You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UNABLE TO OPEN AP 1.5.2 (Beta 5)

I purchased and installed 1.5.1 from the app store quite some time ago. I have installed and used all Beta updates since then. Suddenly (today) I can't open the latest Beta. I keep getting a message that the retail version must be installed, and I get bounced to the App Store. The app store shows AP as previously purchased. I can open it from the app store and from my apps folder, list, etc. It is installed.

How do I get back my usable version of AP 1.5.2 (Beta 5)?

This is serious guys! What happened?

p_mac:

Thanks for your suggestion. I've tried that without success. Hmm...what if I uninstalled the App Store version and tried to download it again? That should replace the missing cookie and make the Betas happy again. I'll try that as a last resort. In the meantime I'll see if i can get an answer from Serif.

Problem solved (at least for now). After all else failed, I tried the old standby - I copied the app from a Time Machine backup to my apps folder, and presto! I am able to again open the betas. My bet is that there was a corrupted file in the 1.5.1 application.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having this same problem. I try opening Beta 1.5.2 (Beta 5) and get a dialog that states that a purchased copy of AP is needed to open the beta. Well, I am an owner of AP. I also trashed and downloaded the beta again, but still get the same dialog. I don't have a TM backup of my apps. Any other suggestions?

Mac mini, 2018 • 64GB • 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 • Graphics AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT 4 GB • macOS Ventura 13.3 • Dell S2721QS - 27-inch

We've been led to expect version 1.6 "around Easter", which is only three weeks away now.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I ran into this too and came to the same conclusion as Alfred. In lieu of an explanation from Serif I'm assuming the the update to 1.5.2 that showed up on March 23 and was to address stability and bug fixes that 1.5.2 is now the MAS version of AP. So perhaps that's why ther's no beta available at the moment.

I ran into this too and came to the same conclusion as Alfred. In lieu of an explanation from Serif I'm assuming the the update to 1.5.2 that showed up on March 23 and was to address stability and bug fixes that 1.5.2 is now the MAS version of AP. So perhaps that's why ther's no beta available at the moment.

That is exactly the reason. It always happen when an upgrade is uploaded to the MAS, it replaces the beta version which no longer works.

If you don't delete the beta version, the app will continue to try to open in the beta not the MAS version.  The other way around is to right click and specify the MAS version.  

Just easier to delete beta version.

If you don't delete the beta version, the app will continue to try to open in the beta not the MAS version.  The other way around is to right click and specify the MAS version.  

Just easier to delete beta version.

I must be missing something here. What app are you referring to when you talk about it trying to open the beta and not the MAS version? Finder?

Click on the file and choose "Get Info..." In the Get Info dialog box, specify that the file should open in Affinity Photo, and NOT in Affinity Photo Beta (which the Finder sees as a wholly separate application). You can also specify that all "files like this" (meaning those with extension ".afphoto") should be treated in the same way. Double-clicking on an .afphoto file will now open it in the MAS version, not in the Beta.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

To be clear MikeFromMesa, if one tries to open a photo that was edited in the beta prior to the downloading of the MAS version, the application will continue to try to open it in that beta unless one tells it to something different.

Now there are several choices that one can do, right click the image and choose open in the MAS versions; command 'i' to open the files information in finder and in Open with: choose the MAS version then click Change All...;

or delete the AP beta app.  

As this is the Photo Beta on mac what app would I be referring to?  Any other questions?

if one tries to open a photo that was edited in the beta prior to the downloading of the MAS version, the application will continue to try to open it in that beta unless one tells it to something different.

Perhaps it has to do with the way you and I are opening photos as I do not see this issue. When I edit a photo using either AP or APB it is done in one of two ways - either the call the specified editor from a workflow tool (which, in my case is usually CaptureOne) and then I am presented with a list of editors to use and CO then opens the specified editor OR I open AP or APB and then open the image I want to edit. In neither case do I get the wrong editor. 

You must be using a different scenario to open your images.

One very common scenario is to double-click a file in Finder. Then the behaviour that p_mac describes can occur.

OK. That was the original assumption I made in my earlier post. I asked: What app are you referring to when you talk about it trying to open the beta and not the MAS version? Finder?

When I did not get a confirmation that it was Finder I assumed it must be something different and that was the reason for my subsequent post.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully, future betas will offer an updated message that makes it clearer why the current beta version is expired. Something for 1.6 betas?

"Thanks for raising this issue - we have closed it as "by design". 

:blink:  :ph34r:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37691-betas-wont-open-requires-retail-version-which-is-already-installed/

Same problem!      Used appcleaner and emptied the trash.  Made no difference.

What do I do??

Suggest, instead of "by design" you and all Serif say deliberately.   

Then, I understand.

Cheers

David

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.