2 replies to this topic

#1 vjsouza

vjsouza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

Hello, guys at Serif.

I have a seroius problem opening EPS with Affinity Designer 1.5.2.58 and Affinity Photo 1.5.1.54

Affinity is unable to interpret some vectors with shadows without rasterize it to a flat bitmap.

I've found this wonderful site, http://all-free-download.com/to download free vector graphics. All files are EPS, and Affinity have a problem opening EPS files!

Please, see the 3 attached files for more details

Attached Thumbnails

• Affinity.jpg
  • Illustrator CC 2017.jpg

Attached Files

#2 MEB

MEB

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15,795 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:35 PM

Hi vjsouza,

This EPS contains embedded proprietary Ai data which is what Adobe Illustrator uses when it opens the file as a way to keep everything editable. Affinity Designer can only access the actual EPS data (the official spec) which for example doesn't support any kind of transparency or fx effects and so most of these elements are rasterised. You will get a similar result if you try to import this file in another software other than Illustrator.

#3 MikeW

MikeW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

...You will get a similar result if you try to import this file in another software other than Illustrator.

Not true, MEB.

CD opens the file just fine. XDP also does with the exception of the text that has been converted to curves are jumbled and misplaced. The only objects in either software that are bitmaps are the drop shadows. Everything else is fine and present.

In both cases, they are opening the embedded CS2 version of the file. So while it is true that AD can only open the EPS version of the file, other software has managed to get to the AI part. I believe that Serif needs to not only do so when reading such an EPS file, but also perhaps save that portion into files destined for stock web sites.

Mike

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users