You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi to Forum members,  I realise that I am obviously missing something, but I have tried to find how to import an image from my scanner into affinity photo.

Can anyone direct me to the place which I am being 'BLIND' to.

Thanks in advance John Edwin Skelton in exile in Slovakia.

Although Affinity Photo on Windows does not support scanners, it is fairly simple to link an external scanner. If you have VueScan or the sofware that came with your scanner, you can set it to Save in a particular format (tiff, jpeg etc). If AP is set as the default program to open that file type, then windows will automatically open the saved file in AP.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

If it's for Windows, I like Faststone Image Viewer. 

It links to scanners, catalogs your pictures, grabs screenshots and gives basic editing (it's no Affinity Photo, mind you), cropping, "lossless" JPEG transitions and even makes slideshows for you. You can easily set it up to launch an external editor (like Affinity Photo) so scan (or find) any photo, press E (for external editor) and it launches the image straight into Photo. I have been using it for years.

And it's free!

It compliments Affinity Photo very well with the scanning and cataloging features that Affinity lacks.

http://www.faststone.org

FastStone Image Viewer is a fast, stable, user-friendly image browser, converter and editor. It has a nice array of features that include image viewing, management, comparison, red-eye removal, emailing, resizing, cropping, retouching and color adjustments. Its innovative but intuitive full-screen mode provides quick access to EXIF information, thumbnail browser and major functionalities via hidden toolbars that pop up when your mouse touches one of the four edges of the screen. Other features include a high quality magnifier and a musical slideshow with 150+ transitional effects, as well as lossless JPEG transitions, drop shadow effects, image annotation, scanner support, histogram and much more. It supports all major graphic formats (BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, animated GIF, PNG, PCX, PSD, EPS, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA) and popular digital camera RAW formats (CRW, CR2, NEF, PEF, RAF, MRW, ORF, SRF, ARW, SR2, RW2 and DNG).

FastStone Image Viewer is a fast, stable, user-friendly image browser, converter and editor. It has a nice array of features that include image viewing, management, comparison, red-eye removal, emailing, resizing, cropping, retouching and color adjustments. Its innovative but intuitive full-screen mode provides quick access to EXIF information, thumbnail browser and major functionalities via hidden toolbars that pop up when your mouse touches one of the four edges of the screen. Other features include a high quality magnifier and a musical slideshow with 150+ transitional effects, as well as lossless JPEG transitions, drop shadow effects, image annotation, scanner support, histogram and much more. It supports all major graphic formats (BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, animated GIF, PNG, PCX, PSD, EPS, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA) and popular digital camera RAW formats (CRW, CR2, NEF, PEF, RAF, MRW, ORF, SRF, ARW, SR2, RW2 and DNG).

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Hi to forum members,  Thanks for the useful replies.  At least this bumbling (almost 70 years old) computer amateur had not actually missed something.  I was beginning to feel that I was heading for a serious case of ' Dementia by lack of grey cells ' was becoming a reality with me.

I will use my old version of Serif PLUS X8 for scanning in pictures for the moment. Later I will try out the alternatives as per forum members suggestions.

Back to learning curve of trying to become competent with Affinity.

Thanks again for all the help.

John Edwin Skelton in exile in the Slovak Republic.

If it's for Windows, I like Faststone Image Viewer. 

It links to scanners, catalogs your pictures, grabs screenshots and gives basic editing (it's no Affinity Photo, mind you), cropping, "lossless" JPEG transitions and even makes slideshows for you. You can easily set it up to launch an external editor (like Affinity Photo) so scan (or find) any photo, press E (for external editor) and it launches the image straight into Photo. I have been using it for years.

And it's free!

It's worth noting that FastStone Image Viewer is only free for personal use. That should be fine for an amateur (whether or not he's in exile in the Slovak Republic!) but a single lifetime licence for commercial use costs US$34.95. A cheaper solution for external scanner support would be IrfanView, for which a commercial licence costs only 10 euros.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I used to use Irfanview, very good but I found I preferred Faststone for it's cataloging. I might look at Irfanview again, just for the hell of it.

I don't actually remember Irfanview doing cataloging? It was incredibly fast though. It could launch and load images far quicker that Photoshop could even load them. Much better for finding things in a hurry and even making quick edits

No, I was really only recommending it for its scanner support. It doesn't do cataloguing as such, but it does have some useful thumbnail options.

