You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 1)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

This is the first beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• First and foremost, the 1.6 version is mainly about: Light UI! (go to Preferences->User Interface)
  • Improved view pan/zoom performance and new pixel-differencing pixel shader
  • Improved performance with large documents
  • New font chooser dropdown with recents, used fonts and favourites
  • New Glyph browser
  • Stroke stabiliser for all pencil and brush tools
  • Align to key items (first/last selected)
  • Text frame vertical alignment options
  • Fit frame to text (double-click on bottom centre handle).
  • Transform panel uses the rotation centre
  • Scale/shear can now be performed about rotation centre
  • Double-click now resets shape handles and rotate/shear handles
  • Many PDF export improvements including vector export of multi-stop gradients
  • Numerous bug fixes and stability improvements

Thanks! Looks like there's a lot of neat things to play around with.  :)

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Bless my old eyes, the light UI is clearer by far.

Brush stabilization, nice! Rotate/shear based on rotation center very welcomed.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi Matt,

Many thanks for new beta! Great performance and speed, I'm so impressed!!!

The very first request is please make (or fix) 'copy/paste in place' feature) from artboard to artboard.

It really slows down workflow when you have to copy one element (logo, for example) from one artboard then to paste it in other (with same size) artboard and... after that to correct element position.

Here's a link about this issue earlier:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/14983-copy-paste-between-two-artboards/

Cheers

Vitaliy

Cheers team for the new beta!

Glyph panel looks pretty extensive and will be a very welcomed addition.

Couple issues straight off though...

- I'm getting an instant crash upon selecting the light UI button in the interface preference panel...

- spacebar panning the document for me isn't working and sometimes moves and copies objects around on the artboard.... 

any thoughts?

I noticed this beta opens up will all of my previous settings intact, panel locations, installed brushes etc... is there a way to open up a clean default UI. Maybe something from my previous setup is affecting the new beta??

Hi retrograde,

Press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the app from Launchpad, tick all checkboxes then press the Clear button from the dialog that will open to reset the app.

Cheers MEB, I'll give that a try. :-)

The new beta looks great!

The vertical aligning of text didn't work correctly at first try, because it seemed the text had a negative offset equal to its leading. When I changed the leading to zero the text jumped into the right place. After that I encountered no more problems with it, even when setting the leading to a different value. Unfortunately I can't seem to recreate the issue.

A question: is there a button in the UI for the vertical text alignment or am I missing it?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.