You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What Photoshop Plugins will work with Affinity Photo Beta

HI,

I have these errors when I try Topaz Adjust5:

The first time I try I get "Error: cannot read common runtime path registry."

The second it is "IPC memory in use or image size is too big for the system."

I certainly hope you can make it work.

Pierre

The runtime path error is usually caused by using "System Cleaners" or "System Optimizing" software such as System Mechanic etc. If you are using this type of application see if you can undo any registry repairs that they did.

That error about the IPC runtime is a error generated because the inter process communications area is locked.

Type in %temp% in an explorer address line and you will come to the localappdata temp directory, In that directory is a sub directory starting with "boost_interprocess_xxx" with your username in the place of the XXX

Delete that directory and your Topaz plugins will work.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

The runtime path error is usually caused by using "System Cleaners" or "System Optimizing" software such as System Mechanic etc. If you are using this type of application see if you can undo any registry repairs that they did.

That error about the IPC runtime is a error generated because the inter process communications area is locked.

Type in %temp% in an explorer address line and you will come to the localappdata temp directory, In that directory is a sub directory starting with "boost_interprocess_xxx" with your username in the place of the XXX

Delete that directory and your Topaz plugins will work.

Thank you so much for your help.

I have deleted the folder, re-install the plugin and it works. So thanks again.

May the light be with you!

Pierre

These are the plugins that I have found to work so far with Affinity Photo. The image must be in 8 bit mode

​From the Google NIK Collection

​Analog Efex

Color Efex

​Dfine 2

Sharpener Pro

​Silver Efex

HDR Efex

​Viveza crashes Affinity Photo as soon as you add a Control Point.

​From the Topaz Collection

​DeNoise

Glow

​Impression

Texture Effects

Adjust

B+W Effects

​Clarity

Clean

​Detail

Lens Effects

​ReStyle

Simplify

​Star Effects

​ReMask gives a message about unlocking transparency first so I need to investigate that more.

Viveza 2 crashing when you add a control point it common issue when used with non adobe editing software.  It will crash PSPx8 and 9, but works with PSPx7 and Affinity. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why it works with ONE Non-Adobe program but crashes others. Until NIK makes it open source.. *shrug*

Hi Angelize,

No, currently none of the ON1 plug-ins work with Affinity Photo including ON1 Photo RAW (on Mac). I still have to check on Windows.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ON1 free ;)

It's a top-class plugin for black & white (and other color conversions as well) and considered it's free, it's on top of my list :)

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Hi Miguel, On 1 photo raw has just been released as a pre-release so it's not completely polished, but it is very fast and has some very nice capabilities.  If you are going to look at making affinity Photo work with an ON1 program Raw is probably the best one to look at. 

• Staff

Hi Miguel, On 1 photo raw has just been released as a pre-release so it's not completely polished, but it is very fast and has some very nice capabilities.  If you are going to look at making affinity Photo work with an ON1 program Raw is probably the best one to look at. 

Hi Angelize,

I already have it here for testing purposes but it's the dev teams who will take care of making it work, not me.

Hi

With latest Beta 1.5.0.42

​Viveza does not crash with Affinity Photo as soon as you add a Control Point.

Seems to work fine

Thank you

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Dell Inspiron 5570 i5-8250u | 8gb | SSD.m2 | Win 10 Pro 64

AFAIK, all the NIK plugins expect 16bit data. When I use them in Photoshop Elements or via Nikon's Capture NXD when converting from RAW, the file I send to a NIK plugin reports 16 bits before and after the plugin is run.

In Affinity Photo I ran some NIK plugins one time, I believe in 16 bit mode because the application reported it supports 32 bits. After running that one time all the NIK plugins are greyed out. I tried re-installing Affinity but although it still sees the plugins from the previous installation they don't function any more. My other plugin hosts (Capture and PSE) still use them.

I guess if it's true that Affinity can only send 8 bit data to plugins, I'll stick to Photoshop Elements for now.

Does Affinity Photo support both 32 and 64bit plugins? I think I installed 64bit versions (on Windows 10).

Affinity supports 16bit (and 32bit) to plugins. A lot of plugins won't work OK, but the nik suite is one of the good ones.

In the preferences -> plugins , make sure you've checked the 'allow unknown ' or something at the bottom and restart Photo.

Make sure you have a pixel layer selected when you want to run a plugin ! You can't run a plugin on a adjustment layer or something.

I did notice that if I try a plugin that doesn't work , after that NONE of the plugins work until I restart Photo.

I use Nik color efex all the time now.

• 6 months later...

in a completely unrelated note, I would like the Daz3d photoshop bridge to work.  This allows for easier composition with daz3d studio.  At the moment, I cannot even get them to show up, much less work.  That are in the same directory as my Anthropics set, which show up fine (only portrait pro doesn't crash Affinity at the moment).

Mac running Sierra with everything fully updated.

Daz plugin for free from www.daz3d.com

If anyone has had any luck, please share.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.