You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I use a Canon 5D mk2 and shoot in full raw. I import onto my iMac and the apple software recognises them as raw Cr2 files but when I try to import into Affinity photo it only opens them as "full size output.jpeg".

Help please

Hi Paul12,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Please could you try to change the Raw engine from Serif Labs to Apple (Core Image RAW)? To do so open a RAW image, go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager..., change the RAW engine (first dropdown) to Apple (Core Image RAW), close the dialog and open the image again.

I did try a RAW for your camera in both  Serif Labs and Apple (Core Image RAW) and it opened as expected into the develop persona.

• Staff

Hi paul12,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Are you storing the RAW's in Apple Photo's library? How are you opening the files? Are you using the Media/Photos section from the Finder dialog or the Media Browser in Affinity Photo to open them? If so the images are always imported/opened as JPG's. You have to use the Edit in Affinity Photo extension for Apple Photos to send the RAW's to Affinity Photo or export them manually from Apple Photos as originals (menu File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original) and open them in Affinity.

I have a Canon 5d mkiii, shoot in RAW. Upon tethering the camera, I have it setup to import the pics into the Photos App. At that point I probably go about it the long manual way but I have been following these steps before it was an option to use Extensions for AP in the Photos App. My steps are to:

1. Select the Raw photos and Export them as Originals to my preferred place on my Mac

2. Open AP

3. Select the photos I want to develop (from the place I stored them on my Mac) and click Open

They open in the Develop Module of AP.

(For me), If I do not Export them to my Mac as Originals or if you try to open them in AP from my Photos App as they came from the camera, even if shot in Raw format, they show fullsizeoutput.jpeg as you saw.

Thank you people. I hadn't realised that the new Apple photo app works in a different way to the old iPhoto. Exporting to another folder and then opening in Affinity works perfectly. I can go play now.........