You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cataloguing - options & opinions please

HI all,

I've just downloaded the free 10 day trial in the hope of moving away from PS. I'm absolutely atrocious at PS so I'm praying that by the end of the trial, I can see a bit more than just potential in AP. I'm looking for a programme that I can settle on and stick with. I really do hope AP will be a lot simpler to use. 

Anyway, I have a lot more joy in LR than I do in PS. One of my biggest concerns with moving from PS/LR to AP is the lack of cataloguing. I quite like tagging my photos with keywords and having them sorted into folders with names (not that confusing date crap that Adobe use). 

Are there any users on here who can recommend a good catalogue programme please? I don't mind paying if it's good enough.

I'm a Mac user btw. 

Cheers

Mark

You lost me at "Mac"  ;)

I have a keen photographer friend who uses a program called Unbound which seems pretty good. It comes from the Mac App store for about $10. 

It's quite streamlined (not bloatware) but it does the job and is not expensive. Worth a look.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

There's a cataloging program called NeoFinder you might want to look at. I came across a mention of it last week, and it seems pretty full featured and very efficient.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I have (as yet) not tried it but for Mac Affinity users Pixave 2 might be worth checking out. It supports Affinity documents, has a free trial available, is an Apple 'best of 2015' winner, & costs $15 in the U.S. Mac App Store.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Have a look at Photo Supreme. Catalogue, keywording, geotagging, batch processing, etc. No RAW development and no significant editing, though.

http://www.idimager.com/WP/?page_id=20

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Have a look at Photo Supreme. Catalogue, keywording, geotagging, batch processing, etc. No RAW development and no significant editing, though.

It looks interesting, but it is fairly pricey & apparently cannot catalog files in Affinity's native formats.

Regardless, I would be interested in reading comments from anybody who uses it & Affinity Photo.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R, it's pricey only if you take Affinity Photo as a baseline. In comparison to others, it's probably middle of the road in price. I also have a copy of Pixave 2 and I've got to tell you - what a disappointment. It's cheap, but this may be a time when "you get what you pay for." Also, although Photo Supreme doesn't handle Afffinity Photo files as a default, the Preferences can be set to accept them (see my screen grab).

post-12953-0-42608600-1496340191_thumb.jpg

Once you set up Photo Supreme to accept .afphoto files, it imports them with no complaints. It will create thumbnails for its catalog, as well. It allows keywords to be assigned to .afphoto files, as well as GPS coordinates. The only important limitation I've found is that the built-in Viewer (which will open up my jpg, tiff, NEF, and other file formats inside of Photo Supreme) will not let me open up Affinity Photo files within the program. Instead, it launches Affinity Photo and opens the file in AP.

post-12953-0-60826800-1496340205_thumb.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I've been trying the timed trial of NeoFinder. It is very fast. Cataloged a folder of pictures w. 23K images in less than 10 min. Allows multiple files to have Mac tags or comments added in batches. Will quickly find all those w. the same comments, etc. Reads and records EXIF data. Was able to go thru my AD project folder and catalogue over 800 files in about a minute. Provided previews. Works with many other kinds of files.

I've just dabble with it a bit. I had little use for Adobe Bridge, and have no experience w. LR, so I can't compare. I did use the Extensis Portfolio DAM professionally. NeoFinder does a lot of what Portfolio did some years ago, but seems to be limited to a single user environment.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet