You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PLEASE READ THIS: Sharing Guidelines

MattP

Hey folks, quick question as I'm starting to become more active and don't want to spam:

Is it better for me to post individual pieces of work as separate threads in the forum, or is it better to make one single thread where you can find all of my work and keep adding to it? I've seen a few people do this but wasn't sure if there are any rules regarding how often you can post things.

Many thanks!

@melior64
Always Learning | Always Improving
Website   |   Twitter   |   Instagram   |   YouTube

melior64, I don’t think there are any rules, or even guidelines, about how to post multiple works.

As you say, some people post multiple times to the same thread and others create multiple threads.
Personally I post my stuff as individual posts as they are simply experimental things that I thought people might want to see before I move on to something else. Also, it makes it a little easier for anyone trying to find them as they can search the titles for a particular keyword and go straight there rather than scroll though loads of other posts.
However, if you want to make your posts into some kind of ‘portfolio’ then a multi-post thread will probably be better for you, but it’s worth noting that if you keep posting the same sort of thing then some people may get bored with the repetition and just end up ignoring the thread completely. In this case, any new original work may also be ignored which might be a shame.

My recommendation would be – and this is totally unofficial as I have no affiliation with the Affinity team or Serif – to create a thread for each type of different work that you do. E.g. One thread for composition work, another for poster illustrations, another for magazine layouts, etc. This way, people who aren’t interested in one type of work still have a chance of seeing your newest creations as they can review the threads they are interested in and ignore everything else.
If you create threads with titles such as ‘melior64 – Composition Work’ or ‘melior64 – Book Covers’ then people will know what’s there and can react as they see fit.

All that said though, it’s really a case of “horses for courses”; just do whatever feels right for you. If you do anything wrong or strange then I’m sure someone will point it out.

On 8/23/2019 at 5:15 PM, melior64 said:

Is it better for me to post individual pieces of work as separate threads in the forum, or is it better to make one single thread where you can find all of my work and keep adding to it? 

If you post your work to a single thread, people that like your style/work can just follow the thread and get notified anytime you add another masterpiece.

If you post new work to a new post every time it gets harder to track your posts or to go back and find something you may want to steal admire again later.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:32 AM, carl123 said:

... and find something you may want to steal admire again later.

--> and find something you may want to be inspired by again later. :-)

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

Regarding that issue with png files:

I have found that jpg is working mostly without problems. PNG mostly create problems. 

Is it really the file format? Or does anything else triggers that error posted earlier? 

Would be still nice to know what that error message means... 

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2015 at 9:23 AM, MattP said:

If I used Pinterest, I'd follow you too - I just have a 'thing' about sites that badger me to join! If it let me just browse and do whatever I felt like in a non-intrusive way, I'd probably enjoy it and join up, but the fact that it nags me to sign up/login at every single page makes me angry enough that I'm determined to not join up, even though I want to! I'm sure there's a saying about this including the words 'nose', 'spite' and 'face'... ;)

I hate pinterest with a passion, it basically spams your image searches. Fortunately there's an extension that hides it all, it's called "Unpinterested!". Someone said Behance is only for Adobe stuff. You can post whatever you want on there, even natural media like pencil drawings or paintings so Affinity stuff is fine. I post the odd bit of my AD scribbles, not that many look at it!

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 2 years later...

I am at a loss to understand why some people find it so hard to follow a simple, clear instruction.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

• Staff
1 hour ago, AffinityJules said:

I am at a loss to understand why some people find it so hard to follow a simple, clear instruction.

We have many many pages of amazing threads that prove people understand what is needed. I hope this extra guidance will help everyone understand what we hope to see posted on the forums, and we can all enjoy the results.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon