You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello Mike,

What help files are you referring to? I know there are video tutorials on the forum section, example Affinity artwork, and a built-in manual through the Help menu. Those second two things come with Designer and not as separate files. What files might you be talking about?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

What help files are you referring to?

I presume Mike is referring to the contents of the *.lproj folders located at ...\DesignerHelp\Contents\Resources (at least on Windows). If so, they're just HTML files and they can therefore be viewed directly in a web browser.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hey Mike, if you're referring to the in-app help, it's essentially a bundle of HTML files that you can open externally with a web browser.

If you're on Mac:

1. Go to Finder > Applications, right click Affinity Designer and choose Show Package Contents.
  2. Navigate to Contents > Resources and find AffinityDesigner.help
  3. Right click AffinityDesigner.help and choose Show Package Contents
  4. Navigate to Contents > Resources and copy Resources to somewhere externally on your drive (e.g. Documents)
  5. In the copied Resources folder, find your language (e.g. English UK is English.lproj, English US is en-US.lproj) and navigate into that folder.
  6. Open index.html in your preferred web browser.

If you're on Windows:

1. Go to Program Files/Affinity/Affinity Designer
  2. Navigate to DesignerHelp/Contents/Resources
  3. Either copy the Resources folder somewhere externally or you can simply open up the copy in the app's folder
  4. Find your language (as mentioned above)
  5. Open the language's index.html file in your preferred web browser.

Hope that helps. We're hopefully planning to implement some changes for 1.6 (or beyond that) to make things a bit easier for people wanting to access the help externally. As it stands, though, the help is fully responsive and should scale gracefully to different screen sizes, let me know if you have any issues!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

James, I'm curious, those files are packaged for each version, right? So if Mike transfers Designer to another computer or iPad, wouldn't they still be there without having to move them? I'm just asking because I don't quite understand how they differ.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Adding slightly to what James said, on a Mac in Finder you can get to the Resources folder quickly by using Finder's "Go to Folder..." item on the "Go" menu & entering the following path in the 'go to folder' field:

/Applications/Affinity Designer.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources

Note that minimally you will need to copy two of the resource folders to the other computer, whichever one is for your preferred language & the "Shared" folder. (You may want to do this to save a few 10's of MB of drive space on the other computer.)

To make it easier to access the help in your browser, you may want to bookmark the file path to the index.html file. For most browses, you can just drag the index file onto the browser icon or into a new browser window. For Safari on a Mac the URL will look something like the following (here for US English):

file:///Applications/Affinity%20Designer.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources/en-US.lproj/index.html

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

For Safari on a Mac the URL will look something like the following (here for US English):

file:///Applications/Affinity%20Designer.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources/en-US.lproj/index.html

On Windows, the corresponding file is here:

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Affinity/Affinity%20Designer/DesignerHelp/Contents/Resources/en-US.lproj/index.html

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi bleduc,

Mike was asking how to transfer just the Help files to another system so he can use them while working on his main machine. He doesn't necessarily want to install the program in other machines.

Ah gotchya.