You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

I just this morning got a tip from some site about Affinity Photo. I'm tired of paying for the subscription I'm currently have with LR and PS CC.

I'm importing and fixing the most of my pictures in LR. Some of them, portraits for example, I also edit in PS. LR is easy and fast but I'm feeling that I'm not using it enough to pay the subscription fees. I can buy two Affinity Photo for the same money as a year of LR + PS.

Is there anyone who made the switch who had the same workflow as me?

Is Affinity a good replacement if I use LR?

Any tips for a good way of cataloguing my photos as LR?

Hi CJP,

Welcome to forum. I'm sure there are quite a few who feel the same way. 

1. Is there anyone who made the switch who had the same workflow as me?

Yep, i'm one of many. My workflow was import in to LR do a quick edit then if I need to clean up the pic or remove something I would head over to Ps.

2. Is Affinity a good replacement if I use LR?

Yep, there are a lot of similar features for editing in Affinity Photo. They have something called personas click here to understand what they are. For me its like have LR and Ps rolled into one.

3. Any tips for a good way of cataloguing my photos as LR?

​Currently the team are looking in to creating a Digital Asset Management solution, so there is no way to store your photos within the application like Lr. Although I have come up with a Creative temporary solution if using a Mac. I'm sure there will be something similar for windows users.

Create a 5 Star rating system 

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

You seem to have been working exactly as me, great! And thanks for your fast answer!

I understand. Personas actually seems better in my eyes than having LR and PS separated. I'm going to read up on it more but when I took a quick glance it seemed about the same as LR.

Before I started using Adobe CC I always copied my photos "manually". It's certainly not a deal breaker that Affinity doesn't offer a similar solution today. If the team behind Affinity comes up with a solution for it, especially implemented as a "persona", it's a big plus.

Thank you again! I will try it out this evening after work. I just sent after a Trial-link. Can't wait to snap some pictures and try it out :) 

Hi cjp

Yes, Affinity Photo can totally replace PS.

Unfortunately, concerning the catalog part, it's more complicated.

I watched Allan's video and I must say it's a smart way of using standard OS X features.

But if you're looking for keywords, exif edition, smart collections, etc... well...

I've been looking through the different solutions available on OS X, standalone, and nothing is really great I have to say.

In my case, I want to replace Aperture which was just great, but with no future.

I gave a try to Darktable, Media Pro, Lyn, Emulsion, XnView, Picassa, Photo Mechanic, and even Apple Photos but there's always something missing.

You might find one that suits your needs though and the good thing is all these applications have a demo version. So see by yourself.

For me, the closest to what I'm looking for is probably Media Pro but even if Phase One released a beta version 1.6 recently, its future is not clear.

OS X 10.12 - AP 1.6.6 - AD 1.6

You seem to have been working exactly as me, great! And thanks for your fast answer!

I understand. Personas actually seems better in my eyes than having LR and PS separated. I'm going to read up on it more but when I took a quick glance it seemed about the same as LR.

Before I started using Adobe CC I always copied my photos "manually". It's certainly not a deal breaker that Affinity doesn't offer a similar solution today. If the team behind Affinity comes up with a solution for it, especially implemented as a "persona", it's a big plus.

Thank you again! I will try it out this evening after work. I just sent after a Trial-link. Can't wait to snap some pictures and try it out :)

No worries. Snap away and share your work on the forum for all to enjoy... :)

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Hi cjp

Yes, Affinity Photo can totally replace PS.

Unfortunately, concerning the catalog part, it's more complicated.

I watched Allan's video and I must say it's a smart way of using standard OS X features.

But if you're looking for keywords, exif edition, smart collections, etc... well...

Hey Yakk,

I agree, it was just meant to be for some to understand those hidden features that work well with Affinity Photo. I didn't want to go to in-depth with this one as i'll rather wait for a real solution but you can take advantage of tags on your Mac as keywords and using smart folders as smart collections.... 

post-9020-0-54347900-1458122496_thumb.png  post-9020-0-95006100-1458122556_thumb.png

Lets hope a D.A.M is here sooner than later.

Allan

I'm not sure if I'm temporarily a dumb one but I can't get the quotes to work.

@yakk,

I will watch the video tonight for sure. I'm not one who tags my photos with keywords. I just want to create some structure :)

I was in contact with Adobe a couple of minutes ago about cancelation. The one year plans might be cheep but it's a commitment for sure. I got a month free so I guess dropping the name "Affinity" is powerful!

Thank you for all the tips! I'm eager to get off work and try this out.

Edit, question, I'm a photographer but I guess it's ok to share those to in the correct forum? I didn't see any photos, only illustrations (great ones).

@Allan

As I said, your video is very interesting and I'll reuse the trick of defining new keyboard shortcuts for sure ! Very good idea  ;)

While looking for a solution, I also tried the smart folders in the Finder. May be you could correct me but it seems that you cannot define them in a specific directory, they are associated to the left bar of the Finder.

I would have prefer to be able to define them only for my photos in the Pictures folder of my home directory.

Your ideas can definitely be very useful in some situation though.

@cjp

You know what to do now, call them every month to get a "new" free month until Affinity release a DAM  :P

I got a month free so I guess dropping the name "Affinity" is powerful!

:D  :D  

Edit, question, I'm a photographer but I guess it's ok to share those to in the correct forum? I didn't see any photos, only illustrations (great ones).

Yep, I've posted some in the past that I've edited in the "The Powerful One", you've got me on one now... ;) . 

@Allan

As I said, your video is very interesting and I'll reuse the trick of defining new keyboard shortcuts for sure ! Very good idea  ;)

While looking for a solution, I also tried the smart folders in the Finder. May be you could correct me but it seems that you cannot define them in a specific directory, they are associated to the left bar of the Finder.

I would have prefer to be able to define them only for my photos in the Pictures folder of my home directory.

Your ideas can definitely be very useful in some situation though.

Thanks, yep you can...

post-9020-0-06018800-1458126854_thumb.png

Just make sure you deselect the box to add to sidebar...

Allan

Arf !!!  :wacko:

I feel so stupid ! You're a genius  ;)

Thanks !

:D  :D

No, I do it all the time. Because i'm teaching Mac stuff all day as my job its easier for me to remember all this stuff and little tips and tricks...

Photos is not as bad as we can read about it sometimes so it's definitely an option to consider, because it's free and completely integrated to the OS.

I just think the interface of iPhotos was easier.

If I don't want to use it anymore it's because I would take the occasion of leaving Aperture to also leave the concept of a closed library containing the photos. And few other things too.

But it's still a great application and it does the job pretty well.