You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trying to record a macro

Thanks MikeFromMesa, I am mobile right now so haven't looked at your macro yet.

I wondered about exporting just one macro where more then one exists.

In the library, top right Create a New Category, then just drag and drop the one to export into it.

After export just drag it back to where it was. I am sure there is a short cut.

Have a great weekend.

Mike...

Or, right click your macro and choose Edit. In the Macros panel, click the Export button. You get an "afmacro" file (singular) which can be imported into the Macro panel elsewhere, and saved into the Library.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Hi MikeFromMesa, tried to download your macro with your link here   but got this address [http://mikes.afmacros] that failed to open as there is no server named mikes.afmacros or so Safari says.  

When I tried to upload the macros I found that I could not attach them so I zipped them and then I could.  Still would like to see it.  I am sure that your macros are already in your Library.

Hi MikeFromMesa, tried to download your macro with your link here   but got this address [http://mikes.afmacros] that failed to open as there is no server named mikes.afmacros or so Safari says.  

When I tried to upload the macros I found that I could not attach them so I zipped them and then I could.  Still would like to see it.  I am sure that your macros are already in your Library.

p_mac:

That link is nothing more than a dropbox location so I do not know what went wrong. I got the same error.

This time I followed your instructions and "edit"ed the macro (by the way, you need an image loaded for that to work), and then exported the single macro, which is here. This time I tested it to make sure the link works properly.

I got your Macro this time and yes I see that you must keep the background layer selected.  

Adding a mask to a layer de-selects that layer and I believe that is the base problem here. When the mask is added the the layer is de-selected the user has to go back and reselect the layer or the system has no idea where you are. Hence the dialog box and all of my problems (until you cleared that up for me). I believe that to be a bug and I will report it as such.

Perhaps they will agree and fix it. Perhaps not.

Actually MikeFromMesa I do not believe that this is a bug. A macro is a little program that gives instructions to how the user wants it to run. The user's instructions give the macro the unique intuitiveness. For example, it must be the user's choice as to where they wish their next step to start which may not be what another user might want. There is a difference between the intuitiveness of the programming of AP and AD and a user directed macro subroutine. I have noted now, because your post made me interested in learning more about macros, that you can embed an already written macro within a macro.

As well when you for example use the Select - Tonal - Highlights it creates an action in Channels. When you run the macro on each image a mask unique to that image is created. You can also give instructions so a user of your macro has the ability to make adjustments in a Filter, or not.

AP and AD are pretty awesome.

Thank you again @serif

Actually MikeFromMesa I do not believe that this is a bug. A macro is a little program that gives instructions to how the user wants it to run. The user's instructions give the macro the unique intuitiveness. For example, it must be the user's choice as to where they wish their next step to start which may not be what another user might want. There is a difference between the intuitiveness of the programming of AP and AD and a user directed macro subroutine. I have noted now, because your post made me interested in learning more about macros, that you can embed an already written macro within a macro.

As well when you for example use the Select - Tonal - Highlights it creates an action in Channels. When you run the macro on each image a mask unique to that image is created. You can also give instructions so a user of your macro has the ability to make adjustments in a Filter, or not.

AP and AD are pretty awesome.

Thank you again @serif

When I said that I believed the issue to be a bug I was not referring to recording the macro. I was saying that adding a mask to a layer automatically de-selects the layer and I believe that to be a bug. What is the purpose of having the software automatically de-select the current layer? It seems to me to be so pointless that I do not see how that could be anything but a bug.

Perhaps there is a reason and perhaps I am wrong and that is why I listed the post with the subject that I believed it to be a bug rather than saying it was a bug. But this has nothing to do with the fact that I was recording a macro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

When I said that I believed the issue to be a bug I was not referring to recording the macro. I was saying that adding a mask to a layer automatically de-selects the layer and I believe that to be a bug. What is the purpose of having the software automatically de-select the current layer? It seems to me to be so pointless that I do not see how that could be anything but a bug.

Perhaps there is a reason and perhaps I am wrong and that is why I listed the post with the subject that I believed it to be a bug rather than saying it was a bug. But this has nothing to do with the fact that I was recording a macro.

Hi Mike,

Apologies your issue has been overlooked. I've reproduced the lack of selection when adding a mask (which doesn't appear to happen on Windows) so I shall get it reported to development.

Hi Mike,

Apologies your issue has been overlooked. I've reproduced the lack of selection when adding a mask (which doesn't appear to happen on Windows) so I shall get it reported to development.

Thank you.

I have wondered if there was some reason that my last several issues were overlooked. Along with this one I also posted about APB's inability to properly process a vertical panorama and produce something useful. It appears that when stitching a vertical pano APB automatically uses spherical projection while using cylindrical for a horizontal projection. This item has been viewed over 100 times by participants but I have never gotten so much as a notice from any Moderator. I could not help but wonder why.

• Staff

Thank you.

I have wondered if there was some reason that my last several issues were overlooked. Along with this one I also posted about APB's inability to properly process a vertical panorama and produce something useful. It appears that when stitching a vertical pano APB automatically uses spherical projection while using cylindrical for a horizontal projection. This item has been viewed over 100 times by participants but I have never gotten so much as a notice from any Moderator. I could not help but wonder why.

No worries!

Sorry about that Mike - I can assure you this is not done intentionally. Unfortunately the sheer busyness of the forum, along with all our other in house tasks compared to the amount of us there are will mean that sometimes posts can get overlooked. I've got someone taking a look into the other thread now! :)

Hi Sean, I am wondering if this happens when you use a wide angle lens.  I have just completed a pano where I used a large number of images not shot with a wide angle lens.  As you can see there is little distortion here.  

post-12616-0-76307700-1487182681_thumb.png

post-12616-0-32541700-1487182786_thumb.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.