You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Additional object alignment options?

I am currently evaluating the Windows trial version. I have been using Inkscape exclusively for vector illustration. One feature of Inkscape I use frequently is an align option that allows aligning the left edge of an object to the right edge of an anchor object (or vice-versa). I am not finding an equivalent option under the available align entries. Should I add this as a feature request or is it just buried somewhere that I haven't discovered yet?

I use this align feature to implement shapes that are symmetrical. I create one half of the desired shape, duplicate, flip horizontal, align left and right edges, then combine the 2 shapes into one. Perhaps there is some alternative method to achieve the same effect?

One feature of Inkscape I use frequently is an align option that allows aligning the left edge of an object to the right edge of an anchor object (or vice-versa).

Hello drawroht,

wellcome to the forum.

It is very easy to align objects side by side when you turn snapping on (magnet icon in the icon bar). Then, once you move the copied and mirrored object, it snaps exactly to the boundaries of the original object.

It's a different approach but very exact.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi drawroht,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

After duplicate and flip the object, press ⇧ (shift) and drag the duplicate to constraint its movement (in this case) to an horizontal axis. If you have snapping enabled it should align both halves automatically. See clip below.

attachicon.gifalign_and_join.gif

Hello drawroht,

wellcome to the forum.

It is very easy to align objects side by side when you turn snapping on (magnet icon in the icon bar). Then, once you move the copied and mirrored object, it snaps exactly to the boundaries of the original object.

It's a different approach but very exact.

d.

MEB and Dominik -- This method works perfectly, and it is very fast. Thank You!!

MEB and Dominik -- This method works perfectly, and it is very fast. Thank You!!

Great, good to know  :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

The fastest way would be doing it like CorelDRAW or Xara Designer. Use Ctrl to constrain dimensions, then pull one of the side handles to the other side, then right-click to duplicate the object. All is done with one gesture.

The fastest way would be doing it like CorelDRAW or Xara Designer. Use Ctrl to constrain dimensions, then pull one of the side handles to the other side, then right-click to duplicate the object. All is done with one gesture.

I am familiar with this method from Xara Designer and it is very fast, indeed. But I accustomed myself to Affinity's method after a short time.

Perhaps it could be incorporated into AD?

d.

I am familiar with this method from Xara Designer and it is very fast, indeed. But I accustomed myself to Affinity's method after a short time.

Perhaps it could be incorporated into AD?

d.

I'd love to, I use both softwares but Xara's method is way faster, more precise and more versatile: the same duplication method is used for translation, scaling, rotation and shearing.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.