You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

cloning does not work

cloning does not work from layer to layer 

cloning doesnt seem to work from one image to another

cloning only seem to work on one layer on same image only

is there a way to clone from anywhere to anywhere like in photoshop?

• Staff

Hi shadstarn, Fogey,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To clone between layers make sure the appropriate option is selected in the context toolbar dropdown (after the Aligned checkbox).

To clone between documents, select the layer you want to clone to, press ⌥ (option/alt) to select the source area you want to use from that layer then click the Add Global Source button in the context toolbar, change to the target document and paint. The small white circle in the Sources panel indicates the source area used from that layer. You can have more than one layer as a source.

For more information about cloning check this video tutorial: Affinity Photo - Clone Sources.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate that AD allows one to have more than one source file while cloning. However, if one wants to continue to use the same source, having to go back and double click on the same source over and over is burdensome. Is there any way to hold down ⌥ (option/alt) with modifier key while clicking and do the same thing as again double clicking that same source? This would be very useful while repairing a tif, cleaning a photo, etc.

PS: Since it appears I cannot delete my post above, I'll add this PS. I went out of AP and then back in and found that when I am cloning from the same source in which I am making the corrections, pressing ⌥ (option/alt) brings back the cursor for choosing a new source area from which to clone.  This did not seem to work when I was not using the same source as the one I was editing. I'll keep experimenting.

I'm back to my first paragraph above since the second paragraph does not now appear to be work. MEB, is there a trick to pressing ⌥ (option/alt) to bring back the cursor for choosing a new source area from which to clone, or should it work like this? I was happy to see it working, then rebooted and it no longer worked. I had to go back and could click on my source for each new place from which to clone. 

Thanks for your advice, MEB, but I see no Aligned checkbox in my Context Toolbar, nor a drop down. There are multiple "align" option I can add to this toolbar but I'm not sure which one, if any are appropriate. Could you also explain a bit more about the various options once I find this. I have been working tediously with AP cloning and have learned much more. However, sometimes simply holding OPT down (in Mac) brings up the "x" cursor which allows me to chose a new position on my source, and often it does not. As I said above, not having to double click on the same source over and over to bring up the "x" cursor but simply holding down OPT would be much more efficient. Is there any trick to make this happen (since sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't)

BTW, when i m cloning in AP from a different layer in the same doc, I double click on my source object to chose a new reference point, and up comes that source, greatly enlarged on screen. I should add that I the source I'm clicking on as been reduced in size to fit the area to which I am cloning it. I hope my queries make sense. Thanks for any advice you can give.