You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This may be an odd question coming from someone who has been active in digital photography since 1997, but can someone please explain what the difference is, and why it is necessary/desirable, to first manipulate a RAW image in the Develop persona, when it can be placed directly into the Photo persona and manipulated there in what appear to be many of the exact same ways? Thanks! 

• Staff

Hi cyclicopath,

Welcome to the forums.

Like most photo editing apps, Affinity Photo has a dedicated section for processing RAW files. The Develop persona allows you to make basic adjustments to your image before switching to the Photo persona for more advanced adjustments. You also have access to tools, such as the Develop assistant which can automatically apply certain adjustments, like lens corrections or they can be done manually from the Lens panel.

Hi cyclicopath,

Welcome to the forums.

Like most photo editing apps, Affinity Photo has a dedicated section for processing RAW files. The Develop persona allows you to make basic adjustments to your image before switching to the Photo persona for more advanced adjustments. You also have access to tools, such as the Develop assistant which can automatically apply certain adjustments, like lens corrections or they can be done manually from the Lens panel.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the response. Before I continue, I'll mention that after playing with the trial version of Affinity 1.5 for the past week or so on my PC, I'm going to purchase it in the next few hours.

So, sorry to seem dense about this, but is there anything in the Develop persona (other than the basic RAW conversion) that can't be achieved later in the Photo persona? I'm not entirely clear about the function or rationale of the divide between them. Is the Develop persona sort of intended as a quick way to get an image out, for those who don't want or need to go deeper in the Photo persona? Is there any reason, if one knows that a RAW image is going to be manipulated substantially in the Photo persona, to not simply "develop" it immediately and go right on into Photo? That's really the crux of my question - what if anything is the drawback of doing that? Or am i still missing something altogether different? Thanks so much for your help.    

Which OS are you using?

I ask, because on my Win 8.1 machine I don't seem to be able to open a Raw file in anything other than the Develop Persona - Photo recognises the Raw format and automatically opens in Develop, and I can only get to the Photo Persona by exporting the Raw to a "pixel" format. 

Keith Reeder

My thoughts about this.

When you develop raw images, you have a wider range of possibilities to adjust your photos. They are uncompressed.

You can gain back nuances in the shadows and get more contrasts in the highlights. 
You can change the white balance more accurate.
And you have more control over the sharpening as well.

When you are in the photo persona, the picture is already converted to jpg. and you are limited to that compression and fixed white balance.

The tools in the develop persona have sliders and are more user friendly in my opinion; quicker to access. Gives you a good workflow.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

@Madame:

Not to be overly pedantic about it, but to avoid possible confusion a RAW file is not an uncompressed image, it is a minimally processed matrix of data coming from the camera's image sensor, which must be "developed" to produce an image. After development in Affinity Photo's Develop Persona, the result in the Photo Persona is not a JPEG, it is an image in Affinity's internal pixel format, which can be saved as a native Affinity format file or exported to JPEG, TIFF, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Which OS are you using?

I ask, because on my Win 8.1 machine I don't seem to be able to open a Raw file in anything other than the Develop Persona - Photo recognises the Raw format and automatically opens in Develop, and I can only get to the Photo Persona by exporting the Raw to a "pixel" format. 

Win 7 Pro 64, and I'm not the one to make suggestions, but that is I think how it's supposed to work. Develop first, then on to Photo.

@Madame:

Not to be overly pedantic about it, but to avoid possible confusion a RAW file is not an uncompressed image, it is a minimally processed matrix of data coming from the camera's image sensor, which must be "developed" to produce an image. After development in Affinity Photo's Develop Persona, the result in the Photo Persona is not a JPEG, it is an image in Affinity's internal pixel format, which can be saved as a native Affinity format file or exported to JPEG, TIFF, etc.

@Madame:

Right, and I assume that the native Affinity-format file is loss-less, so it can be manipulated, opened and closed, etc. as much as needed without degrading, right? I can see in this thread that I'm not the only one who isn't clear on these underlying basics. I still don't see the what/why of editing the undeveloped RAW ...

• 2 weeks later...

Right, and I assume that the native Affinity-format file is loss-less, so it can be manipulated, opened and closed, etc. as much as needed without degrading, right? I can see in this thread that I'm not the only one who isn't clear on these underlying basics. I still don't see the what/why of editing the undeveloped RAW ...

there are two reasons, now really one is left

whitebalance

in the RAW file, the R,G,B "pixels" are separated so you can control the dominance between those, this is not possible afterwards because these pixels are merged during demosaicing (the white balance in the photo persona is not the same, it just tries to trick the effect but is not accurate, therefore it only has a % and not an K measurement)

before we had 32bit in the photo persona, there was a second reason.

RAW is up to 16bit linear data and does not fit even into 16bit developed data in the photo persona. Therefore shadows that were lost in the RAW persona could not be recovered afterwards. see here https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15873-coming-2016-32bit-hdr-editing-sneak-preview/?p=72119

If you develop into 16bit this is still the case.

see here https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19612-raw-or-jpeg/?p=92583

and further similar topics:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/18030-workflow-confusion-redundancies/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19612-raw-or-jpeg/

cheers 

//for more tips, KLICK <<