You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Beta (1.5.0 - RC4)

Panasonic Lumix GX80/85 RAW files are still unusable in Affinity 1.5 RC4 because of the strong magenta/pinkish tint. If you are not able to prepare a profile for 1.5 release, please offer the option to revert to the Apple RAW profile which works fine. 

Something to note for batch processing.

I have multiple HDDs in my mac and when I clicked on Authorize, I tried to select the location of where the original file was located (HDD3).  To Authorize, HDD1 needs to be selected.  The image will be stored in the correct location as it says on the label.

Missing a non-desctructive "Filter -> Blur -> Zoom Blur" in the Live Filters. No big deal, you can make this also by two layers and masking. But if you want to modify the "zoom factor" you always must remake the zoom layer.

post-15247-0-49389100-1480943641_thumb.jpg

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

Panasonic Lumix GX80/85 RAW files are still unusable in Affinity 1.5 RC4 because of the strong magenta/pinkish tint. If you are not able to prepare a profile for 1.5 release, please offer the option to revert to the Apple RAW profile which works fine. 

In Affinity Photo 1.4.x, you can select which RAW engine to use by clicking on the assistant and setting the Raw Engine to "Apple". Unfortunately, you have to reload the RAW file and you can't set this value without a RAW file in Develop, but it appears to persist between runs. This seems like the way to go for M43 files because M43 lenses lean pretty heavily on their embedded corrections, which aren't honored by the Affinity Photo engine.

Hi Chris_K, thanks for reply.

Yeah, no problem. It was just a "nice to have" suggestion :) . Working with an additional layer is also fine. And positioning the center of the zoom is in Affinity Photo about a million times easier than in Photoshop.

Greetings, Roland

Hi Pipobike

Not every filter translates easily into a live version so there will be some missing

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

i'm making a template And i want some pixel kind of fonts.  In PS we see font antialising methods... there are something like smooth, sharp etc like in following image.

04_32_characterpanel.jpg

I think this feature is missing... did anybody put it as feature request or not yet? 

Hi Johio,

As far as I know, that would result in zooming in.

Bauke

Hi Bauke,

for me pressing space, then cmd then left mouse button and moving the mouse to the left zooms out, moving the mouse to the right zooms in. So no need for the option-key.

But you are right, I never tried to "click to zoom in and out", which should also work and needs the option-key. This gives the annoying sound.

Edit: doesn't matter anymore, fixed with RC5

Johannes

1. Select the text layer, and in the layers panel click on the little cog/settings icon.

2. Click on the Coverage Map pop-up menu and raise the lower left node on the curve all the way up to look like the following image, whihc is displaying aliased type in the background:

post-1105-0-97038400-1480973072_thumb.png

i'm making a template And i want some pixel kind of fonts.  In PS we see font antialising methods... there are something like smooth, sharp etc like in following image.

I think this feature is missing... did anybody put it as feature request or not yet? 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Once i selected a font, and I want to change the font again.. the font list should begin from the last position... instead of again from the top.. It's hard to again go to that specific position if there are more than 500 fonts..

[updated: I just found we can type font name and can reach to the font position.. but that is a "developer technique"]

Secondly... please look at the scenario.

create a text layer.

add some text

open character panel (from studio if not already opened)

change font face by clicking on font drop down menu.

now keep an eye on font face on canvas and use keyboard "up arrow/ down arrow" to see all fonts ony by one

That works fine.. but..

now to change the font size..

select the font size box... and use up/down arrows.. font values does change but no effect on font size until we press "enter". Please make it live update as font face.

similarly..

on Positioning and Transform..

There are two small buttons on every option. (those works fine)

but if we use keyboard up or down arrows, nothting effects until enter pressed. (during designing we use to look at our object on canvas instead of setting panel.

1. Select the text layer, and in the layers panel click on the little cog/settings icon.

2. Click on the Coverage Map pop-up menu and raise the lower left node on the curve all the way up to look like the following image, whihc is displaying aliased type in the background:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-05 at 4.24.17 PM.png

Thanks for the solution..

but That is a trick i think.. it can work but on bigger fonts only. What I think pixel font is needed when the smallest acceptable and readable font size is required. may be 8px or 9px...  

In my case i'm using smaller font and when font layer is selected.. it's all covered by 6 small blue "transforming points" I can't see the change effect.

I can zoom to see the closer look but keeping at 100% is actually a way for fine tuning view.

I will again need to play in another way.. by typing multiple lines of text to see the effect.. isn't it... ?

of you think this is the only way we have or a feature..

You can also try making a "square wave" shape in that Coverage Map dialogue, with the vertical part of the wave at the 50% point, to achieve a slight crisper result. As far as other ways to do it, this is the only way in Affinity, and ultimately this is what Adobe does, but they just give you a few presets in a pop-up, while with Affinity you can make custom curves for more precise control over the aliasing / anti-alasing. It takes some tweaking but you have better control. And you can save the curves in the panel for re-use.

but That is a trick i think.. it can work but on bigger fonts only. What I think pixel font is needed when the smallest acceptable and readable font size is required. may be 8px or 9px...  

In my case i'm using smaller font and when font layer is selected.. it's all covered by 6 small blue "transforming points" I can't see the change effect.

I can zoom to see the closer look but keeping at 100% is actually a way for fine tuning view.

I will again need to play in another way.. by typing multiple lines of text to see the effect.. isn't it... ?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

To temporarily hide the selection handles, press the space bar, but make sure you don't have any text selected inside your text object. Select the entire text object and hold space bar.

To temporarily hide the selection handles, press the space bar, but make sure you don't have any text selected inside your text object. Select the entire text object and hold space bar.

Wow.. this is amazing.. :) but spacebar must be pressed and kept hold before opening coverage map.. otherwise.. spacebar doesn't work or creates new presets.

You can also try making a "square wave" shape in that Coverage Map dialogue, with the vertical part of the wave at the 50% point, to achieve a slight crisper result. As far as other ways to do it, this is the only way in Affinity, and ultimately this is what Adobe does, but they just give you a few presets in a pop-up, while with Affinity you can make custom curves for more precise control over the aliasing / anti-alasing. It takes some tweaking but you have better control. And you can save the curves in the panel for re-use.

You are right.. they definitely be doing the same thing.

don't you think, presets done by "APPLICATION DEVELOPERS LEVEL OF EXPERTS" are always excellent than my kind of end users :P

And thanks for the help.

My philosophy has always been, Do it yourself and then YOU become the expert... ✨

I wish I could ... learn development, and I wish I could make my own AFFINITY PHOTO/DESIGNER kind of application myself.. and would be a 3rd competitor of adobe after affinity ...  :ph34r:  :D

But i'm not :(

BTW.. I do appreciatete your support. Thanks

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.