You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Google Nik Collection is now free for everyone.

MEB

Note: I do not own or use Aperture so this is just a guess based on what happened when I installed Nik, but for whatever reason it created & installed a folder in /Library/Application Support named Aperture. Inside that it created a folder named Plug-Ins & in that it installed a series of subfolders with a very different file & folder structure from the folder I created in /Applications that it created for use with Affinity Photo.

So from this I suspect the items in the /Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins folder will only work with that app, so 'pointing' AP to it will not work.

I also noticed that the installer created stand alone application versions of all the filters in the /Applications folder, but not in Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins. They have no file menu so you can't launch them & then open a file but you can control click on a Tiff or JPEG file in Finder & use the "open with..." contextual menu to open one of those files.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I also noticed that the installer created stand alone application versions of all the filters in the /Applications folder, but not in Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins. They have no file menu so you can't launch them & then open a file but you can control click on a Tiff or JPEG file in Finder & use the "open with..." contextual menu to open one of those files.

Interesting ... so, were I to just go ahead and let the installer do its thing for Aperture then not only could I use them there but I could also use them in a semi 'stand alone' manner using 'open with'.

If that is the case then this may be the best solution for me for now.

Could some others please confirm that after the installation of the plug-ins (in either Lr, Ps, or Aperture) that simply right-clicking a Tiff or jpeg on the desktop, for example, and choosing 'open with...' will allow one to open the image in one or another of these plug-ins.

Interesting ... so, were I to just go ahead and let the installer do its thing for Aperture then not only could I use them there but I could also use them in a semi 'stand alone' manner using 'open with'.

If that is the case then this may be the best solution for me for now.

Could some others please confirm that after the installation of the plug-ins (in either Lr, Ps, or Aperture) that simply right-clicking a Tiff or jpeg on the desktop, for example, and choosing 'open with...' will allow one to open the image in one or another of these plug-ins.

I don't have Photoshop or Aperture on my Mac. And as R C-R says, You can use them as stand-alone apps which is the way I prefer to use them anyway. In AP, some appear to not be working or I get an error message saying the filter could not create another layer or whatever the message is. No problem as a stand-alone, though. If you are having trouble getting to appear in AP, just follow my posts in this thread to correctly link the plugins with AP.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

I don't think so. Like I said, the installer does not seem to install the stand alone versions in the Application Support folder for Aperture, just in a folder you add to the list of install locations so the plugins can be used with Affinity Photo. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi justwilliam,

Sorry the delay replying.

Regarding your questions:

1. No, you cannot point to the Aperture plug-ins folder because the plug-ins use another format/spec. They will not work with Affinity Photo. Only Photoshop plug-ins will do.

2. If you don't have Photoshop, you have to create a custom folder in the Applications folder where to install the plug-ins. You can name it whatever you want - Photoshop Plug-ins, Affinity Photo plug-ins, whatever - then install all plug-ins inside that folder.

In Nik Collection case, there's a step during the installation where you have to point to that custom folder (see screenshot below): click the plus button and point it to the folder you created previously.

post-59-0-27929400-1459163403_thumb.png

Then move on with the installation clicking next until the end. You will end up with three folders:

- one called Nik Collection inside the Applications folder where are located Nik Collection's standalone apps

- one called Google inside the custom folder you have created with the Photoshop .plugin files inside a subfolder for each plug-in

- another one called Google located in /Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-ins - this one is for Aperture Plugin files

Those having trouble with demo/buy dialogs make sure you have no previous trials/versions installed. The Nik Collection comes with its own uninstaller in the DMG file.

Also make sure you download the full version (nikcollection-full-1.2.11.dmg) from their site.

Adding slightly to what MEB said about the install locations, I created a custom folder in Applications named "Nik Collection" before I ran the installer & added it using the plus button in the same way he described in his part 2. That custom folder is what I added to the Plugin Search Folders list in the Photoshop Plugins section of AP preferences.

Because the Dfine, Selective Tool, Sharpener Pro 3, & Viveza 2 plugins do not (currently) work with AP & I did not want them to show up in the Filters > Plugins > Nik Collection menu item, I also took the extra step of zipping their subfolders in the /Applications/Nik Collection/Google folder & deleting their unzipped folders.

Note: This extra step is not necessary & involves authenticating as an admin user to make these changes; I only mention it here because it does remove those items from the AP menu & does not affect the functionality of the stand alone apps also installed in that custom folder.

