18 replies to this topic

#1 Yanik

Yanik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

Dear awesome Affinity developers,

I just purchased Affinity Photo for Windows and unfortunately can't change the paint brush size by holding the alt+click-drag or ctrl-alt+click-drag shortcut as specified in the shortcut cheat sheet pdf document. 

I guess you might have forgotten to implement it.

I don't like using the [ and ] keys and hope you will implement it soon.

#2 MEB

MEB

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14,832 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

Hi Yanik,

On Windows the shortcuts are a little different. Press and hold ALT + LMB (left mouse button) + RMB (right mouse button) and drag horizontally to change the brush size and vertically to change the brush hardness. 

The  [ and ] shortcuts remain the same on both platforms.

#3 Yanik

Yanik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:11 PM

Hi Yanik,

On Windows the shortcuts are a little different. Press and hold ALT + LMB (left mouse button) + RMB (right mouse button) and drag horizontally to change the brush size and vertically to change the brush hardness. 

Thank you for your fast reply! Now I just have to rewire my brain so I will forget PS shortcuts :) .

#4 Mark Ingram

Mark Ingram

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

I'm going to look at fixing this shortcut so it's the same, a few people have been caught out by this.
  • Yanik likes this

#5 MEB

MEB

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14,832 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:52 PM

Yes, it's also not practical...

#6 TheEdge

TheEdge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:05 AM

Hello,

I am new to Affinity Photo (just purchased it) and would like to know if there is a way to resize the brush when working with a wacom tablet. The wheel doesn't work, and the current shortcut ALT + LMB (left mouse button) + RMB (right mouse button) is unusable because it's impossible to click both buttons simultanously with a wacom pen.

Thank you.

#7 carl123

carl123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

Hello,

I am new to Affinity Photo (just purchased it) and would like to know if there is a way to resize the brush when working with a wacom tablet. The wheel doesn't work, and the current shortcut ALT + LMB (left mouse button) + RMB (right mouse button) is unusable because it's impossible to click both buttons simultanously with a wacom pen.

Thank you.

On my Wacom tablet I assigned the pen tip as "Left" Click and one button as Right Click

Then you can use ALT, pen tip and Right click buttons simultaneously and it all works as described

But hopefully they (Serif) will change it to something easier

Due to the impending Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

#8 TheEdge

TheEdge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:33 PM

Ah yes of course. The tip is already assigned to left click. It's just that I got used to lifting the stylus when changing the size that it became second nature. If I keep it pressed down it does work fine indeed.

Thank you.

#9 Monkeybrother

Monkeybrother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

I would like to second this. This is the main reason I'm not buying right now. In photoshop it's just a lot easier; you hold alt and wave the wacom pen above the surface to set size and hardness at the same time. Since I do this hundreds of times a day when I'm working, holding an extra button and pressing the tip down while dragging on the surface makes a big difference, workflow(and ergonomic)-wise. Please consider changing this.

#10 Deemstering

Deemstering

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

Strange, working with an intuos 4 here: dragging horizontal while holding Alt + Rightclick(button on stylus) does the job.
Dragging vertical changes the hardness. The difference with PS is that you have to put the stylus tip on the tablet and add pressure while dragging. But it would be easier without adding pressure.

Hope it helps.

#11 uli123

uli123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

Hi,

bought it yesterday and the very first thing was this problem.

The help text says:

Decrease/increase brush width with on-screen readout -drag (left/right)Right mouse button press++drag (left/right) Decrease/increase brush hardness with on-screen readout -drag (up/down)Right mouse button press++drag (up/down)

Press and hold ALT + LMB (left mouse button) + RMB (right mouse button) and drag horizontally to change the brush size and vertically to change the brush hardness. 

Why are they/you doing this so extreamely unhandy? Is there any reason in Windows inside?

Or: When you decide it to do it in that way why isn't it possible to change it in the settings into my own shortcut?

#12 RamaBot

RamaBot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:26 AM

It is quite awkward. It really should be the same as Photoshop. Or at least just hold down a single key plus a mouse button  :)

And can you also fix the double click on canvas problem. I should be able to build up paint under the cursor when clicking quickly.

And can you PLEASE fix the dodge and burn tools so they work properly. At the moment we can't burn to black or dodge to white properly. Just copy Photoshop.

I have been a software developer of games and applications for over 35 years and the one thing I know is that user input is key.

In fact just give me access to the source and I will do the fixes myself  :)

Affinity Photo is an absolutely a superb program. With the little things fixed it could become the world wide default.

Cheers guys. 

#13 uli123

uli123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

BTW: Both function (width and hardness) in ONE movement (horizontal and vertikal) is not very clever.

If I need a special value for one of them it is difficult to make changes via one mouse movement without changes the other value.

AND: With pressing both mouse buttons it is in my opinion nearly impossible.

#14 TheEdge

TheEdge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:13 AM

Unless this kind of thing can be and is patented by Adobe I don't see why it should be harder to implement it this way or another. But hey, I don't know nothing about programming so maybe there is some difficulty to do it.

#15 uli123

uli123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:44 AM

Unless this kind of thing can be and is patented by Adobe

Shift and RMB set the width in Corel PhotoPaint.

BTW: ALT plus anything is not very good, cause ALT marks the menu bar. This issue comes from Apple based programmers. Maybe ALT works better under macOS, don't know ...

#16 Monkeybrother

Monkeybrother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:48 PM

Shift and RMB set the width in Corel PhotoPaint.

BTW: ALT plus anything is not very good, cause ALT marks the menu bar. This issue comes from Apple based programmers. Maybe ALT works better under macOS, don't know ...

That's your opinion. Alt+wacom pen waving has been working perfectly in PS for many years and the ability to change both size and hardness in one move is what makes it so easy to use. If I want a specific size for a brush (which I very seldom do), I'll just enter it manually. But I really don't care what exact keys you need to press, I just hope that it becomes more intuitive in Affinity Photo.

#17 MEB

MEB

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14,832 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:55 PM

Hi,

bought it yesterday and the very first thing was this problem.

The help text says:

Decrease/increase brush width with on-screen readout -drag (left/right)Right mouse button press++drag (left/right) Decrease/increase brush hardness with on-screen readout -drag (up/down)Right mouse button press++drag (up/down)

Why are they/you doing this so extreamely unhandy? Is there any reason in Windows inside?

Or: When you decide it to do it in that way why isn't it possible to change it in the settings into my own shortcut?

Hi uli123,

We are aware that this shortcut is not very intuitive nor practical and are looking into changing it in a future update.

#18 Monkeybrother

Monkeybrother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

Hi uli123,

We are aware that this shortcut is not very intuitive nor practical and are looking into changing it in a future update.

Will this be fixed in the 1.x cycle? So if I buy now, I'll get that update eventually?

#19 b3ar

b3ar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:43 AM

bought the software too, but without single key shortcut for hardness control is slowing down working progress because "Alt + left click + right click" can't be assign to mouse function button. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users