You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Swatches from Illustrator or Photoshop

• Staff

Hi bcbrooks,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity apps support .ase files. To import them go to the Swatches panel, click the small menu icon on the top right of the panel and select Import Palette..., then the type of palette you want (document/application or system palette) and finally select the .ase file from the dialog that will open. We don't support Illustrator swatch libraries in ai format, only .ase.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rather than create a new thread about the exact same issue, I'll chime in.

I'm also wanting to import colour swatches that are in .aco format. The thing is, premade colour swatches available everywhere are usually in .aco format, so why isn't there an option to import those into Designer too?

Or maybe the devs can release a tool to convert .aco into .ase format?

• 2 years later...
On 5/26/2017 at 7:02 AM, MEB said:

Hi bcbrooks,

Affinity apps support .ase files. To import them go to the Swatches panel, click the small menu icon on the top right of the panel and select Import Palette..., then the type of palette you want (document/application or system palette) and finally select the .ase file from the dialog that will open. We don't support Illustrator swatch libraries in ai format, only .ase.

I need to import the BENJAMIN MOORE color palettes. They import , but do not show any colors.

Here is the link the the downloads. 

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/architects-designers/download-benjamin-moore-colour-palettes

Any thoughts on how to get these to work? I use them all the time for set design in film work.

Thanks

Gary Barringer

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

30 minutes ago, thegary said:

I need to import the BENJAMIN MOORE color palettes. They import , but do not show any colors.

Here is the link the the downloads. 

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/architects-designers/download-benjamin-moore-colour-palettes

Any thoughts on how to get these to work? I use them all the time for set design in film work.

I suspect it has to do with the ase version.

I downloaded BenjaminMoore_TorontoHeritageColors_en-ca.ase and got the same issue you had. I opened it in another application, exported back out to the attached and it imports fine.

1.ase

53 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I suspect it has to do with the ase version.

I downloaded BenjaminMoore_TorontoHeritageColors_en-ca.ase and got the same issue you had. I opened it in another application, exported back out to the attached and it imports fine.

1.ase

thanks for checking that...what application did you open in and export? I can do the same and them post them here.

Thanks

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

15 minutes ago, thegary said:

thanks for checking that...what application did you open in and export? I can do the same and them post them here.

Thanks

Gary

A now defunct application. I'll tell you what, as it only takes seconds per file, we can tag team it if you would like. You download the, zip 'em up and upload them here. I'll convert them an upload the ones that work.

2 minutes ago, MikeW said:

A now defunct application. I'll tell you what, as it only takes seconds per file, we can tag team it if you would like. You download the, zip 'em up and upload them here. I'll convert them an upload the ones that work.

Sounds great to me...thanks for offering..here they are.

Gary Barringer

Benjamin Moore Swatchs.zip

• 3 months later...

Hey, so I exported my swatches out of Photoshop and renamed the file to .ase, but after I clicked on it in the file chooser, it says that it's not compatible with Affinity Photo. How is this possible? I was using Photoshop CC 2017 but that shouldn't be the problem right?

22 hours ago, FervanGraphics said:

I was using Photoshop CC 2017 but that shouldn't be the problem right?

You should export the swatches as "Export Swatches for Exchange..." so you'll get .ase extension automatically. And then you can just import that file to Affinity Photo without any  problem.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2017 at 5:02 AM, MEB said:

Hi bcbrooks,

I hope this won't be considered hijacking this thread since I don't see anywhere where bcbrooks has acknowledged getting his original question resolved. But, on the iPad version of affinity photo, I don't see an "Import Palette" selection. In iPad, I click "Color Studio" (colored dot on right side) -> "Swatches" (at bottom of "Color" panel ->  menu icon (small box upper right with 3 horizontal lines) = then only get these 5 choices:

"Add current fill to palette", Add Application Palette", Add Document Pallete, Rename Palette...", or "Remove Palette".

If I select "Add Application Palette", I only get a new tab called "Unnamed" and no dialog that opens asking for the source.

35 minutes ago, imksn said:

I hope this won't be considered hijacking this thread

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I'm not sure it's hijacking :) but the thread is about Designer on Mac, and you're on iPad, so you've definitely asked in the wrong place.

It's also an old, archived, thread, and you should probably post your question as a new topic in the Affinity on iPad Questions forum to make sure you get the best answers.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I'm not sure it's hijacking :) but the thread is about Designer on Mac, and you're on iPad, so you've definitely asked in the wrong place.

It's also an old, archived, thread, and you should probably post your question as a new topic in the Affinity on iPad Questions forum to make sure you get the best answers.

@walt.farrell oops.... sorry, didn’t notice the topic heading. Wasn’t familiar with the layout, so didn’t notice the topic area Indicator with nice blue colored background at top. However, I noticed that the most recent replies were not THAT old, so I thought it ok to post.

Anyway, thanks for pointing me toward the correct topic area where I found another guidepost leading me to the suggestions topics where I can see where it appears one cannot import one’s own swatch files. [EDIT: for iPad version]

Thank you for leading me straight,

Ken

Edited by imksn
Added clarification of version I was referring.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.