You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to fix horrible UI fonts?

I am testing affinity, and I have the same issue on Windows 10 build 15063.413, Affinity Designer 1.5.3.69 (trial).

http://imgur.com/a/azNFt

Can you tell me a bit about your system? How many monitors do you have? What display scale do you have them set to? What's the display scale of the monitor that Designer was running on? Do you have ClearType enabled?

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem with Affinity Photo 1.5.2 (NOT beta). I asked about the problem here.

I own ASUS N73SV laptop and external LG 22MP65 display hooked up to HDMI port. My system is windows 10. ClearType was enabled by default. Both displays have native 1920x1080p resolution without scaling, they syncronized in windows settings (see attachment). Fonts look horrible on both displays no matter plugged or unplugged external one. I don't use displays simultaneously. Lid is always closed and i use external LG (because of IPS).

Screenshot from 2017-10-17 14-16-11.png

Screenshot from 2017-10-17 14-37-10.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have just installed AF to try if it's a good replacement for Adobe's software which is becoming even worse.

So but I faced the same issue the others here have and it seems like that there's no fix available for this right?

The font inside AF (UI) ist really horrible, it's not smooth, I always see a thin magenta line on every character and that makes it nearly unuseable because it really burns my eyes.

I'm running the latest Version of Windows 10. I'm using a good EIZO Display (2560x1440) and a GTX 680. I'm not experiencing any of this type issues in any other software. It's only AF.

Hopefully you can see that on the screenshot as well.

http://d.pr/i/SX30gO/2UxI32ce

It would really be nice if there's any possibility to fix that because I'm seriously looking for an alternative to Adobe.

Thank you so far!

1 hour ago, Roxas said:

I have just installed AF to try if it's a good replacement for Adobe's software which is becoming even worse.

So but I faced the same issue the others here have and it seems like that there's no fix available for this right?

The font inside AF (UI) ist really horrible, it's not smooth, I always see a thin magenta line on every character and that makes it nearly unuseable because it really burns my eyes.

I'm running the latest Version of Windows 10. I'm using a good EIZO Display (2560x1440) and a GTX 680. I'm not experiencing any of this type issues in any other software. It's only AF.

Hopefully you can see that on the screenshot as well.

http://d.pr/i/SX30gO/2UxI32ce

It would really be nice if there's any possibility to fix that because I'm seriously looking for an alternative to Adobe.

Thank you so far!

The magenta and yellow outlines you can see are Windows' ClearType. What is your Windows display scale?

3 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks, can you provide a screenshot of another application that doesn't have this issue?

Okay, that's weird. I've just started AF again to make a new screenshot for you to compare it with other applications and now the font rendering is fine! Don't know what happened.

Hope it will stay smooth now. Otherwise I will come back to you.

Sorry and thank you anyway. :)

• 2 years later...

Super old thread, but since I had the same issue with my RX 580 after applying new recommended settings by the AMD Radeon software, I assume that others will too. Fonts looked awful everywhere. I tried updating the driver and played with pretty much every setting I could find.

This fixed it completely: Disabling Windows HD Colour (HDR) in Display Settings. Hope it helps others :)

Phew, what a relief...

Edited by Methodical

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.