You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.5.2.62

One thing I can't test, as I have not yet the commercial version (only have AD but was crazily active in the AP free beta times), is, besides the well known thing of disabling "Windows INK" in your MS Windows (I think you are in that platform) Wacom settings dialog which you can find in Windows "Settings" (control panel). But also, one that I was not in time to test, too, and that some users report creates lag/delay/issues with other software (non Affinity's)  : Disable the double click distance (put the slider all to the left), so it is in the left extreme, where says "deactivated".(double pen click as a double click. You don't need that for drawing,) For sake test, do it -please- both in the "All applications" settings and also in the setting specific that you surely have created to customize Wacom with AP.

Another measure for applications having lag (mostly for large brushes, but could apply here... !) while brush drawing: If have double monitor try with a single monitor configruation (changing it in the configuration for the monitor and desktop), or a very large high res desktop resolution (ie, a 27") but the graphic card is not very powerful (ie, a cpu integrated, even if an intel! ) has lead to slow performance with big brushes. Reducing resolution, and/or getting a better graphic card and/or disabling double monitor has solved many of these problems to other people. But with other applications, not Affinity's (which does a better work, I believe, in that matter, so probably the solution in this last paragraph and itself, does not apply to AP. BUT...I always try everything, tho, as one never knows...

For the record, it did happen to me too very significantly not allowing serious (painting and illustration only (well, "only") ! ) work with old betas (I reported it graphically). Please let us know if some of this improves the situation, could be very helpful.   :)  (I've no relation at all, in the slightest, with Serif or Affinity line, so, is just  sth that came to my mind, now, as an extra effort trying to improve the situation.)

Hey SrPx

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I remember trying out the options with double click during beta. I probably found same info on the internet as you, that some people had problems with delays because of that options. Have this options deactivated, That does not help unfortunately.

I am running windows 8.1, i have never heard of Windows INK, after quick search i see that this is related to window 10.

Big size brushes are indeed different problem. But its not related. I am using now 2-10 pixel brush while testing AP and literally nothing helped. I am wondering if it is really windows related or maybe Wacom model? I have tryied my wacom on different PC (well it also has windows 8.1, but that is about all the similarities), and that Wacom had same problems there as on my PC.

But there must be something AP does not do right. I have tested my Wacom on Photoshop, Gimp, Krita, Black Ink, PaintTool SAI and some more less know drawing softwares. Every single one works perfectly fine with my Wacom..... but AP :(

Hey SrPx

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I remember trying out the options with double click during beta. I probably found same info on the internet as you, that some people had problems with delays because of that options. Have this options deactivated, That does not help unfortunately.

I am running windows 8.1, i have never heard of Windows INK, after quick search i see that this is related to window 10.

Hey, not really, I disabled it in my Windows 7. You have more info here :

http://viziblr.com/news/2013/6/23/the-windows-and-wacom-tablet-nightmare-is-over.html

"  which is the solution we've been waiting for. Windows 7 and Windows 8 are usable again  "

It wont show up in every driver, I believe old drivers didn't have it, i had to download a new one and install it for my Intuos 4.

I highlight some of the issues the article's author says doing so get addressed :

"   No more Dynamic Feedback rings "
"  No more Press-and-Hold  "
" No Drag Delay "

Reading that, does not surprise me too much that in several software painting apps both features (windows ink and the double click distance thing left as ON ) do have a negative effect on painting. 

It well could be that simply other applications do not conflict with these so "lovable features" Windows (and Wacom) has/offers, but AP/AD do have a conflict there. Still, I have the suspicion, like you, that there's sth else, internal to AP. But IMO is good to test these things, Wacom is not perfect either, fine tuning the system for it is sth we are anyways used to have to do...

Indeed, I believe in the past with older Wacom drivers I just used to disable the Windows service triggered and some process(es), a bit in the "geeky" way... As the ring was really annoying.

Big size brushes are indeed different problem. But its not related. I am using now 2-10 pixel brush while testing AP and literally nothing helped. I am wondering if it is really windows related or maybe Wacom model? I have tryied my wacom on different PC (well it also has windows 8.1, but that is about all the similarities), and that Wacom had same problems there as on my PC.

