You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta - 1.5.0.12 (Windows)

Purpose: Stability

Requirements: None

Download: 1.5.0.12 Beta Here

As this is a beta release, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4, which means files created with the Windows beta cannot be opened in the Mac AppStore version of Designer, instead you will need the latest macOS beta.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed UI Gamma slider in preferences
  • Fixed Guides Manager to display in preferred number of decimal places
  • Fixed Corner Tool to allow numbers greater than 5
  • Added embedded document assets to Assets Panel
  • Added subcategory Move Up / Move Down to Assets Panel
  • Added search control to Assets Panel
  • Fixed crash when changing paper size in Printer Properties dialog
  • Fixed PDF font replacements so they are now remembered
  • Fixed Measurement mode on Artboards
  • Fixed boolean operations not invalidating after undo / redo
  • Fixed disappearing symbols when docking / undocking
  • Fixed fx button on Layers panel to show for the row that was clicked, not the current selection
  • Updated Artboards to disallow constraints (because they define the document size, which in turn would affect them)
  • Fixed Pen Tool to draw the tool when editing nodes during creation
  • Fixed trivial bool operations generating invalid curves
  • Fixed crash when scrolling through History
  • Fixed Align Distribute not working correctly from the context toolbar
  • Added dragging to opacity label on the Layers panel
  • Fixed placing images/embedded documents to use their DPI rather than assume 96
  • Fixed History panel not scrolling to latest item when after not being visible
  • Fixed copying of Export settings to clipboard
  • Fixed Layers panel continuously redrawing
  • Fixed Tools column width setting reverting to 1
  • Fixed Show Tools causes a crash if it has already been hidden
  • Fixed right click on document causing the selection to hide
  • Fixed scroll speed with mouse wheel / trackpad (it nows moves a quarter of the distance it did previously)
  • Fixed message dialogs not closing with the correct option when using the Escape key
  • Fixed copying and pasting a nested Symbol between documents so that it no longer sets up a cross-document link
  • Fixed import and export of RTF to correctly load fonts and characters in codepage 1250
  • Added RTF text to clipboard when copying text
  • Fixed PDF export to prevent named layers from being optimised away for PDF formats that support them
  • Fixed Text tool so right-click changes the text selection (unless it hits the current text selection)
  • Fixed Alt+Click on Layer thumbnail on already selected item not solo'ing the selection
  • Fixed SVG import to load <a> tags as a group
  • Fixed SVG export of relative coordinates to use a relative “m” for a move to a subcurve of a polycurve 

Installer

• The installer now requires Windows 7 Platform Update (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=36805) before it will install (previously it would continue the installation, but the app wouldn't let you start it)
  • Default install location is now C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer (upgrades will continue to install into the previous location)
  • The %APPDATA% folder has now moved to Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta), so your next start will lose your preferences

Hello again Mark. I was so excited to see this new update ... hoping that I could now use Affinity on my larger screen  - sadly this still isn't possible and the program still becomes huge on the large screen, making it unusable for me.

"My second screen (resolution 1920x1080 magnified 125%)  The image is okay on my laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 250%)

Prior to this and the previous update both worked perfectly. Any ideas please?

Martigny

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

That's not in my control panel. Neither is custom scaling. (image attached). I have a whizzy friend just turned up who has a solution. I shall let you know how it goes :)

post-32140-0-78389200-1471515329_thumb.jpg

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

Hello again Mark. I was so excited to see this new update ... hoping that I could now use Affinity on my larger screen  - sadly this still isn't possible and the program still becomes huge on the large screen, making it unusable for me.

"My second screen (resolution 1920x1080 magnified 125%)  The image is okay on my laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 250%)

Prior to this and the previous update both worked perfectly. Any ideas please?

Martigny

Just to let you guys know, I've got a screen with that resolution, a LG 29, and it's working just fine for me. I use windows 7 though.

So that's where it was hiding :)

post-32140-0-01591600-1471516366_thumb.jpg

Thanks for another update.

The UI slider seems to work now properly.

Unfortunately I see a very strange thing after starting AD.

The window opens not maximised. When I click the top right icon to make the AD window go full screen the background of the screen gets dark (like the background of the AD window). But the content of the window itself does stay where it was before.

Please see attached screenshot.

d.

post-32410-0-39552800-1471519776_thumb.jpg

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Is this only after changing the UI Gamma?

No, it happened right after the first start, before I even could try the UI gamma slider.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

• so your next start will lose your preferences

This is true, e.g. it reverts back to it's standard styles  ;)

I just do not know where my custom styles are stored so that I can reimport them.

Thanks for any help,

d.

This is true, e.g. it reverts back to it's standard styles  ;)

I just do not know where my custom styles are stored so that I can reimport them.

