problems if that is your printer.

Yes, I know the Epson 3800 is supported. When using AP it seems that you have to let the printer handle the color options to print; with PS, you let PS handle the printing. This is where I need some help in the settings for printing.  Thanks.

Genius is dedication. 

Hi Soulartist

I have an iMac27/Mavericks and an Epson 3800 printer to print hight quality colour images on various fine art papers. I print my images from Lightroom with appropriate paper icc profiles downloaded from paper manufacturers.

I use AP just for retouching which is not possible to do with LR.  But as your question interests me I did a simple test. I opened a LR developed raw image to AP and printed it on Hahnemuehle Photo Luster 260 g paper selecting the print setting appropriate to the profile (see the attached image). I then printed the same raw image directly from LR with the same settings. A big surprise was that the images did not look exactly the same. Why is that, I cannot yet say. I will have to do some more testing. 

Then I SoftProofed the image on AP with the right paper profile and it looked quite similar to the LR image (AP creates an adjustment layer for the profile). I do not undertand where the change of colours happens as the same paper profile was used for both prints and the same ProPhoto working colour space was used both in LR and AP. Also, the colours were managed by ColorSync and by the printer. Perhaps it has something do with the gamma settings in each program?

For me this is just an indication that I shall continue printing from Lightroom as it provides far superior print handling posibilties ans quite reliable soft proofing as well, at least for now.

vieuxjeux

post-23122-0-47638100-1454340660_thumb.png

Yes, I know the Epson 3800 is supported. When using AP it seems that you have to let the printer handle the color options to print; with PS, you let PS handle the printing. This is where I need some help in the settings for printing.  Thanks.

In the OS X print dialog, you have a choice of using the printer's or OS X's color profile settings. This is buried in the "Color Matching" section, shown only if the "Show Details" button is clicked. Several recently updated topics discuss this, my latest post in https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/17522-color-printer-profiles/ being among them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi Soulartist

I have an iMac27/Mavericks and an Epson 3800 printer to print hight quality colour images on various fine art papers. I print my images from Lightroom with appropriate paper icc profiles downloaded from paper manufacturers.

I use AP just for retouching which is not possible to do with LR.  But as your question interests me I did a simple test. I opened a LR developed raw image to AP and printed it on Hahnemuehle Photo Luster 260 g paper selecting the print setting appropriate to the profile (see the attached image). I then printed the same raw image directly from LR with the same settings. A big surprise was that the images did not look exactly the same. Why is that, I cannot yet say. I will have to do some more testing. 

Then I SoftProofed the image on AP with the right paper profile and it looked quite similar to the LR image (AP creates an adjustment layer for the profile). I do not undertand where the change of colours happens as the same paper profile was used for both prints and the same ProPhoto working colour space was used both in LR and AP. Also, the colours were managed by ColorSync and by the printer. Perhaps it has something do with the gamma settings in each program?

For me this is just an indication that I shall continue printing from Lightroom as it provides far superior print handling posibilties ans quite reliable soft proofing as well, at least for now.

vieuxjeux

My monitor is color profiled:

I noticed that when viewing (RGB or ICC) a particular piece of art that there is no gamut issue from within Photoshop. But when viewing the same art doc (RGB or ICC) in AP there is a gamut issue under gamut check. This may be the cause of poor printing results. If I can't get good color fidelity, then I wasted my money on AP.

Genius is dedication. 

Hi Soulartist

I checked the colour gamut as well and noticed big out of gamut areas which print well on my Epson 3800. For an image retouching software the colour accuracy is the first and most importants thing to have right. It is no wonder that the established companies have spent years to fine tune their colour computers.

I have also calibrated my iMac display and it forms a good and reliable part of my colour managed work flow.

Vieuxjeux