You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I make a time warp effect?

JackSwyr

Hi, I bought this program a while ago and love it, also bought the book but because of a lot of other commitments I haven't had a chance to learn it 100% yet.  I'm no graphics designer, I just make silly make comics for people.

So can anyone please give me a quick lesson on how to create an effect with this screenshot of how to make it look like the plane is going through some time warp, something where it's stretched out or going into a time tunnel or some kind of look like that?  

I watched almost all the videos but couldn't find anything like that effect.

Many thanks to all who wish to help.

Jack

vk1wmCd.jpg

Hi Jack,

Your request is a tall order. There are many design choices you can make.

You could use stock art of something that resembles a background plate you wish to use with this aircraft, or you could use something completely out of left field, distort the heck out of it, apply filters and effects to mold it to your desire, or you could design something with vectors, bring it to Affinity Photo and manipulate it there. This really is a question of design.

The options are rather endless as to what you want it to look like. It’s up to you.

If your skills just aren’t at that level, you’re gonna find it hard to make or change something to suite your needs. Education and training is your first asset. You have to familiarize yourself with the software and conventions of photo editing.

Whatever you choose to do, you’re gonna need to isolate this jet from the background, do you have a good grasp of selections and layers?

Hi James and thank you for your fast reply. In fact, I'd like the entire screenshot distorted, something like it's going through a wormhole in space. I do have a lot to learn but I thought someone would give me help with selecting the filters or layers or tools I need, something like a mini step-by-step do this kind of thing. I don't even know where to begin, I mean I don't know what tool would be best for the job.

It has to look like the pilot flew through another dimension or something, I just want to make it look like something dramatic happened. Then the next few panels will lead to the punchline.

Thanks James.

Try to find a wormhole image, or maybe take a photo of something, anything, and maybe apply a radial blur to it. I dunno if you know how to do this next part, but apply that image as a layer over the fighter jet image and paint a mask to allow the jet to show through. I'm sorry, but if you don't know what you're doing in Affinity Photo (or any photo editor) you're going to find this seemingly simple task pretty difficult.

Well after watching the videos, especially the first in the series this is a greta idea. After what I've seen I think I can handle something like this. This is what I needed, an idea of how and where to start James, thank you. I appreicate it. And you're right, it will take all my free time to get a handle on this as I'm a writer and comic maker, not a grpahics artist. But I can learn.

I hope you're referring to the many great Affinity Photo videos on Vimeo's channel, they're by Serif, the makers of AP.

These are gold!

Also, there's a gentleman on YouTube, Carl Surry, he has a bunch of videos you should watch here. He runs a Facebook group on Affinity Photo and is affiliated with yet another AP FB Group.

Good Hunting.

Wow! I'll be sure to look at those YT's! Yes, the Affinity vimeo videos. I love them! They're short and easy to follow and one builds on the last.

I have a lot to do that's for sure. I'm so busy I feel like a one-armed wallpaper hanger so it's tough to drop everything and focus on learning one program. But, I have to tell you, it's one of the best programs I have ever used.

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"

post-17958-0-35774400-1495173707_thumb.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi again James,

I tried messing with the image but was unsuccessful as I really have no idea what would be the easiest way.  I need something real fast.  Do you have any recommendations as to exactly what tool and what steps I could take to just make it look distorted, kind of like a swirl on the image or something?  Step by step, something simple?

Thanks.

You're welcome, Jack. Check your email, sent you AP link to DropBox.

Play with the layers, although you prolly won't be able to figure some things out because I rasterized 1 or 2 steps. But the Path layer (Curve Layer) is there—the Pen Tool. You're gonna have to buckle down with training & education if you wanna do anything with photo editing.

Best of luck.

You bet James, as soon as I get the chance it's all I'm going to be doing.  I need to drop what I'm doing and hit the book and videos not to mention the tutorials in the book.  Man, I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Jack

This is perfect too!  I like them both but I didn't see your thumbnail.  How can I get it without the words?  Thanks a lot!

For future reference, you can simply remove the text just by using the Inpainting Tool.

But I have attached a new copy for you plus the original AP file

post-17958-0-31266600-1495245291_thumb.jpg

timewarp.afphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.