You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brushes breadcrumb trail

I would like to see the brush identified somewhere. On the current Mac version, if I use a brush, then another tool like the lasso, and come back to the brush tool, the highlighting showing the current brush is gone. (It's not supposed to do that, it's broken)

Even if it were fixed, it's not enough. Highlighting is good, but a better method would be to show the category and brush name (plus the highlight). For instance, a box could show a breadcrumb trail similar to how it is done on some web sites and file systems. Then if I go to another category I would still know which category and brush is active. I could get back to it. Otherwise, I'm lost. (Especially, when the highlight disappears.)

Having to mouse over the brushes to get the name is also cumbersome. I have to mouse over all the them looking for one I might remember I liked. We should be able to see the brush names displayed in the panel without having to mouse over them. Apple is really doing us a disservice by hiding the user interface so much and making us have to go hunting to find invisible features. In the name of reducing clutter they encourage hiding useful interface options. Dumb.

+1

Having to mouse over the brushes to get the name is also cumbersome. I have to mouse over all the them looking for one I might remember I liked. We should be able to see the brush names displayed in the panel without having to mouse over them.

Although not the answer to your problem, I've found that it's possible to make it behave slightly better by changing the 'Tooltip Delay' setting so that the tooltip displays instantly, rather than with a slight delay.  Obviously it's still not ideal and I too would like to be able to see the brush names without using the tooltip, but at least for now it makes the tooltip a bit more usable.

The setting can be found by going to Edit > Preferences > User Interface > Tooltip Delay.  The default setting already looks set to the left, but it's possible to move it even further to the left to remove the tooltip delay.

post-29590-0-95496500-1490100602_thumb.png