You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DAUB LiquidInk Tools and Macros

paolo.limoncelli

Hi Folks!

Here I am with a freebie.

This little project starts from the need to have a tool that mimics ink tension and viscosity.

In order to do this, and make it easy to use in AffinityPhoto I needed macros, and finally these are there!

You need AP 1.5.x in order to make it work!

Download the package here

DAUB_LiquidInk_tools.png

How this combo works

The technique relies on Adjustment Curves and some special tools designed to keep anything non destructive.

Tools are simple stupid brushes that together with custom ramps deliver a viscosity effect on crossing lines, resulting in a credible feathering effect.

This happens only if used together with the layer stack generated by included macros.

To use them import both Macros (from Library Studio) and Tools available in the package, create a new document and click one of the effects (Ink and Wet Ink) form the Library Studio.

AP will create a layer stack composed of the adjustment, a fill layer (needed to make this adjustment work) and a pixel layer which is where you want to paint.

These tools are designed to work best for black inking.

If you want you can play with other colours too, just be aware of the clipped results you will obtain.

You can always re-colour your layer with further adjustments.

Hope you'll enjoy!

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• 4 weeks later...

the wet paint effect is truly amazing especially during live preview, kind of magic  :D

but the main question is, how did you create the group using macros ????  :o  :o  :o  :o 

ah I see, CMD G and then you can add new stuff but no existing stuff in there, thanks :) will do my D&B macro right away!

Merry X Mas!

Edited by MBd

Paolo,

What are the restrictions on the usage of these brushes? Can they be used on commercial projects destined for both screen and print?

Thanks.

High-End Photographic Prints

Paolo,

What are the restrictions on the usage of these brushes? Can they be used on commercial projects destined for both screen and print?

Thanks.

You can use them for any sort of creative project, both personal and commercial.

What you shouldn't do is to pack anything, rename and sell it...  :)

I'm sure nobody will do it in this community but in the past it happened, so just saying...  ;)

the wet paint effect is truly amazing especially during live preview, kind of magic  :D

but the main question is, how did you create the group using macros ????  :o  :o  :o  :o 

ah I see, CMD G and then you can add new stuff but no existing stuff in there, thanks :) will do my D&B macro right away!

Merry X Mas!

Yep... :)

How do you set description or set current selection while recording macros? I can't record it...

You can, it is not very friendly, but it can be done.

Affinity Photo will ask you what to select.

Thanks Paolo,

I just wanted to check before I went ahead and used them, as I'm also a developer, and therefore respect usage restrictions :)

High-End Photographic Prints

• 3 weeks later...

Paolo,

These are excellent.

Great entré into learning about Adjustment Layers for me.

I wish I could get the same effects in AD. Got to look into it.

Thanks!

Hey Craig!

Thanks!

This effect is perfectly suitable for AD too, but you need to replicate manually the steps I packed into macros.

Paolo,

I tried some rebuilding of the effects in AD.
I wanted to see if this effect - the wet edge blending - would work with vector brushes.
I am sure my first effort can be improved - but the bleed effect does happen.

The way the blending interacts with strokes applied with a stylus/tablet - and particularly with light pressure is a little buggy, but the idea of vectors that can work with each other - blend a little - is exciting.

An AD file that utilizes your layer structure - can be pulled from here:

test_wetinkfile.afdesign.zip

There is some sample art in the file on the appropriate layers. A wet ink and or sumi ink/watercolor look... The art on these layers can be deleted (don't delete the layers) and new art applied.  Turning layers and elements on and off shows the way layers and layer effects are working.

Thanks again!

post-20507-0-51208800-1484285757_thumb.jpg

My Portfolio site:

http://www.i-toons.com

My art related blog:

http://greenlightcd.blogspot.com

Yep! Any kind of tool can be used, also vector tools if the layerstack is copied and pasted into AD.

The nibs of the brushes included in my set are designed to work together with that intensity ramp.

I'm looking forward to finding mapped strokes in AP acting as pure raster!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Paolo,

Your brushes are really excelent. I bought it few months ago and now I wanted to upgrade to them, but by mistake I bought them again. There was no link for upgrade at all !!

Is there any chances to send me a download link and refund the money? Or, if there is something else that is not in this collection, I would like to buy it and use the money I've already sent.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Hi Paolo,

Your brushes are really excelent. I bought it few months ago and now I wanted to upgrade to them, but by mistake I bought them again. There was no link for upgrade at all !!

Is there any chances to send me a download link and refund the money? Or, if there is something else that is not in this collection, I would like to buy it and use the money I've already sent.

Hi!

Send me via PM the email you used to purchase them, I'll check what can I do.

Updating is easy, but you have to enter a valid gumroad email and also check the possibility to receive emails.

The only set I've updated is the Essentials' one, you should have received an email (if you did the steps above as described).

• 11 months later...
On 26/11/2016 at 1:57 PM, paolo.limoncelli said:

Hi Folks!

Here I am with a freebie.

This little project starts from the need to have a tool that mimics ink tension and viscosity.

In order to do this, and make it easy to use in AffinityPhoto I needed macros, and finally these are there!

You need AP 1.5.x in order to make it work!

Download the package here

DAUB_LiquidInk_tools.png

How this combo works

The technique relies on Adjustment Curves and some special tools designed to keep anything non destructive.

Tools are simple stupid brushes that together with custom ramps deliver a viscosity effect on crossing lines, resulting in a credible feathering effect.

This happens only if used together with the layer stack generated by included macros.

To use them import both Macros (from Library Studio) and Tools available in the package, create a new document and click one of the effects (Ink and Wet Ink) form the Library Studio.

AP will create a layer stack composed of the adjustment, a fill layer (needed to make this adjustment work) and a pixel layer which is where you want to paint.

These tools are designed to work best for black inking.

If you want you can play with other colours too, just be aware of the clipped results you will obtain.

You can always re-colour your layer with further adjustments.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Hi Paolo... 

I can't import the Macro file in APhoto? :( I can import other Macro files, but for some reason, not this one.. hmm

Edited by RemN
I figured it out! :)

• 7 months later...