You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Red outline appearing on grouped items

I am getting a red outline when grouping and ungrouping items, as well as when I am just moving over my work. I can't duplicate it for you, because it fades within a few seconds. I haven't changed anything knowingly in my set up. Is this a bug? Or is this a deliberate feature I added accidentally. Thanks for your time.

Are you sure that this is specifically a beta issue? In your earlier thread, you didn't reply to my question about whether you had snapping enabled. If the issue persists when you disable snapping, then there is clearly something else going on.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have snapping enabled for margins, and objects and of course those lines are red to line things up, and stay in their proper function, but never every shape within every picture even if you are not ungrouping it. Even turning off the snapping it still happens. Hmm it seems odd. It comes up and fades. Now after working for 4 hours it suddenly stopped. I am suspecting something strange, because the whole movement within the program slowed while it was overlaying these red lines within the picture, even trying to do simple tasks was extremely slow. Thanks so much for following me to the right forum.

Some new files cannot function when ungrouped, as the feature to move images forward and backward within the picture does not function. That feature is still functioning on the old files, so I am having to work around this for now. Also when trying to select images, there is no select feature that happens just a line that surrounds the selected object, then if you close the file and re-open it then the select feature is on. That issue I have had for a year, and I have mentioned it before, but could not forward a sample due to copyright issues at work.  Today so far I am not having the red surrounding all my images and ungrouping them without my requesting to ungroup. I work approximately for 8 hours a day on this program, and know it well enough to not question if it is my lack of knowledge on how it works that has caused this. The way it functions and then does not function seems to me to indicate a problem or a bug. Hope this helps.

Did I copy and paste the screen shot correctly - this is an example of two images being grouped

when only one was copied and pasted. I have had many issues today of ungrouping when copying and pasting. I will keep trying

to get you a thumbnail or image if you cannot view this. I have little experience in sending the screen shot. I am unable to function

today with my work. Now I am getting concerned. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-05-15 at 5.49.45 PM.png

I am trying again by instructions I found to post this file on affinity hope it works and it helps

The Affinity document is likely to be more helpful than a screenshot.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Suzannewendie,

Sorry the delay replying to your post.

As Alfred suggested can you please upload the .afdesign file instead? That is, the fie you are actually working with in Designer, not a screen capture of it, so we can see how you are building/structuring your illustration. Without it it's difficult to guess what's going on. Here's how to attach a file to a post just in case you need it.

I hope I did it right this time thanks for your patience the file may be too large so let me know if that is a problem. The balloon when moved picks up the other balloon and groups it where i cannot move them separately. 

If I got this wrong I will try again, no one I know understands mac, serif, or my system. 

post-13724-0-97113200-1495127933_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi Suzannewendie,

No worries, we are here to help. Seems you have exported the file using the menu File ▸ Export rather than Save As (menu File ▸ Save As) as i suggested. In any case from your screenshot looks like you are working with vector objects. If when you click one of the green/yellow balloons both get selected try to press ⇧ (shift) + ⌘ (cmd) + G to ungroup them. Then try to select one of them again. Does it now picks just the ballon you want?

It will ungroup both of them at the same time. When I start with a grouped object and ungroup them the first grouped object still maintains its own grouping. What is unusual is when I slid the top balloon over the bottom balloon they grouped as one. I have never had that happen before. I am hoping I heard your instructions right and I took this file from my affinity designer folder on desktop.

balloons2.afdesign

I shut down my program and went back in and double clicked on the balloon and they were separated after 3 days of trying. Maybe that shortcut worked after all, and I needed to go in and out of the file once again. I will try this if it happens again, and see if this helps from now on. Those odd ungrouping in red outlines never reoccurred after the first day. I love this program it is allowing me to write and illustrate books with my grandchild. She is already learning on this program. People like you are changing lives with this program. Your help is appreciated more than you know!!!!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.