You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5.0 - GM Seed)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes / Improvements

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Submitted

Download: 1.5 GM Seed

That's all folks - 1.5 is in the can :) I've listed the final fixes which made it in below. Stay tuned for news on what we are hoping to achieve in 1.6 in the coming weeks.. Thanks one last time for all your help  :D

Fixes / Improvements:

- Final localisations.
- Final help, help localisations.
- Final Touch Bar tweaks.
- Final Tone Mapping presets.
- Improved HDR merge noise reduction.

- Fixed RAW issues with Panasonic DMC-GX80/85 and Sony DSLR-A450/500/550/580.
- Fixed further OnOne TIFF issues.
- Fixed a Tone Map UI crash.
- Fixed a PDF overprint issue.
- Fixed some PSD import issues.

- Updated licenses.rtf.

Affinity Photo Team   :ph34r:

Here's a recap of the new features in Photo 1.5, along with beta versions of the (excellent, in my opinion) tutorial videos which will accompany the features...

Focus Merge Support

Focus merging allows you to generate a detailed composite image from a number of images focused at differing lengths. Use File -> New Focus Merge to get started.

Video tutorials:

HDR Merge Support

HDR merging lets you create a deep, unbounded 32-bit image from a number of exposure bracketed source images. Use File -> New HDR Merge to get started.

Video tutorials:

New 32bit RGB Editing Mode

Photo now offers a full compositing / editing environment for 32bit unbounded images.

Video tutorials:

32bit Develop

Photo can now Develop RAW files directly into a 32bit document - so all highlights / shadows are preserved and recoverable at any time.

Video tutorials:

OCIO (OpenColorIO) Support

Photo now support end-to-end OCIO colour workflows.

Video tutorials:

Tone Mapping Persona

Full tone mapping Persona for both HDR and LDR images. This is obviously best used with an image merged by HDR merge - although you can use it on any image.

Video tutorials:

OpenEXR / HDR (Radiance) / 32bit TIFF Import / Export

Photo can now import and export .hdr (Radiance, RGBE) and .exr (OpenEXR) images. It correctly deals with 0-alpha cases (as per the OpenEXR spec) and generally operates in linear space. It support multi-layer EXR files and offers control (through Preferences) over alpha association and premultiplication.

Video tutorials:

Macros

Using the View -> Studio -> Macro and View -> Studio -> Library menu items, you can access new panels which will allow you to record actions, save them, then play them back later. You can also store them in a handy gallery.

Video tutorials:

Batch Processing

Using File -> New Batch job, you can queue up processing on a large number of files. You can resize, convert format and apply any number of macros to each file. The batch processing happens in the background - so you can continue working whilst the jobs are processed.

Video tutorials:

Live Projections

Photo 1.5 contains a new mechanism which allows you to edit an image in different spatial domains - we currently support the “Equirectangular” domain (360 pano - Ricoh Theta, etc.). You can use all tools when editing - and you can convert back once you have edited. This is especially useful for cleaning up stitching artefacts, or artefacts at the zenith / nadir of the image. Use the options in Layer -> Live Projection to get started.

Video tutorials:

Improved Pixel Tool

The pixel tool is improved in 1.5 - you can hold shift when dragging to constrain the direction of painting (sorry we did not get this working sooner!). You can also select what happens when you hold Alt and drag - erase to transparent, erase to background colour, or erase to whatever the nominated snapshot / history location is (like in the Clone tool).

New “Pixel Art” Document Resizing

Photo now contains an alternative way to resize a document - using well known pixel-art resampling algorithms. If you work with pixel art and want to use this feature, it’s located under the Document menu.

Video tutorials:

New “Accumulation” Brush Dynamics

Many users have asked for “Opacity Jitter”. For us, opacity is a constant thing and will remain constant. However, we have added a new property to brushes - “Accumulation” - which should allow you to get what you need      :)

Text Styles

Affinity Photo now has the same Text Styles support as Designer - it’s all shared code so it should work right out of the box      :)

New Marquee Modes (Polygonal, Magnetic)

Photo now has 3 modes for the freehand selection tool - Freehand, Polygonal and Magnetic.

Video tutorials:

Even more RAW cameras supported

Over 70 new RAW cameras are supported.

Improved Metadata Mining

Our detection of RAW / JPEG / etc. metadata has been upgraded and some serious bugs have been fixed.

Massive Improvements to Export Persona

Our Export Persona has seen huge upgrades in this cycle - you now have total control of exactly what resolution sets get exported. You can also use our handy batch export builders to quickly generate content for external consumption - ie. Xcode .assets - even Spline compatible metadata can be generated!

Layered TIFF Interop

Users have constantly asked us to support “Layered TIFF”. Layered TIFF is not a thing. TIFF with embedded data is a thing - and I’m happy to report that we now import embedded PSD / Affinity data and can write TIFF with embedded Affinity data.

Halftone Filter

We have a marvellous new halftone pattern filter in 1.5 - it can approximate monochrome, colour, circular and line halftones.

