You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Install FAQ

I am working for a major University and I am trying to install the beta version in a few of our labs for testing. I am utilizing SCCM 2012 to deploy the software with. I have tried a standalone package and a package utilizing Powershell Scripts. Is there any tips or ideas you can provide me with to deploy this silently over an SCCM network please? I could also use any switches that work for this type of installation.

• Staff

I am working for a major University and I am trying to install the beta version in a few of our labs for testing. I am utilizing SCCM 2012 to deploy the software with. I have tried a standalone package and a package utilizing Powershell Scripts. Is there any tips or ideas you can provide me with to deploy this silently over an SCCM network please? I could also use any switches that work for this type of installation.

Thanks for your interest in Affinity. We don't have advice for deploying over SCCM yet but this is something we are looking into together with volume licensing systems early next year,

• Staff

Hey JohnW, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

It sounds like you have signed up for the trial and downloaded the Mac version.

We will be doing a Windows trial eventually so you might want to hold out for that. The beta ended for Windows Designer yesterday when we released the retail version.

JohnW,

"I'm new to this working on a Windows10 system : have downloaded the beta file which is a .dmg file - will not open or launch. Guidance please."

There are actually two installers. One is the .dmg file which is for Apple products and then there is a .exe file which is for Windows. Ensure that Windows 10 1611 Patch or later is installed for the software to be able to function correctly in Windows environments. I tested on varied deployments and anything before the 1611 patch is really buggy and can have errors upon installation.

Please visit:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/windows/and download the correct installer for Windows.

Now I have received a reply from the download support team saying Affinity Designer for Windows10 trial is not yet available in the UK! "The Windows trial isn't ready just yet we should have it available in the next few weeks :)"

I'm a bit confused as there seem to be plenty of people using it on the forum, unless they are all USA users. And, why would I be sent a link with a .dmg file download to use on Windows10?

I would appreciate some guidance on this please.

• Staff

Hi JohnW,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

What other users were running up to 17 November was the Pubic Beta of Affinity Designer. The Public Beta phase has now ended and the Beta isn't available anymore since Affinity Designer is now available for purchase as a finished product  (launched yesterday 17 November). From now on only customers who have purchased the retail version will be able to access the Customer Betas. Users who haven't purchased the application can only try it through the trial which we don't have ready yet (it should be available soon).

Hello Great Developers & Designers!

I'm trying to install the full version here on Window 7 Home Basic with SP1 64 Bit

Apart of the requirements, I was instructed to install the Platform Update first, which i did here

z26evbl.png

This dialog box has running more than 1 hour and there's no progress yet, and I'm installing the file named Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64

My PC's were never being updated before, and this perhaps the culprit but you might know better

Please advise

Thanks!

Regards

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Window 7 Home, SP1 64 Bit | NVIDIA GeForce | Intel i7 3630 2.40GHz

My PC's were never being updated before, and this perhaps the culprit but you might know better

It might simply be then downloading and installing a lot of files... or needing to install previous hordes of files till gets to the point it's ready for the final needed update... ;)

maybe first update everything till the thing(windows) doesn't cry anymore and does not ask for more updates or reboots. Then go ahead and try the install the affinity app again ?

when leaving too much time with no update, there might be conflicts in the way that need human resolving... so, IMO, in that situation, first update everything of the recommended, and watch the optional ones for if there's some important ones also there. And once is completely up to date, then go and try the install again, imho...Most o fthe times, when leaving too much time Windows without updates, it will need several batches and reboots till being fully updated.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Great! Kudos on the research ! :)

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I have just downloaded (and already bought) the most recent version 1.5.2 for Windows and I'm trying to install it but nothing happens. I start the installer, Windows asks me for Admin permissions, I click okay, I then see the loading cursor of Windows and after 5-6 seconds I get the normal cursor but nothing happens. No installer, no error message, nothing. I can see the installer process is getting removed when I open the taskmanager.

I'm using Windows 10 with the latest Creators Update (1703).

Any idea what could be wrong here?

I tested the public beta a few months back and it worked fine. I've got the same problem with the trial version installer. I open it, get asked for admin permissions, loading cursor, process dead.

I click okay, I then see the loading cursor of Windows and after 5-6 seconds I get the normal cursor but nothing happens.

It is curious indeed, as those symptoms do happen exactly when the process was already there and tend to get solved just terminating the process and running the installer again. I run always in admin mode... Might it be some policy you could check -if you really know what you are doing- in administrative tools ?

A better advice first would be to try and do this : Right click on the desktop A.Photo (or AD) icon , click on "open file location" or "open folder" , however it says in English, then find there the exe file that runs the prorgam (ie: Photo.exe ) , right click over it, select "run as administrator". In case when you get asked "give administration rights?" is not doing it fully, or  there's -could be- some directive disallowing it. I for one would just try in admin full mode (login into Windows as admin), just to go eliminating causes (if it'd work, it clearly is sth about security directives and would be easy to nail down)  . Also, might want to check if could be a software third party firewall or antivirus (and even Windows firewall) blocking a collection of actions there... Like letting an application override the type of user you are in, as you are clearly in a user, not admin session. 

Probably the right click, run as administrator is the best thing to try first. If it works just doing so, I'd recommend for not having to do that every  time, to right click on that exe, and click instead in "properties", then go to "compatibility" (again, if is how is worded in English Windows 10 version) tab, and mark "Run application as administrator". So, this exe will ALWAYS run as administrator until you change it back, of course.

I've got a strong feeling that if is not a dll/procces/driver conflict kind of thing (which could be much harder to track down), it has a lot of chances to be the matter of admin privileges. Running as admin I'd be almost to bet it'd work right away...Unless the issue is, as mentioned, a third part antivirus or firewall. (or even some setting in Windows 10 firewall )

Ok, that's all I've got... A lot for being my after lunch almost-asleep minutes...

PD: I am in WINDOWS 7. I hope the procedure is similar in Windows 10, but naming and locations, tabs, might have changed a bit, just pls adapt the explanations if so to your OS...

Hi 

Hello Great Developers & Designers!

I'm trying to install the full version here on Window 7 Home Basic with SP1 64 Bit
Apart of the requirements, I was instructed to install the Platform Update first, which i did here
z26evbl.png
This dialog box has running more than 1 hour and there's no progress yet, and I'm installing the file named Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64

Please advise

Thanks!

Regards
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Window 7 Home, SP1 64 Bit | NVIDIA GeForce | Intel i7 3630 2.40GHz

Hi Scott is here,

This type of issues only occurred Either your internet connection is Slow or not working OR Your windows firewall is blocked. 

You can also restart your PC or Laptop and try again .

If it is not working then reply me..

• 6 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.