You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Different behavior between opacity gradient and greyscale gradient on a mask

Hi there,

Can someone explain me why I cannot get the same result when I use a greyscale gradient onto a layer mask and a opacity gradient onto a vector layer mask ?

In order to help you understand what I mean, here are 2 screenshots of the same photo.  I used 2 different methods to achieve this result:

- One using my Text as a 'vector' Layer mask onto my Image

- One using my image clipped to a text  with a layer mask

From my point of view, this should be the same result as both 'greyscale gradient' (for pixel layer masks) and 'opacity gradient' (for vector layer masks) deal with transparency of the layer. But strangely it is not !!

Look at the quality of the fade on the second image.  Can someone explain me why I got this strange greyish color on my second screenshot ?

If I don't use any gradient (greyscale or opacity) onto my layer masks, the resulting images are exactly and rigorously the same !!

I tried both methods into photoshop, and as I thought I can achieve the same result.  A clean and smooth fade of my text without any greyish color.  (look at the last 2 screenshots)

Thanks for your help !

@++
Dwarf

PS: I can attach the affinity photo file and PSD file if needed !

post-51716-0-50031100-1490368906_thumb.png

post-51716-0-59401400-1490368918_thumb.png

post-51716-0-14283100-1490369041_thumb.png

post-51716-0-39212800-1490369057_thumb.png

Dwarf,

Certainly seems buggish.

BUT.... have you tried adding the masks to the image rather that the clipping text?

Seems to work fine with both methods.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 4.37.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 4.36.54 PM.png

Hi JimmyJack,

Thanks for your reply,

If I remember well, I tried to put the mask on the image but the result was the same.

I'll try again tomorrow.

@++

Dwarf

Hi JimmyJack,

So I've done some other tests and found that your workarround works only in one situation:  If my text is written in black.

If you apply the mask to the clipped image, this will not affect both the Text and the clipped image at the same time, but will apply only to the clipped image, and the color of the text will appear accordingly to the mask

Here are the results of my different tests.  As you can see, if the text is written in black, this seems to work well, but If my text is written in an other color... 

(In fact, if the text and my vertical rectangle are both colored with the same color, the fade effect is working...)

@++
Dwarf

post-51716-0-26409800-1490603131_thumb.png

post-51716-0-51254300-1490603135_thumb.png

post-51716-0-93447600-1490603138_thumb.png