My point was that what affects more clearly on big sizes might be actually also affecting in a more subtle way with smaller ones, wouldn't be the first time with a 2D software.

But there must be something AP does not do right. I have tested my Wacom on Photoshop, Gimp, Krita, Black Ink, PaintTool SAI and some more less know drawing softwares. Every single one works perfectly fine with my Wacom..... but AP  :(

I agree completely, having a number of 2D painting apps installed, I experience the same.  I only mentioned those possible solutions because these matters tend to be very complex, and you might see some improvement. I do fear that wouldn't be a total solution of the issues. Definitely, disabling Windows INK and double click distance set as deactivated is sth I'd test if I were you, no matter what.

Yet though, it seems disabling Windows Ink might disable Photoshop pressure sensitivity, from what I've read, lol. If I were you I'd test it, anyway, it worth it to hunt issues.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Thanks again for detailed answer. I have found the Windows INK option. I missed it before because in my native language it has different name.

Disabling it dosent change a thing. Photoshop works as before same as AP (read PS works fine, AP does not). No luck here either.

Concerning big brushes, i am using one monitor with fairly small resolution (1440x900). So i cannot check what you have suggested here.

Very odd thing is that some people dosent have problem using Wacom with AP, and some does. It seems like user abphoto in post #23 have no longer problems with Wacom delay. Would be usefull to know what model does he uses and what driver.

4. tiff is the original.  That I believe comes from Mac world, we at Windows have certain limitations since always (inherited from MSDOS)... I used to use irfanview's amazing batch renamer (and for other reasons, its great batch converter) to once in a while rename hundreds of file extensions in a folder, with the touch of a button.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

200 fixes is not a lot to make a list. A decent programming team will be using bug tracking software and will be able to generate a list in seconds.

We do, and that's how I generate the list. But then I sanitise the list line by line before releasing it (not all bug reports are accurate, or there may be grammatical errors, or contain commercial information, etc, etc).

I thought it was more important that I continue fixing bugs, rather than spend time editing a list.

We do, and that's how I generate the list. But then I sanitise the list line by line before releasing it (not all bug reports are accurate, or there may be grammatical errors, or contain commercial information, etc, etc).

I thought it was more important that I continue fixing bugs, rather than spend time editing a list.

don't think so 

it's like "pics or it didn't happen"

every feature needs a marketing effort to promote it otherwise it's worth nothing (see photoline)

and every bug needs a notice that it's fixed because every bug fix is just like a sort of feature so the bugfix only ends when the users are informed that they can now use that part of the software in a better way. Otherwise your hard work would not be honored appropriately.

That would be so in an ideal situation. With little time and resources on their side is there were we have the opportunity to be helpful ! This is a beta test thread, we are beta testing... I have worked at companies were not only there was no time to give any list to the beta testing team, the issue was more related to it being a pre-alpha not able to run 10 seconds without a critical crash, and still that work from us was needed as it boosted the programmers productivity ! . C'mon, most of us know were are the issues, and what is more, have an specific area which is were we  find the obstacle for our specific work flows, and can/could test that specially, as IMO, no one is expected to test all the freaking app in every feature, every bug, and with every release... While not ideal, this gives them some breath and the flow of betas and testing/improving is MUCH more dynamic. I know by experience, long years. Of course, a list is ideal, but fast flow is IMO preferable, leave the lists, marketing and other stuff for major releases, not for when two betas have come so near in time (same day?).

Hello Mark, a beta is worth nothing if you do not know what is to be tested in particular. What is the result of this beta? Only that the beta can be installed well? We want to help, gladly. But be in the dark.

The most important points could help.
Greeting Dieter

Germany, Affinity Photo WIN 1.7 , LR6, WIN10

Providing the list does not involve time or effort. The list is serfis daily worksheet and internally surely gets updated every 20 minutes - it's just a political question of making it public or not. So we can suggest it but there's no need to bring the subject up again and again ...

