You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I think it's a very good software.

I use to do some technical drawings in illustrator and export them in eps in cmyk for other software, I think that this is one of the most important things in a pro software.

I tried the same think in affinity but 3 on 4 files I did  gave me an error when importing in illustrator. It erased some lines. I worked in directly eps and not native file format (maybe that?)

ok, we deleted those files ... :huh:  :rolleyes:  :unsure:

but we encountered some problems in exporting eps from other files. Attached there are the affinity file and 2 options of exported eps.

The exportation doesn't look correct when imported in illustrator, affinity rasterize the grandients.

Some times also when exporting a thick line it creates some outline of the line (like a rectangle) and not a line with some width.

it is important the compatibility with illustrator because our drawings go to those softwares fo other elaborations.

download from here

• Staff

Hi Oswald__,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Regarding your sample files, Affinity is not rasterising the gradients. If you open the files in another application other than Illustrator you will see that the gradients are editable.

It's illustrator who is rasterising the gradients when it imports data from EPS generated by other apps. EPS files generated by Illustrator have an AI file embedded as a comment that lets it load all the data from it as editable objects and discard the rest of EPS data. Since third-party apps cannot read/save this embedded AI file comment (because it's a proprietary format) we have to rely on the official EPS specs to output the file which Illustrator ignores/rasterises when there's no embedded AI file.

The second example file (the one which has transparency) is actually rasterised by Affinity Photo on export because EPS specs don't support any kind of transparency.

It's illustrator who is rasterising the gradients when it imports data from EPS generated by other apps.

Not all applications generate an EPS that Illy cannot properly use the gradients. I have two other applications that generate an EPS that Illy reads the gradients properly from. No private data, either, of course. Just pure EPS.

It can be done. There's nothing special about a gradient in an EPS file.

Mike, could you attach an example of an EPS with gradient that Illustrator imports as vector, for us to look at? I agree, there should be nothing special about gradients. It's clear that Illustrator understands our gradients correctly, because it is able to rasterise them correctly and the result looks right. I've never understood why it chose to rasterise. If there's a straightforward way to stop that happening, I'd gladly adopt it.

Hello Dave--sure thing.

The attachment is exported from InkScape. "Plain" EPS does not allow for non-banded (multi-element for gradients) EPS files, even from AI. The exception is radial gradients in version 10 format--which can also be done with "faked" elliptical if one starts out with an object that uses a radial gradient on a circular object and then deforms the circle. Weird, but it works.

EPS has official extensions to the EPS language. One of those extensions is to define gradients. This is what I have added to InkScape to produce AI-compatible EPS files that contain gradients. I can look up the web address for the extension, though it is likely on the Wikipedia page for InkScape.

Mike

3.zip

• 1 month later...

hello.

iam using affinity designer for windows.
for the first time iam using affinity i love it,i think this app will be great for alternative design app.
before using affinity iam using inkscape,and inkscape able to eps format compatible with illustrator 8 or 10 with this script http://primandras.hu/inkscape-ai-compatible-eps-exporter/

but when iam using affinity not to be compatible with illustrator 8 or 10.

very unfortunate with amazing design app like affinity designer can not support compatible ai eps.
i hope affinity designer as an alternative design app for young designers.

thanks.

best regards.

• 11 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.