You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image when viewed in plugins is rotated

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28190-google-viveza-2-doesnt-work-with-affinity-photo/ , the third post in that thread makes reference to something I am seeing with several plugins:

Specifically, that the image displayed in the plugin screen, if the original was taken in Portrait mode, will display landscape, i.e the image is rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

This happens with the PhotoWiz plugins I have and also with Topaz (all I have), NeatImage, all constituents of the free NIK collection, MV's Wire Worm and AKVIS Nature Art.

think this was not a problem in the initial beta release, though I may not have had opportunity to test all my available plugins with a Portrait format image.

Jeff

Running latest available version of beta, 1.5.0.38

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Can confirm this is happening also.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

@anonymoustache and MEB.

I can confirm it also runs very well in AP for Windows, with the exception of the rotated view that was the reason for this thread.

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

I spotted this earlier today, it's because the plugins aren't reading the EXIF data from the image (they can't, because we just give them the raw image data). It looks like we should rotate the image before sending it to the plugin. I would imagine this has always been broken.

Just resurrecting this thread to keep it on the boil, as it were!

When I saw the list of fixes in 1.5.0.39, the first item on the list (though I didn't understand what on earth the words meant!) gave me some hope that this had been fixed, but, no joy.

:(

I'm sure it will arrive soon??

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this again since the first RC still has this problem!!

Sorry devs!   :(

BUMP.

It's still there in the first Customer Beta! :(

• 2 months later...

I just got the Nik Plugins loaded and first image I tried was a portrait. It opened in affinity as expected, but the Nik plugins then launch with the image rotated.  Please share fix for this! 

Thanks

Sorry, there is, as yet, no fix!  Some months ago Mark Ingram acknowledged (post #6 above) this was "caused" by some lack of information being passed to the affected plugs by AP.  So the fix has to be created by the developers!

Jeff

Here is a temporary workaround that should work for most photos:

- Under Layers panel, right click on the image layer that is to be edited with plugin

- Select Rasterise...

- Launch plugin

The image should be in correct orientation now

Lai, thank you for this, which does, indeed, resolve this problem.

However, hopefully the devs will eventually ensure that such an additional step becomes unnecessary!

Jeff

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.