You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AFD 1.6 Mac Duplicating objects' size not consistent

Created circle (black)

Duplicated thru Edit>Duplicate

Made sure rotation centre in Xform panel and rotation centre icon is in Centre position

Locked resize lock

Resized manually to 180mm diam

Duplicated circle twice more (Blue & Green), resized by same method (manually)

Duplicated green circle using cmd+J

Which should give me a duplicate circle 10mm smaller.

The latter duplicated circle (red) is NOT 160mm, it is 160.56mm

This happens each time you duplicate thru cmd+J and resize the object.

It also happens in the MAS version 1.5.5.

Am I doing something wrong or might this be a bug ?

Thanks for your input,

C.L.

No, this isn’t a bug, it is the way it works … provided that I understood you correctly …  ;)

• First off, the black circle is irrelevant for the calculation of the red circle’s dimensions. The Power Duplicate algorithm takes its start values from the transformation performed after the creation of the last duplicate only. So we have to think from the blue circle onwards.
  • So if I understood you correctly, you duplicated the blue circle and adjusted the duplicate to the dimensions of the green circle.
  • Then you invoked the Power Duplicate algorithm by using Cmd + J.
  • However, you won’t get an arithmetic progression of object sizes by using this algorithm, but a geometric progression, where each term after the first one is found by multiplying the previous one by a fixed, non-zero number, the so-called common ratio. I believe your expectation was to get an arithmetic progression, where each term after the first one is found by adding a fixed, non-zero number to the previous one (in your case that number was negative).

I think there was a thread discussing the creation of equally-spaced concentric circles somewhere … let’s see if I can find it …  :)

Thank you, ABC.

I've read the posts you refer to.

Seems I'm not the only one raising my eyebrows over such omittance in this software.

It should be possible to create accurate concentric circles of any size chosen by the user.

Still waiting for the issues with the ruler "system" to be fixed as well, which, after all the questions

posted in these forums unfortunately still haven't been addressed either.

Hopefully someone in dev will take note and do something about it.

C.L.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.