You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.5.0.17] Font name in font list bar

To me the major problem with the font list is that it only shows the names of the fonts in the fonts themselves, so you cannot see the names of fonts that place dingbats or other graphics in place of letters, as in this capture:

post-32179-0-36403100-1473528820_thumb.png

It would make more sense to display the name of each font in the regular system font followed by same in the font itself. That way we could both read the names of the fonts and see what they look like.

The thing is, Mark, these usually aren't symbol fonts as such. They're generally just ordinary fonts which happen to have dingbats (or Ancient Hebrew characters, or whatever) rather than letterforms from a modern alphabet. Sometimes the name of the font will include letters for which there aren't any glyphs in the font itself, so you'll end up with spaces or .notdef glyphs in the displayed name. 

Displaying the font name in the regular system font and the font itself, as Adam suggests, would probably take up too much space at a legible size, but perhaps you could tackle the problem by putting the font name in a tooltip.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Displaying the font name in the regular system font and the font itself, as Adam suggests, would probably take up too much space at a legible size, but perhaps you could tackle the problem by putting the font name in a tooltip.

Maybe something like this, then?

post-32179-0-85162800-1473543532_thumb.png

The macOS version correctly identifies these types of fonts, so we should be able to as well.

I'd be interested to know whether either version can distinguish between Adam's nice 'Crusader' dingbats and an ordinary Latin text font, but I suspect not.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi r91085,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In which font(s) are you seeing this issue or it's a general?

My all application including Drawplus display font name in Chinese 

But In AD it show them in english , it hard to distinguish them for me...

here is two screen shot for your reference, thanks~

post-28574-0-53244200-1473652161_thumb.jpg

post-28574-0-57875000-1473652162_thumb.jpg

I'd be interested to know whether either version can distinguish between Adam's nice 'Crusader' dingbats and an ordinary Latin text font, but I suspect not.

My guess would be they can read the OS/2 table in my font (and other OpenType and TrueType fonts). It contains a key called PFM Family whose value is set to Decorative (other possible values are Serif, Sans-Serif, Monospace and Script). I’m not sure how easy it is to get this information on either OS but, at least in theory, it should be available.

BTW, thanks for calling it nice.  :)

My guess would be they can read the OS/2 table in my font (and other OpenType and TrueType fonts). It contains a key called PFM Family whose value is set to Decorative (other possible values are Serif, Sans-Serif, Monospace and Script). I’m not sure how easy it is to get this information on either OS but, at least in theory, it should be available.

'PFM Family' is a new one on me: it sounds like something to do with PostScript Type 1 fonts. I was assuming that for a TTF or OTF font Affinity Designer would look at the PANOSE classification, in which case it wouldn't be able to recognize pictorial or symbol fonts which are identified as text fonts.

BTW, thanks for calling it nice.  :)

You're very welcome, Adam. I called it 'nice' because I think it is nice! ;)

Alfred spacer.png

I myself like to just shut off font previews...But, what would be nice is like in QXP where one can shut off the font previews and if needed/desired in a particular instance, holding the shift key turns them back on temporarily. The opposite also happens (if on, shift shuts them off). I never really choose fonts from inside an application but rather from my font manager.

@Alfred. I do not know how it is done, but the Wingding (and some other) fonts are symbol fonts but show the name in AD and other applications. I tried to figure it out yesterday in my spare time but couldn't.

@Alfred. I do not know how it is done, but the Wingding (and some other) fonts are symbol fonts but show the name in AD and other applications. I tried to figure it out yesterday in my spare time but couldn't.

If you open Wingdings in FontCreator and go to the Characteristics tab in the Font Properties dialog, you'll see that the PANOSE value for the Family Kind is reported as '5 - Latin Symbol (Pictorial)'. Gary Bouton's Elephants and Bears is '4 - Latin Decorative' and Adam's Crusader is '2 - Latin Text'.

From what I've read (probably including forum posts by your good self!) PANOSE classifications are frequently less than completely accurate.

Alfred spacer.png

If you open Wingdings in FontCreator and go to the Characteristics tab in the Font Properties dialog, you'll see that the PANOSE value for the Family Kind is reported as '5 - Latin Symbol (Pictorial)'. Gary Bouton's Elephants and Bears is '4 - Latin Decorative' and Adam's Crusader is '2 - Latin Text'.

From what I've read (probably including forum posts by your good self!) PANOSE classifications are frequently less than completely accurate.

Yes, I know. But using any font editor (including FC) on such a font, I cannot get the name to show up in the list like Wingdings does. In fact, it looks like FC has an issue with creating symbol fonts on Win 10--like it did with any OTF font at first release. I keep getting the invalid font file message on them.

That's beside the point, though. Using 3 other font editors I cannot get the name to show up in AD's list. Even if I begin with the Wingding font, replace the glyphs and recompile.

• 3 months later...

My all application including Drawplus display font name in Chinese 

But In AD it show them in english , it hard to distinguish them for me...

here is two screen shot for your reference, thanks~

I have just purchased AD for macOS. This problem is still not fixed in the latest version (1.5.4).

I'm a designer from Hong Kong. I have trouble choosing the correct Chinese fonts. There are two problems: 1. the Chinese font names are displayed as English names (which most softwares with text-input won't do so we are not familiar with) and 2. the now indistingishable Chinese fonts are mixed with all the other English fonts. FYI Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop organise fonts according to their respective language.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just purchased AD for macOS. This problem is still not fixed in the latest version (1.5.4).

I'm a designer from Hong Kong. I have trouble choosing the correct Chinese fonts. There are two problems: 1. the Chinese font names are displayed as English names (which most softwares with text-input won't do so we are not familiar with) and 2. the now indistingishable Chinese fonts are mixed with all the other English fonts. FYI Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop organise fonts according to their respective language.

This is the Windows Designer Beta forum, you should probably make a post in the Bugs on macOS forum instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am using Affinity Designer with Windows 10 / 2 Displays. When I have a text and choose the font in the list, Affinity freezes - is extremely slow. Does anybody have the same problem? Is there a work around?

I had this problem too.

And I still want to know So ... Is it possible to show font name in local language in AD in the future ? ...

I think this is normal way to show font name in almost all application

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.