You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why Do I Not Find System Requirements Listed Anywhere?

It's too bad my first post about the beta has nothing to do with the beta itself...

To be honest, I've been hoping for Mac products from Serif for years, as I am a great fan of PagePlus!  I've purchased (and upgraded several times) several of the Serif apps and find them excellent products.  Totally thrilled, now, that the Mac is getting its share of Serif, and I jumped at the opportunity to checkout the beta!

However...

I looked rather diligently - including here in the fora - for a link to system requirements, but was unable to find anything.  I decided to try it anyway, but attempting to run Designer generated the inadequate OS message.  It would have been nice to know before-hand!

I'm downloading Mavericks, now, so I should be able to tackle Designer in a day or two.

Would it be possible to add system requirements somewhere easily accessible to prospective customers?

James

• Staff

Hello Deuce,

I know this isn't a big help, since it's still (very) incomplete but here's what's in the Affinity help:

The minimum and recommended system requirements are as follows:

• Intel processor with 64-bit support
  • ?? GB of RAM (?? GB recommended)
  • ?? GB of available hard-disk space for installation*
  • 1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended) with 16-bit video card

* additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices).

I´m running Affinity on a Late 2008 13-inch Macbook Aluminium (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Geforce 9400 256MB) with 8GB RAM on a Samsung SSD 840 Pro. Using Mavericks as OS. No problems whatsoever.

• Staff

Hello,

Sorry for the late response on this - quite busy fixing all the bugs you guys are finding ;)

Ok, so, Affinity Designer needs:

1.) Mac OS X 10.7.8 or later - obviously recommend Mavericks, if that's available to you...

2.) A 64 bit Intel CPU.

3.) Any OpenGL compatible GPU. We have tested as many as we can get our hands on. All Macs from 2007 onward should be fine - if you have a problem, please let us know. We use OpenGL in a few ways - our hybrid rendering engine being the obvious one. OpenGL is a pig of a thing though - so the more types of Mac people can test with, the better...

RAM is not so much of a problem for Designer - I would expect it to work well with 2GB or more - acceptably with 1GB.

I agree that we should make this more clear in our beta website / email communication - I'll see if I can get someone to sort that out...

Thanks,

Andy.

Thanks, folks!

I've installed Designer after upgrading to Mavericks, and my first impressions (from a very brief run!) are positive.  I hope to play a bit more with it this coming weekend.

For what it's worth, here's my system, in brief:

20" iMac (mid 2009)
   2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
   3 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
   NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB
   OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

James

• Staff

Hi James,

I'd imagine your system would work just fine - I actually developed a fair amount of Affinity Designer on a Late-2008 MacBook Pro with a Core 2 Duo and I obviously tried to make sure that the performance was always at a pleasing level :)

Let us know how you're getting on when you've had chance to play a bit more!

Matt

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm on a Dell Latitude with an i7-2760QM CPU@ 2.40ghz, dual core I believe, Windows 7 64bit and 8GB of RAM.

I know Affinity can't do multiple instances but you can drag a tab out and simulate multi instances well enough. Doing this KILLS my system.

I am prepared to ask for more RAM or even a new machine from IT but can anyone comment about system specs? It seems like mine is not appreciating Affinity very much. Any thoughts? Affinity also crashes several times a day (somehow triggered some of the times at least by rolling the scroll wheel where I have unsaved changes in an active afdesign file I'm working on). I've grown VERY fond of this application and it always recovers my post-crash files and I've not lost much work due to this very effective disaster avoidance stuff going on in the background.

Any thoughts? More RAM at least?

Thank you!