You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is something I always had to work around in Illustrator. All object 3D transforms sharing the same perspective.

I made it work by adding an empty rectangle that had neither a fill, nor a line to a group and did the transform on that. So I could add to it.

For Affinity a new and more thought out system would make sense.

What I'm suggesting is a basic 3D space. No raytracing or rendering tools here. Just a basic space where to put vector and pixel objects into and place them soundly with each other. A bit like Apple's Motion with rotation and 3D position tools. For compositing / matte painting the cherry on top would be the ability to import Alembic or FBX camera files with a distance readout on the Z-Buffer for fogs, fades and blurs (like a dynamic alpha).

This new space could be the basis for a more sophisticated grid system to create single and multi-point perspective grids for various uses from lettering to comic book panels. 

Combined with the ability to toggle objects from their normal object type to guides (and back) this could make it very easy to visually create complex grid systems for perspective drawings.

The lower level the implementation, the better. Think of a vector warp tool that adheres to its points being dragged in a 3D context. It would make wraparound logos a breeze. Or tin can label mockups that accurately match but still remain 100% live editable vector. For basic modelling an extrude/lathe would be expected though, since Illustrator has that. Badly done, but it's there.

Your proposal is interesting - it sounds a lot like the 3d system ClipStudio has.

I suppose a work-around is to do the 3d sketching in Google SketchUp, and import the (flattened) result into Designer.

Thinking about this, I think it would be difficult for the Affinity devs to compete with SketchUp's ease of use and simplicity of building 3d objects. It would be preferable to be able to load a 3d environment/object built in SketchUp into a 3d reference layer in Designer - one which can be freely orbited, panned, and zoomed. Similar to ClipStudio.

That's why I said "basic". Just kinda what Illustrator has, but done right. 

Your proposal is interesting - it sounds a lot like the 3d system ClipStudio has.

I suppose a work-around is to do the 3d sketching in Google SketchUp, and import the (flattened) result into Designer.

Thinking about this, I think it would be difficult for the Affinity devs to compete with SketchUp's ease of use and simplicity of building 3d objects. It would be preferable to be able to load a 3d environment/object built in SketchUp into a 3d reference layer in Designer - one which can be freely orbited, panned, and zoomed. Similar to ClipStudio.