You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fujifilm GFX 50S images support?

Any idea if the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format digital camera will be supported soon? 

There is a bug that occurs both in the official release of Affinity Photo 1.5.1, as well as in the latest beta (1.5.2 beta 5):

When opening Fuji GFX 50S raw files (.RAF), the file does in fact open. However, the image data appears as if it's pushed to the left by approx 468 pixels. This gives the appearance of a solid black vertical bar running down the entire right-hand side of the image. (see attached screenshot)

You can download raw files for this camera from the Imaging Resource:

Lab test samples

Gallery samples

The new camera utilizes an ordinary Bayer color filter array rather than the unique X-Trans pattern. So hopefully this will simplify processing of the raw data.

Thanks very much! 

i-QHcSr4J.gif

Thank you very much! This is encouraging to hear. Sorry about bringing the topic up again. I really did try the search engine several times before posting. But with zero results appearing, I thought maybe the camera and the problem are simply too new. :)

• 3 weeks later...

For those Fujifilm GFX 50S shooters and prospective buyers of that camera, a bit more detail was provided in this thread:

"I can't provide any specific dates but this may get resolved when we next update our RAW engine, may be in our 1.6 update. If you're using a Mac, Apple may update their Apple Core engine to support these type of RAW files before us, if so Affinity Photo can be switched to that engine within the Develop Assistant."

With the recent official release of version 1.5.2, and no improvement just yet in how Fujifilm GFX 50S raw files are handled, here's hoping support comes by version 1.6 if not sooner! This camera is here... NOW... and shooters are looking for an effective raw processor to handle those images.  :)

• 8 months later...

Hi everybody!

I upgraded to 1.6 and still encounter the GFX 50 S -problem above. I prefere the Affinity-rendering to ACR, but I'm loosing 20% of my frame, which is shifted left in landscape, and down in portrait!

is there any turnaround I missed?

Besides, one of my most needed features, that holds me back from fully adopting the software instead of photoshop would be an additive like bridge, that allows culling and batch-renaming files

as far as I learned you need to upgrade to high sierra to avoid this glitch, so Affinity Photo can use the apple Raw implications. My Mac-pro is turning smoothely on Yosemite, and I'm not shure whether this system-upgrade would not induce an avalanche of changes costing my professional time and money to upgrade all the rest...

still working with photoshop...

Agreed. That’s really too bad for those who want to shoot with the GFX 50S. I’ve been considering that camera, as well as switching over to Affinity Photo full time. But I have zero desire to switch an entire operating system when my current one is working smoothly with Sierra 10.12.6.

The pity is: the GFX becomes my main camera, because handling and files are perfect. The ACR rendering is too saturated in the reds, and none of the profiles in ACR suit me. I profiled the camera via colorchecker with my strobes, daylight and most fluorescent lightsources I encounter in my work, and it is still not good in ACR. Affinity Photo always gives a perfect result with better detail and colour, but 20% of the frame is missing...

floruklein, this is slightly off our primary topic, but you mention that AP is giving you perfect color rendering for your Fuji files. Could you visit links below to download the full-size JPEG as well as the .RAF file, and let me know how close you come with the raw file to reproducing the color of the camera's JPEG. Thanks!

Full-resolution JPEG (23.6 MB)

.RAF file (116.3 MB)

Turning up the saturation and vibrance for the balloon is easy, but maintaining the subtle color gradations in the blue sky is a bit tougher for me here. 

9A912FE5-B395-4E54-A6AE-FFD0B0D90349.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really surprised this one has been neither addressed nor commented upon by the ordinarily responsive Serif team for AP. 

At least in this thread, we last heard from them back in early March. Has there been any progress on this issue since then? o.O

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.