Thanks for any help,

d.

You can just copy your %APPDATA%\Serif\Affinity Designer\1.0 (Beta) folder over the top of the new %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta) folder.

You can just copy your %APPDATA%\Serif\Affinity Designer\1.0 (Beta) folder over the top of the new %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta) folder.

Thanks for this, Mark. Before I did that I didn't have any access keys for the menu options.

post-8358-0-89695300-1471537956_thumb.png

post-8358-0-70229200-1471538011_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi, new user here. Love the features so far, but i have quite a lot of bugs and requests. 

BUGS

• Ctrl+Dragging duplicates makes 2 entries in history (Duplicate and Transform) But Undo after this only undo's the transform part, leaving you with multiple stacked copies of the same object. Consolidate undo points!!!
  • Autoload after crash fails, can't quit application normally, it says  "at least one file is currently being opened" 1.5.0.11 (dunno if its fixed in .12)
  • Selecting a Font from the font dropdown list with the KEYBOARD (arrows, then enter), doesn't select the font im standing on. Seems totally random which one it chooses.

• Ctrl+Dragging duplicates makes 2 entries in history (Duplicate and Transform) But Undo after this only undo's the transform part, leaving you with multiple stacked copies of the same object. Consolidate undo points!!!

That one has been mentioned quite a few times. :(

• Autoload after crash fails, can't quit application normally, it says  "at least one file is currently being opened" 1.5.0.11

I've seen that in a previous build, but not recently.

(dunno if its fixed in .12)

Why don't you install build 12 and find out? ;)

• Selecting a Font from the font dropdown list with the KEYBOARD (arrows, then enter), doesn't select the font im standing on. Seems totally random which one it chooses.

I can confirm that it doesn't select the font that I've landed on with the arrow keys, but it doesn't seem random. As far as I can see, the new font is only semi-highlighted but the old font is fully highlighted, so it reverts to the old one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That one has been mentioned quite a few times. :(

Man, I've been using Affinity Desginer for the last few days, and for the love of god i didn't know why i always have like 7 copies of the same object on top of each other !! :D

And i mean all the time... Now at least i know to double undo after i drag.

Still... this one is a major pain.

Thankyou, that did the trick  :)

d.

BUG

Modifying constraints in different sized symbols = all sorts of bugs.

This one i cant't really describe, so it's just faster to open the file and all you have to do is move one of the blue little squares, and the other symbol will behave totally different, and you can't undo this at all.

Basically i just

• made a copy of the same symbol,
  • enabled "keep aspect ratio" and "stick to bottom side" on the blue square
  • deformed one of the instances
  • disabled "stick to bottom side"
  • now do any transformation to the blue square, and it will distort the other one.

(Sync is enabled for the whole time)

Bug - symbol.afdesign

I'm getting a REPEATABLE crash when selecting pixels and then clicking the Refine... button.

Also when cropping out pixels with the selection tools I can use the selection brush and get everything I want to delete selected (typically white backgrounds during a knockout) but then when I press Delete or Cut, when I select the object, the selection rectangle is WAY LARGER than the remaining pixels in the image?

I have to go around using the erase brush, blindly wiping across transparent pixels to finally get the bounding box to collapse down to what I see as the remaining pixels.

To perhaps visualize some "hanging pixels" I tried the Refine dialog but as I mentioned it constantly crashes for me using ..12.

This is on Win8.1 Enterprise 64-bit.

-Will

PS - Also is there a way to control the "strength" or color range of the selection brush (Fireworks user here) - changing the brush size helps, but how can I control how many similar colors it selects?

Hi Mark,

The Remote Desktop issue I reported https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22585-affinity-designer-public-beta-1506-windows/?p=106042 still persist in beta release 15.12.  Please see the attached image.  This makes it a bit difficult to test the application when one is away from their primary workstation.

It will be great if this is fixed.

Cheers,

Nana

post-13053-0-25119900-1471545649_thumb.png

I'm glad to see the updates come well.

I made a new topic for it, but it might make sense to mention this issue here. There are constant freezes when I use my Ugee tablet for drawing in Designer. I can be drawing a curve, and it strokes as I'm drawing (as normal), but then there is a two second freeze that does not show the current section of the stroke. After two seconds, it updates resulting the stroke to look messy. If I use the mouse, I do not run into that problem.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

but then there is a two second freeze that does not show the current section of the stroke. After two seconds, it updates resulting the stroke to look messy. If I use the mouse, I do not run into that problem.

I am working with a mouse only. I, too, experience this kind of freeze that is not a crash. It happened to me on moving the whole pasteboard with the space key pressed down and by rubberband selecting some objects.

d.