You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Install FAQ

• Staff

During the installation of the Affinity range on Windows, the following issues can be flagged. Please see below the descriptions and possible mitigations available.

• Unable to upgrade applications - "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package."

This is a known issue with MSI based installers on Windows. Microsoft have a tool to repair corrupted install databases

- Please see https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

• How do I know if my PC is running a 64-bit or 32-bit Operating system

Affinity on Windows requires a 64-bit Operating System. Some PCs and laptops run 32-bit OS.

- Please see https://support.microsoft.com/help/13443 Which Windows operating system am I running?

• Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or higher not found

Affinity requires Windows 7 Service pack 1 - this can be installed through Windows Update.

• DirectX 11 not found

Affinity uses DirectX 11 acceleration to achieve smooth panning and zooming of the design canvas.

- Please see https://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113 for how to install DirectX 11.

• Platform Update for Windows 7 not found

Affinity requires the platform update for Windows 7.

- Please see www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=36805

• 64-bit CPU not found

Your PC only has a 32-bit CPU. Unfortunately Affinity will not run on your PC unless it has a 64-bit CPU.

• 64-bit Windows not found (but CPU is 64-bit)

Your PC has a 64-bit CPU but you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows.

- Please install a 64-bit version of Windows.

• Aero requirement to run the Software

We require Desktop Windows Management Composition, rather than native Graphics drivers. This is natively on for Windows 8 and 10, but on Windows 7 this is most easily achieved by turning Aero ON. If you are not willing to turn the Aero theme on there is a work around described in this post, but any issues when running the software won't be logged unless they've been verified as still occurring with DWM Composition enabled.

A more general FAQ regarding the Affinity range including Affinity Designer can be found here in the Questions forum.

I downloaded the setup file, but I can't install it.

I have this error message: "Exception: imageload failed"
I download the setup file, and launched.

I chosed the language (english), then i click next. After that I received this error message:

post-31973-0-60807800-1467279321_thumb.jpg

I download the setup file once agen, but the error message appears again.

I have windows 10 Pro x64

I have install any windows update, and application to run it.
(I tried to rename exe to zip, and unpack it, but winrar say: "The archive is damaged")

Sorry I'm not english, my knowledge isn't perfect.

Hello, could you tell us the username that you are logged onto Windows with? Does it contain accented characters or other non-ASCII characters? If you press "Windows Key + E", and then go to the address bar and type %APPDATA%, can you paste that address here?

• Staff

Why do you need Windows Aero? I thought it’s absolutely useless rubbish and disabled it years ago.

When you disable Aero it also disables hardware graphics composition. Affinity is hardware acceleration to achieve smooth panning/zooming and rendering.

• Staff

I downloaded the setup file, but I can't install it.

I have this error message: "Exception: imageload failed"

I download the setup file, and launched.

I chosed the language (english), then i click next. After that I received this error message:

attachicon.gif13580474_1022247931155579_6481273125107016609_o.jpg

I download the setup file once agen, but the error message appears again.

I have windows 10 Pro x64

I have install any windows update, and application to run it.

(I tried to rename exe to zip, and unpack it, but winrar say: "The archive is damaged")

Sorry I'm not english, my knowledge isn't perfect.

Hi Victoryus,

Where did you save the EXE too? If possible could you try running it from your desktop or failing that from the root of your C:\ Drive.

Hi Peeps,

Sorry, I am a complete newbie here! I have downloaded and installed the Windows Beta, but I can't get it to run. No error messages, I get the initial graphic telling the version number etc, but that disappears and nothing happens. I would be grateful for any guidance you could give.

Thanks in advance!

• Staff

Thx, I dropped it to C:\\ -and it works!

That's great to to hear! However we do still need to fix the issue that was causing it. Would you be able to post the location where you was originally running the EXE from when it was failing?

Thanks!

Hi Peeps,

Sorry, I am a complete newbie here! I have downloaded and installed the Windows Beta, but I can't get it to run. No error messages, I get the initial graphic telling the version number etc, but that disappears and nothing happens. I would be grateful for any guidance you could give.

Thanks in advance!