@Keith: you made my day ... I already missed your grumpy old mans comments ;-)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Providing the list does not involve time or effort.

Maybe British English is very hard to understand ?  :O :O :O I dunno, is not my first language, and I could understand it !   I'll quote from Mark :

Maybe British English is very hard to understand ?   :o :o :o I dunno, is not my first language, and I could understand it !   I'll quote from Mark :

Yeah, sure ..

It's propably not about understanding english but beeing able to judge the efforts. Since I've been working in depth in the SW development industrie for many years I'm quite aware of what Mark talks about. Of course you have to go through the list and "sanitise" it ... but that's a no-brainer (considering what's there already - at least within a decend structured company, and I'm sure serif is!). Spending 50 minutes to properly clean the list is no topic to mention when it comes to qualified customer response in return - unless you don't want to provide the list for whatever reason. And this comment is not meant critical towards serif - as I said before it's a political decison I do respect! But don't defend everything serif says like an apple-polisher.

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

I don't defend everything Serif says (and surely you don't attack everything Serif does...Or do you), even while I would be in my right to do so if I wished, and none could tell me not to do that (other than a moderator), btw, but is not an intention of doing so (defending everything they say), I just like being fair with other people's effort !! And to compare our effort in beta testing (and I can speak about that, quite) with their heavy work...  plus I have pointed out problems in the apps that I could find, etc. But with such a great luck we are having, a more constructive attitude (and bit less rudeness) is the least we could give...  I have indeed worked as a beta tester, and editing those bugs lists (web master and content editor for very long time, among other profiles) in a very similar company for seven years (before in 2 similar ones). So, 50 minutes is not too much, yeah... or it is, when you have given away 4 or 5 extra hours, you are really exhausted, you are tired as for even another 20 minutes, and/or your family is really waiting for you. This happens a royal lot at small companies, or, those places not having enough super specialized people for the task (seems the case), so there's a one man or woman for all, completely overflowed. Maybe not "one" but very few, and at least that aspect has been mentioned here many times. 

Also... customers ? Well, yeah, we have purchased Affinity's uber cheap tools for what, some 40 or 50 bucks. Go check competitors prices (and I don't mean the obvious subscription-only one)... The free updates policy, for such long term and with such fast update pace and numerous betas... This is really uncommon and extremely generous from Serif, as so to be like a tad more flexible/patient with certain absolutely logical corners that are usual in small teams. Instead of being happy that you have a beta very often, instead of each 5 months -if any beta at all- and it seems is chosen to nitpick on every little thing.  Sigh.

Yep - but then some folk would have less to whine about...

I believe they would whine even if they were given the two apps for free + updates. (which is almost the case...)

I for one do not care a jot for the 'list'... I have my well defined workflows that I use (then external plug ins) so I personally test them. I personally do not test areas of no interest (panorama I use ICE, HDR/tone maps - I use photomatix as I did with Photoshop) So, I for one, am happy to pay my £30 adapt and tweak my workflow, kick out ADOBE and support Serif.

I enjoy using AP!

And 200 fixes, man... That's a lot to make a list ....

Surely the list came first?  I don't mind checking to see if bugs really have been fixed, but it's a waste of everyone's time if we're reporting on things which weren't supposed to have been fixed in the first place.

<edit>

I realise this point's been done to death, and I'd have deleted the post if I could only work out how to do it!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

FYI:

- The progress bar (e.g. export) in Win 7 still shows no progress

- HDR Merge still shows funny patterns and completely crashes afterwards ... (quite disappointing since it was a well known bug already in the last version)

attachicon.gifHDR merge crash.jpg

The problem I had with crashes after HDR Merge has been fixed - I've never seen anything like those patterns.  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• Staff

Problem with adjusting curves when drawing vector lines.

More in detail on the video.

https://youtu.be/C7whsR40Rqg

Thank you for the video, it is most helpful.

The behaviour you are seeing is correct. When the dot is in the centre of the squares both nodes are linked, if you click the square again , the dot will disappear and it will be unlinked allowing you to separately adjust the start and end nodes.