Also, because I do not have Aperture I deleted the /Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-ins/Aperture folder, which saves about 750 MB of disk storage space.

Affinity Photo 

Thank you MEB and RC-R.

So, since I do not have Ps and do have Aperture, I suppose that I should:

Create a folder called something like 'Photoshop Plugins' in my Applications folder

Run the installer and after it finds Aperture I should click on the 'plus' symbol and select the 'Photoshop Plugins' folder which I previously created.

And this should allow me to use these plug-ins in any of three ways: either in Aperture, or as stand alone apps, or to use whichever ones currently work with Affinity Photo from Affinity Photo (after "pointing" AP to the plug-ins folder which, IIRC, the video explained how to do).

Sounds simple and straightforward enough; I just wanted to put it into words and make sure I've got it right by double-checking with y'all (wow, I've always wanted to use the word "y'all"!)

So, please jump in and post back if I now have it right - or, even more importantly, if I still do not have it right.

Thanks.

As a point of reference, I have the 2012 iMac model shown below. Because I have an old, seldom used copy of Photoshop Elements 9 installed on it, the Nik installer installed a set of plugins in the Adobe PSE support folder as well as in the Aperture support folder & the "Nik Collections" one I created for use with AP.

That put the total install size at something north of 5 GB or so & it took around 12-15 minutes to complete.

Affinity Photo 

Hi all,

First post here  :)

I'm using the trial version of Affinity Photo 1.4 and successfully installed the Nik plugins. These seem to work (Analog Efex Pro 2, Color Efex Pro 4, Silver Efex Pro 2) but I found that if you have Affinity in full screen, calling the Nik plugin would start up 2 plugin windows (the one behind refreshes with image info as normal) but cannot select any options or buttons, etc. and cannot return to Affinity. The only way to get back is to force quit Affinity and restart the app. Once restarted, can again access the plugins fine if not in full screen. 

Keep up the good work with Affinity - very slick on i7 MBP 15" (although noise reduction in develop persona does send the fans spinning madly  :huh: )

Keith.

I'm using the trial version of Affinity Photo 1.4 and successfully installed the Nik plugins. These seem to work (Analog Efex Pro 2, Color Efex Pro 4, Silver Efex Pro 2) but I found that if you have Affinity in full screen, calling the Nik plugin would start up 2 plugin windows (the one behind refreshes with image info as normal) but cannot select any options or buttons, etc. and cannot return to Affinity. The only way to get back is to force quit Affinity and restart the app. Once restarted, can again access the plugins fine if not in full screen.

I see the same behavior with the retail & with the current 1.4.2 beta 4 versions. What seems to be happening (at least with OS X 10.11 El Capitan) is for some reason when calling the plugins while in full screen mode the app is switched to a new Desktop space. I'm not sure why that would create the second plugin window but clearly something isn't programmed correctly.

Also, when calling the plugins while in separated mode, everything looks OK & nothing is moved to a new space, but after clicking either OK or Cancel, the document window turns completely black, although the Navigate panel shows the view correctly. This persists even if I switch back out of separated mode. So far, the only way I have found to make the view reappear is to create a new view from the View menu & close the all black one.

Affinity Photo 

UPDATE: (for the benefit of any others considering downloading this software and making use of it in Affinity Photo or in other ways)

The download was quick. I followed the steps outlined by MEB in post #30 (and utilised the helpful information provided by others here).

The install was less than one minute on a 27" riMac, 4 GHz i7, 24GB RAM, R9 M295X. (I have so far not been displeased with going over-budget when upgrading from my last iMac.)

I tested a few quick image edits from Aperture, from Affinity Photo, and by simply right-clicking an image on the desktop and choosing the 'open with...' option - all works as described and hoped.

For anyone unfamiliar with these NIK plug-ins and wondering whether or not they may want them, they could be described as Googles 'Snapseed' App with a higher degree of polish, potential, and possibilities. In my case these will be quite handy for use when wanting to make immediate and easy 'adjustments' to personal images that I just want to rapidly share with friends or family to be viewed once or twice on the various displays and devices used nowadays. Obviously there is a certain capacity, ability, and promise for much more than that within these plug-ins, but when wanting to do much more than that I will remain in AP.

I also want to say "thank you" to the forum members who so kindly answered my (repeated) questions so thoroughly and helpfully (I do have the tendency to be a bit overly-cautious at times). And I must say that I have encountered nothing but a great bunch of folk here on this forum.