I am having the exact same problem, I am using Windows 7 Service pack 1, my hardware is sufficient and all software necessary is up-to-date.

Installed Affinity Beta for Windows on my 64 bit Windows 10 PC and I am experiencing the problem of seeing the splash screen for 10 or so seconds, then nothing else happens.

I have tried re-installing as an administrator to the root of C:\ and also to the desktop with the same result.

Bob.

I can't install install on win 8.1 64bit. Installation repeatedly fail (freez) installing prerequisite: Microsoft .NET Framework.

Any solution?

I'm having the same problem as igor, just stuck right here.  I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, 64-bit machine, service pack 1.  If I enable compatibility mode for Windows 7, it interrupts the install and says "Prerequisite installation cancelled".  When I turn off compatibility mode, it goes back to getting stuck.  I can use my computer as normal, but the screen below was stuck at this point for more than 30 minutes.

CmN8xxXWYAAcKpC.jpg

I can't install install on win 8.1 64bit. Installation repeatedly fail (freez) installing prerequisite: Microsoft .NET Framework.

Any solution?

Same here on Win7 64bit (SP1)

Now after a restart, it automatically cancels prerequisite installation after a few seconds.

98iZtwD.png

If you're having the same issue as me, this thread helped me make progress:  https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21282-fell-at-the-first-hurdle/

We're interested in trying to fix this issue, so if you could help with that it would be great. But as a workaround, you can install .NET Framework 4.5.2 directly from Microsoft, and then our installer shouldn't even attempt to install the prerequisite.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=42642

I downloaded and installed, restarted my computer, and I was able to get through the install process.  What happens next probably won't be appropriate for this thread.

Any solution?

The same problem on the same system. What version of framework is required? I'll try to install it yourself

I'm struggling with the requirement for DirectX 10. Affinity tells me I need it, the Q&A here gives me a MS page that has no mention of Win 10 and as far as I can see it should happen as part of a normal Windows update.

Can anyone shed any light on it please?

ArtB

I have just downloaded the Beta and installed it without a hitch on a cheap Asus laptop running Windows 8.1. I have just one comment about the installation: The first thing it does is ask me to choose an install language. Since English is not my mother tongue, I clicked on the choices to see if my language was available (it rarely is). Well, it turns out there was only one option, English.

Fine, I understand English just fine. But what is the point of prompting us to choose an install language if there only is one choice? Not only does it add a completely useless step to the setup, it also makes everyone (but those who accept the default) see that there is no i18n available for this software.

Adam

• Staff

I have just downloaded the Beta and installed it without a hitch on a cheap Asus laptop running Windows 8.1. I have just one comment about the installation: The first thing it does is ask me to choose an install language. Since English is not my mother tongue, I clicked on the choices to see if my language was available (it rarely is). Well, it turns out there was only one option, English.

Fine, I understand English just fine. But what is the point of prompting us to choose an install language if there only is one choice? Not only does it add a completely useless step to the setup, it also makes everyone (but those who accept the default) see that there is no i18n available for this software.

Adam

The installer language should be populated. We should support English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese.

I will get the guys to look at the installer tomorrow.

• Staff

I'm struggling with the requirement for DirectX 10. Affinity tells me I need it, the Q&A here gives me a MS page that has no mention of Win 10 and as far as I can see it should happen as part of a normal Windows update.

Can anyone shed any light on it please?

ArtB

Can you tell us what graphics card/chip your PC has?

If you're having the same issue as me, this thread helped me make progress:  https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21282-fell-at-the-first-hurdle/

We're interested in trying to fix this issue, so if you could help with that it would be great. But as a workaround, you can install .NET Framework 4.5.2 directly from Microsoft, and then our installer shouldn't even attempt to install the prerequisite.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=42642

I downloaded and installed, restarted my computer, and I was able to get through the install process.  What happens next probably won't be appropriate for this thread.

This fixes the installation but now when I open the app, ta da... APPCRASH

FIXED:
Uninstalled:
Affinity
C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.24123
NET Framework 4.5.2

Turned-off:
Microsoft Security Essentians
Malwarebytes

Installed Affinity, this time 100% working.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.