You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just bought Affinity Designer a few days ago and I have this problem:

Even when I have a layer locked and I'm  working on an upper layer... the paths goes right on to the locked layer and I have to manually move this object to the current layer I was working on. 

post-40260-0-42232400-1492643799_thumb.jpg

On the image you can see that the selected path is on the locked layer and I started doing that line on the upper layer... it's annoying...

There is a way to avoid this? I tryed to restart Affinity Designer... Create another document but the problem stills there so I'm guessing this is a behavior and not a bug. 

mvgraph,

I don't know if this is right or not but it seems to me that you have a layer above an Artboard and that is what is causing the problem. I would suggest creating the layers as children (under or inside) of the Artboard. So create your Artboard and then with it selected, created your layers so that they are a subset of the Artboard. Then you can lock the layer you want to lock and it will stay within that layer. Or you could just make your document the exact size of the artboard and then not worry about even using an artboard. 

Hope that helps,

Hokusai

• Staff

Hi mvgraph,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is by design. Any object you draw over an artboard will be automatically moved to the respective artboard layer. As Hokusai suggested the best way to deal with it is having the artboards as main structural elements with everything else inside or just use a regular non-artboard based document and organise the layers as you see fit (in this case the layers are the main structural/organisational element).

mvgraph,

I don't know if this is right or not but it seems to me that you have a layer above an Artboard and that is what is causing the problem. I would suggest creating the layers as children (under or inside) of the Artboard. So create your Artboard and then with it selected, created your layers so that they are a subset of the Artboard. Then you can lock the layer you want to lock and it will stay within that layer. Or you could just make your document the exact size of the artboard and then not worry about even using an artboard. 

Hope that helps,

Hokusai

Oh yeah, that was the problem. Thanks!

So an Arboard is different than a layer... so what is a layer exactly? and if it is above the Artboard why doesn't apply the hierarchy? Well... It's handy that Artboards work that way after all I think.