You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedded AD-Vector-File gets always rasterized

Hi everyone,

maybe i'm a bit blind on this. What happens to me is the following:

- i create an AD document. i embed a vector file created also with ad

- i see this embedded file as "embedded" in my layers

- i now export the whole thing as pdf x/3 and every time the embeded file (vector and only curves in there - coming from text) gets rasterized.

- the text i added as a normal text frame (not embedded) exports fine as vectors in the resulting pdf

So, how can i make the embedded file stay as curves and do not get rasterized?

I do this a lot in Illustrator and the linked and/or embedded vector files are never simply get rasterized (export as pdf x/3) - they stay vector(ish).

Am i doing something wrong here?

Thanks,

carsten

• Staff

This is by design for the moment - we hope to improve this in the future.

There are two workarounds. 1. Open the embedded document, copy & paste the contents directly into the main document 2. When exporting to PDF click More and select Nothing from Rasterise - please be aware that your document might not look as expected.

Hello Leigh,

i already did use workaround 1. But there are a lot of people (even i know) that are using linked files in their workflow (mostly linking to logos for corporate design things). So when the logo changes for some reasons you have to lay hands on every single document you've created with this logo.. (pain in the ...)

So embedding or better linking should always maintain the vectors - otherwise this is simply not useful if your using this professionally - as "rasterize nothing" will not do the job well if you DO have things to rasterize in your document.

Thanks for the clear-up and hopefully this feature will be implemented in the NEAR future :-) I like AD a lot and would give away illustrator...

Hi carsten. Welcome to the forums!

Apologies if you already know this but currently, there is no file linking in Affinity at all. It is another feature they say they hope to add at some future time.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R,

the linking would be a very nice feature but in this thread i am concerned about embedded vector-files that are getting rasterized. They should not.

Turning rasterizing off complete is not working at mixed documents where you need some things to get rasterized.

Vectors should always stay vectors - embedded, linked or whatever.

So, for the ones of us who design for print (export to pdf), embedding vector files is just not working right now.