Hi MEB

Currently Analog Efex Pro 2, Color Efex Pro 4, Silver Efex Pro 2 work with Affinity Photo. HDR Efex Pro 2 only works partially.

I had installed the Nik Collection before I read this thread so I didn't do the plugin part of the install.
I don't have Aperture and I have PSE 6 (very old).

In the Collection I intend to use HDR Efex Pro only so what do you mean by working partially as a plugin in AP?

As a matter of fact I am not enthused by its job as a stand-alone app. Is there any benefit from using it as a plugin? So is it worth the deinstallation + installation process?
TIA

Nick

• Staff

Hi Nick,

In Affinity Photo the HDR Efex Pro 2 plugin runs but can only be applied to a single image (layer) for tone mapping. You aren't able to load a set of bracketed images to align/process because there's no interface in Affinity to access the Image Selection Dialog ( File > Automate > Merge to HDR Efex Pro 2… if you have Photoshop) or a way to load the Nik Selective Tool which also allows you to load a set or images or an equivalent to the File ▸ Open images... command when you use it as a stand alone app.

Installing et downloading c’est deux temps différents.

UPDATE: (for the benefit of any others considering downloading this software and making use of it in Affinity Photo or in other ways)

The download was quick. I followed the steps outlined by MEB in post #30 (and utilised the helpful information provided by others here).

The install was less than one minute on a 27” riMac...

Installing et downloading c’est deux temps différents.

Oui , deux choses différentes : le téléchargement a été rapide, même sur ma connexion lente et l' installation a été très rapide sur cette machine .

Yes, two different things: the download was quick even with my slow connection AND the install was very surprisingly quick on this machine (less than one minute passed  between the time I clicked install and when it was completed).

I apologize if my wording was confusing.

Hey guys …

that's cool news!  :)

Only thing is I can't get the plugins to work in AP to try them.  :(

I deinstalled/reinstalled the collection three times and tried the different approaches as described, 
but I still get the buy/demo message and after that no dialogue or a dialogue without an image.

Do I need the latest beta AP for this to work? Anyone else still having these problems?

Thanks and cheers

Dennis

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

MrDoodlezz, are you maybe using an installer you downloaded before March 24th to uninstall/reinstall the collection? If so, after using it to uninstall the collection, download a new copy of the installer & try using that to do the install.

Affinity Photo 

You make your own choices, but be aware it requires you to accept Google's Term & Conditions and their Privacy Policy.

Here's the bit you need to pay attention to:

When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide licence to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights that you grant in this licence are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This licence continues even if you stop using our Services.

I may be mistaken here, but it appears to me that if you do something that they could use to promote their service you've just given it to them for free, in perpetuity (interesting use of the word "limited", by the way).

As I said, you make your own choices, but if you develop information, graphics or other Intellectual Property you may want to think what you agree to.  "Free" is a very dangerous illusion.

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

BatteriesInc, as far as I know there is no need to sign up for or agree to use any Google services to download, install, & use the Nik collection. I do have a Google "+1" account, but I rarely if ever sign into it, & did not do so to download the collection. Maybe more to the point, I know several people who did not download the collection directly to a personal computer of their own & used what used to be called "sneakernet" to install it on their machines.

All the plugins & stand alone app versions run fine even when the computer is completely isolated from the Internet, & I can find no indiction that any of them try to "phone home" even when it is.

Affinity Photo 

BatteriesInc, as far as I know there is no need to sign up for or agree to use any Google services to download, install, & use the Nik collection. 

You could have worked out that if I go into such detail I would probably stick to facts too :).  You can download it no problem, but you will need to agree to all of what I mentioned during install.  I presume you didn't spot this because you're too used to clicking through the legal agreement (which is quite normal for most end users).  Sadly, I don't have that luxury  :( because I sometimes work on very sensitive projects (hence the need to read these things instead of treating them like TL;DR as others do).

Sneakernet won't make a difference, nor did I make a statement of what this specific software may or may not do because that is not the real issue.  These terms cover ALL your use of Google services that they can tie back to you, not just the software you're about to install.  Thus, even if you avoided setting up a Google account, you will still have agreed to their Terms when you install it.  One of our guys once called them "infective" Terms, which is actually quite to the point.  So, welcome to Google.

To repeat: for most end users this makes no difference, but if you work with Intellectual Property this stuff matters.

I can't find any way to attach a file or a screenshot, otherwise I'd show you the installer (note to Admin: where is the "attach file" menu gone?).

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.