You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Zig zag / wavy line shape

• Staff

Hi bowen192,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, there's no specific tool/option for this. Use a grid to help you draw a zig-zag line, then if you need to convert it to a wavy one , select all nodes with the Node Tool and  change them to Smooth nodes in the context toolbar (in the Convert section).

It would be interesting if the Smudge Brush Tool worked on pixel masks to accomplish this, but then again, I think the masks are just for selections.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 1 year later...

I think those old type of illustrator vector plugins were great time savers. It would be nice to see something similar for Affinity Designer.

Out of curiosity I just tried making a curvy line using this method. (the nodes seemed to stay in place for me).

line.png

v2.4.0 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.3.1

• Staff

Hi Njalonjalo,
You can do it on both iPad and desktop version. The process is the same as i explained above: use a grid to help you draw a zig-zag line, then to convert it to a wavy one, select all nodes with the Node Tool and  change them to Smooth nodes in the context toolbar on bottom (iPad) or in the context toolbar right above the work area (in the Convert section) if you are using the desktop version.

• Staff

Hi Njalonjalo,
I'm not sure i understood you. What do you mean with the nodes move? If you select the Node Tool, drag a marquee around all the nodes and tap the Smooth icon in the context toolbar on bottom it should work without issues. Can you expand a little on what's happening for you (maybe record a small clip)?

If I create a zig zag then I use the pen tool with snapping on. I use the grid to go from point to point. When I zoom in to check then I see they are a bit off the grid and correct this . I zoom out to continue but when I zoom in again they have moved. I’ve just tried it again and it still does it but less thrn than the first time, so not sure if I have inadvertently done something else. 

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi bigbill,
You can use the star shape to build a circular wavy circle. See attached file below. Select the Star Tool and click the shape. Notice/adjust the red dots to change the shape's properties on canvas or use the controls in the context toolbar.

wavy_circle.afdesign

2 hours ago, bigbill said:

....Try to draw a circular gear using the above method. It takes hours!!!

Have you tried using the Cog Shape Tool?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 years later...

+1 for a zigzag effect. I use the Ai version a lot for my technical fashion drawing and is a big time saver.
Yes the workaround above does the trick (drawing zigzag to grid) but if you want to adjust spacing or size it means starting from scratch again.

Another feature to look forward to.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.