You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone, I'm sure I'm not the first to bring this issue up but I wanted to try my luck anyway.

I'm trying to use AP instead of PS as my main digital painting program, however, since the first time I tried working with it, I've encountered way too many issues with its brushes.

I'm not even talking about the lag when I start strokes (in some of the brushes I use, not all of them), but the biggest problem I'm having is the breaking angles I get for no good reason.

Here are some screenshots I took to better explain the issues while trying to make a simple sphere. I've also noticed that changing the zoom can alter the way my brush behaves, but I cannot work only in extreme zooming all the way from start to finish.

Is there a solution for these problems?

Many thanks!!!

-Ziv

post-40050-0-24807000-1496037299_thumb.png

post-40050-0-41615800-1496037521_thumb.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Ziv. :)

Here are some screenshots I took to better explain the issues while trying to make a simple sphere.

It looks as though your screenshots failed to attach. Please try again, and make sure that you press the 'Attach This File' button after browsing to each file: files don't get attached automatically when you browse to them.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

AFAIK, the brush engine for both Designer and Photo is the same. I have Designer, and do not get that problem, either when using a mouse or a tablet. Perhaps its a system issue. As a point of comparison, I have an 2015 iMac Retina

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi AFAIK, I don't think it's a system issue because I'm having the same trouble on both of my computers (both on Win7) and also checking both on AP and Ad.

Attached is a second attempt on my other computer... 

The percentage is the zoom amount. It changes the way the brush works for some reason.

post-40050-0-80360900-1496066981_thumb.jpg

It has been reported before (for example Here and Here).  You could see if it occurs in the latest 1.6 Beta as I know they have been doing something with pen input recently and also added brush stabilisation, however as I don't follow the Beta builds I don't know whether the issue has been resolved or not.

It appears the brush stabilization helps, a lot.

See the attached. The 1st circle is at the zoom I usually work in. By the time I'm zoomed out to 25%, which makes the work area smaller than a credit card, the circle becomes pixellated. With stabilization on, much smoother, altho again at that size I can't work well.

post-34886-0-90994300-1496081314_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet