You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

About closing a panel...

I notice in the panel menu in the top right of a panel or block of panels, the menu choices do not include Close.

I know you can close a panel by View > Studio > uncheck the panel. And Help says:

Each Persona's workspace can be customized to fit your individual way of working.

To hide/show a panel:
  • From the View menu, click the panel name on the Studio flyout. To show again, click the panel name again.
etc, etc

BUT I also notice the Layers panel has a nice big X in the top right that quickly closes that panel. Thought maybe it is because I have the Layers panel standing separate from other panels. No, the Assets panel is separate and doesn't have a handy "X" - so, a quick "X" close is only available for Layers?? Or am I missing something about the other panels?  :huh: 

post-37528-0-03397900-1495479715_thumb.jpg

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

• Staff

Hi jer,

Once any panel is undocked it will have an X in the top right to close it. The Assets panel is docked on the left hand side, if you click drag, it will undock and you will see the X.

jer, just in case you missed it, if you double click on the title text of a Studio panel, it minimizes it to just the title bar (at least on Macs). Click once on the minimized title bar again to expand it to its previous full size.

This can be useful when you just need to see something under a floating panel or need more space in the ones docked in the Studio for some other panel group.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

jer, just in case you missed it, if you double click on the title text of a Studio panel, it minimizes it to just the title bar (at least on Macs). Click once on the minimized title bar again to expand it to its previous full size.

This also works for panel groups. Double-click on any of the panel titles (or the grab bar on the left, or the space between the last title and the menu hamburger) to collapse the entire group. On Windows at least, you need to click on the title text to expand the selected panel: clicking elsewhere on the title bar (other than the menu hamburger or the 'Close' icon, of course) has no effect.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On Macs, clicking on the grab bar or the space between the last handle & the menu does not seem to work, either for panel groups or floating panels. It has to be a double-click on the title text to work, at least on my system.

Also, for the panel groups, this sometimes results in a change in the vertical space allocated to a group when single-clicking to expand it again. I have only noticed this for a group containing the Brushes panel & maybe a couple of others. At least for the Brushes, there seems to be a default height it always reverts too, even if I double-click on another panel in the same group to collapse the group & then single-click on that same panel to expand the whole group.

It is more annoying than it should be because to resize the group vertically I have to find that one pixel tall spot in the division between groups where I can drag to change the panel height.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7