Video tutorials:

Improved Apply Image Filter

Users can how use the current layer as the source for Apply Image - or drag any layer from the layers tab into the dialog to use that as thr source. We also offer handy equations in the filter to control how channels are transferred - in an arbitrary colour source.

Video tutorials:

Improved Select Sampled Colour Filter

You can now select by intensity in the select sampled colour tool.

Equations Filter

A new Equations Distortion filter allows users to create custom spatial filters.

Video tutorials:

Dust & Scratches Filter

Many user have asked us for a “Dust & Scratches” filter - so we have made one. It’s extremely useful for removing sporadic small defects in images. Please let us know if it works for you.

Video tutorials:

“Edit in Affinity Photo” Photos extension

This is something which we didn’t think we could do - a Photos extension for Mac OS 10.9 and above which simply allows you to use the full Photo app to edit your images - and stores the changes you have made as a layered document.

New Colour Picker Tool

After literally thousands of requests, we have implemented a dedicated picker tool for colours.

New Clone Sources Panel

We now have a new studio panel which allows you to store up an unlimited number of global sources for the Clone / Healing brush - it even works across multiple documents.

Video tutorials:

Direct PSD Write-Back

One of the most requested features - direct write-back to PSD. A number of 3rd party DAM applications will happily deal in PSD - but until now, Photo required you to File -> Export for PSD. No longer! You can now just hit File -> Save! You will need to turn this on - in File -> Preferences - please read the warning there carefully!

Video tutorials:

No Thumbnails Option

This is more a Designer feature, but I promised it some time ago so here it is - you can choose (in Preferences) not to write out a thumbnail with your documents. This has the advantage of making your documents use less space - but obviously you won’t get Finder thumbnails, etc.

Improved Vectorscope

Our old HSL vectorscope is no more - replaced by a vastly more appropriate Rec.709 YUV scope with an improved graticule      :)

Improved Photoshop Plugin Support

We have found a significant bug with our plugin code - it has been fixed      :) We are now finding the majority of plugins work properly.

Multi-monitor Colour Profile Support

Sorry it took so long to get this fixed - we now can profile different on different monitors.

Adjustment Performance Improvements

Found and fixed a simple issue which made changing adjustment parameters appear to be slow. Fixed.

Automatic Lens Corrections

Automatic lens corrections (distortion and vignetting) are now supported for a wide array of lens profiles. This option is available in the Develop Assistant (enabled by default).

Video tutorials:

Improved RAW Colour Handling

The way colour operations are handled in the Develop persona has been improved - the difference is most noticeable in images with intense, saturated colours (think low light photography with lots of artificial lighting).

Video tutorials:

This update also includes literally hundreds of fixes and small improvements, some of which are listed below:

- User control over two pass rendering on Retina devices.
- PSD import / export improvements.
- PDF import / export improvements.
- Snapping improvements - candidate-free snapping, gaps-and-spans (Alt key in Move Tool), so much more!
- Performance and stability improvements for macOS Sierra.

Download: 1.5 GM Seed

Thank you so much for your incredible efforts. What a great program and update!

I can confirm Panasonic LUMIX GX80/85 now opens RAW files correctly, even when the Serif Labs Engine is selected by default in the Photo Persona Develop Assistant :)

I found one more issue, or at least I think it should not be like this...

When creating a gradient, normally I create a new pixel layer above my photo, and then I create the gradient (on the new pixel layer) using the gradient tool.

This all works fine, but once I leave the new pixel layer (by clicking on an other layer for example), I cannot use the gradient tool anymore (when I click on the new pixel layer with the created gradient again) to make any adjustments, because the gradient tool will not show up anymore. I have to delete the pixel layer and create it (with the gradient) again...

Maybe that's a feature, but I guess it's a bug.

When I go another way, and use a rectangle instead of a new pixel layer (on what I create the gradient), the gradient tool shows up (after leaving the layer/rectangle) again, and changes ARE possible.

This method is shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Ztfe5wmHQ&feature=youtu.be

But, when using the rectangle instead of a new pixel layer, it's unfortunately not possible using the undo brush (or eraser or white/black brush) to make any adjustments ...

I want to point out the Fill Layer behaviour as still unconsistent:

If you have the Move tool or Fill tool active you can always change its colour using the Colour Studio.

If you switch tool (eg Paintbrush) and then select Fill Layer from Layers Studio you cannot change its colour anymore, even if the Colour Studio switches correctly its contextual colour selection mode (single Swatch).

To change its colour you have to select Fill Tool or Move Tool again, I think this is a bit difficult to understand.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

It's a big file will I upload n send download link via PM Chris

I'm not getting it either. Can you attach the rotated document you are using so we can try and reproduce it?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

HAIL! Well done team Affinity Photo. Hope it brings you lots of success!

I started using AP because a hardware fault on my macbook  kept freeing certain apps that used the discrete GPU.

I upgraded my Macbook a few days ago bI'mi'm still sticking with AP.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.