You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to fix horrible UI fonts?

See the attached image - fonts aren't antialiazed at all, and this bug is in Affinity Designer only - other programs' UIs have smooth and nice fonts.

Windows 7 PRO SP1

processor i7-4790

video GT 630

memory 8GB 

1TB HDD

I've installed the update for windows that affinity asked for, and enabled aero (hate it, but oh well).

post-32660-0-26008900-1467479683_thumb.png

Not Ophie, but I do have AD running under Windows 10 Pro and I also see the font problem.

I should add that I have not experienced any of the other problems with installing or running the program that are clearly affecting at least a substantial minority of users of the beta.  I am not an expert in graphic design so have not needed to test many of the more complex features. 

Computer Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

i7 6700k processor

32Gb Ram

AMI Radeon R7 360 graphics card

System Drive (C:\) is 250 Gb SSD (but see below for note on where AD is actually installed on my machine)

Because I have a partition on a 1Tb HDD dedicated to "Programs" (D:\), AD is installed in a folder on that drive, alongside all my other Serif programs.  From my experience, it seems to be perfectly possible to have AD (version 1.5.0.4) running successfully from a "non-standard" installation location.

Perhaps one other point is also relevant with reference to other problems experienced by some users; Windows 10 was a "clean" install (sort of!)  It is actually a brand new computer on which I first installed Win 7 Pro 64 bit (and nothing else - I had a spare installation disc) and then did the "free" upgrade to Win 10.

post-28542-0-57379000-1467484460_thumb.jpg

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Mark, screen resolution is 1920x1080 and ClearType is on.

Edit to add; on my machine this font problem occurs ONLY on screens like "Preferences"; the main UI text display is absolutely fine!

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

That's unusual, is it like that across all of the UI?

yes, all of the UI is like that.

and yes, clear type is on.

and as well as emmrecs01 I didn't have any problems installing and running AD on my very old Win7 distributive that I ever updated only because AD asked me to.

What's your screen resolution nekto?

1920x1080

PS: if it helps, my monitor specs:

Dell S2340L, 1920x1080, 8M:1, HDMI, 7ms, IPS

Connected with HDMI-DVI cable to GT 630 (not GTX 630, just GT 630)

But again, all other programs render fonts nicely and smoothly, bug occurs only in AD

Can you attach a screenshot of your whole desktop with Affinity Designer running and perhaps Windows Explorer in the middle? i.e. maximise Designer, and then drag an Explorer window into the middle of the screen so I can see the difference in font rendering.

Thanks nekto, I think I've fixed the issue now, so it should be available in the next build.

A much welcomed fix I must say. Sometimes it was hard to make out the labels without anti-aliasing. 

• 3 months later...

Hi.

I've tuned Clear Type settings today and now I have the ugly UI fonts too in Affinity Designer.

So adjusting Clear Type seems to cause the problem.

I'm running the latest beta to date (1.5.0.24).

This is my first message. Thanks to Affinity Team for bringing us such amazing tools. A happy Mac user customer :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Windows 7 with 1920x1080 screen and have the same issue on ver 1.5.0.26

Clear type is enabled, Windows font scaling is 100%...

And It's only Affinity Designer with "ugly" fonts... all other apps I have are fine. 

2016-10-25_1136.png

BTW - awesome app ;-)

• 1 month later...

Hello Affinity,

first message here :-) 

I already bought Affinity Designer (for Windows) and are now testing the photo beta version (1.5.0.39). I deleted the shortcut of photoshop to forces me to use affinity instead.. We will see^^

I am experiencing the same problem with the font.

I have a laptop with a 4k resolution (windows 10 64). If I use my laptop only I have no issue, the fonts are sharp.

However, I usually work with two attached monitors with a "classical resolution" of 1920X1080.

In that configuration, the UI fonts are indeed ugly.

I updated my drivers, played around with the refresh rate and resolution but couldn't fix it.

Thank you!

Tl;dr UI fonts are ugly with external monitor(s) on laptop

font.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

likewise.....windows 7 pro , NVIDIA 980TI card, 32GB of ram....2560x1440 monitor....Fonts are the same problem here...

Latest version of both designer and photo

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

• 2 months later...

Same problem here. I have the latest version of Affinity Photo for Windows. No other programs I use have this issue. Would be great if you can address this UI issue.

Laptop is a MSI Stealth Pro, GTX970 (4gb), Win10. It renders the UI fonts poorly on both the laptop and external displays.

post-60949-0-60069900-1496717055_thumb.jpg

post-60949-0-03584500-1496717062_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.