Alfred spacer.png

One thing I really like about Faststone Image Viewer (among many other things) is the Print Designer bit. You can select four, twenty or more images and it will arrange them to fit onto one sheet of paper, with a choice of the gaps in between, print margins etc. Handy for proofing or making an instant contact sheet. You can even resize each picture individually afterwards, add a background colour, frames, shadows and speech bubbles. It's quite good fun.

Only downside is, it doesn't see Affinity files. Not yet

One click contact sheet (OK, maybe two clicks and a drag). I just selected the pictures, went into the Print Designer bit and that was it! You can even save the laid out contact "sheet" as a JPEG, if that's your thing.

print%20designer_zpsrrgwpz48.jpg

One click contact sheet (OK, maybe two clicks and a drag). I just selected the pictures, went into the Print Designer bit and that was it! You can even save the laid out contact "sheet" as a JPEG, if that's your thing.

That's also one of the many options offered in Thumbnail mode in IrfanView.

post-8358-0-79074200-1496094324_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Currently there's no scanning functionality on Windows (due to poor 64-bit scan driver support).

I am puzzled why there's a problem since Photoshop, FSViewer and others import from scans in wWndows 10 x64. Is it possible to explain in a simple way, please? And do you have plans to include this sometime in the future? Thanks

• 5 months later...

I find it unbelievable that I cannot import from my scanner and you blame windows 64bit for the problem every other program I have imports fine so it can not be a windows problem. I think it is time you updated your software to work with twain scanners until the problem is sorted I shall have to revert back to my old programs 

• 8 months later...

Do not blame to 64 bit driver while something like paint.net can do this.

The software author may just want to leave us.

Something stupid like DPI cannot change on export image problem is since 2016 but today it still exists.

As I understand it, this is the situation:

1. The Affinity apps require a 64 bit version of Windows.
2. 32 bit drivers won't work with 64 bit versions of Windows.
3. TWAIN is not a driver. It is a software level protocol that requires a separate driver ("Data Source" or "DS" for short) for each imaging device.
4. 32 bit apps (& apps that can run in 32 bit mode?) run on 64 bit versions of Windows via the WOW64 sub-system
4a. However, WOW64 still requires an underlying 64 bit device driver to work properly.
5. 64 bit scanner driver support from scanner makers (not necessarily from Microsoft) is poor; IOW, they are not providing very many 64 bit drivers.

So basically, even if Affinity Photo for Windows supported acquiring images from scanners, unless you can find a 64 bit driver for whatever scanner model you have, it would not do you any good. It is the same for Macs: no 64 bit scanner driver = no acquire image functionality. The only difference is how much pressure Apple has put on device makers to supply 64 bit drivers if they want to support their Mac OS customers, but since those makers would rather sell them a new scanner than give them a free driver so they can keep using the one they already bought, they are not very interested in doing that for older models they no longer sell, so the feature is of limited use on the Mac side.

So as I see it, to convince the Affinity developers it is worth their time & effort to add this feature to the Windows app, it probably would be most effective if users let them know that they have a 64 bit driver for their scanner, if in fact they do. Maybe if enough users do that, they will add it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Publisher PC Scanner support/PDF Edit Persona

MAC and iPad the scanner support (which would help in insert to PDF functions/etc)... but not for the PC?

Don't quote bad scanner driver support because Adobe, your arch nemesis does it just fine- not an acceptable excuse to not add it. Driver support is just fine. It works. Period. therefore it will work for Affinity on PC as well. It kills the PDF editing ability within the app. 

I would definitely ask for a PDF editing Persona in Publisher. You would be saviors to the industry if you did that. You would sooooo destroy Acrobat and all those overpriced no name apps online. Acrobat can't edit live in desktop publishing, photos editing, and vector editing all in their app. you already kill them there. Imagine making the PDF editing tools and importing abilities/scanning in a PDF edit persona. that would put you right over the top, Affinity team.

7 hours ago, JofreJKD said:

Publisher PC Scanner support/PDF Edit Persona

MAC and iPad the scanner support (which would help in insert to PDF functions/etc)... but not for the PC?

Don't quote bad scanner driver support because Adobe, your arch nemesis does it just fine- not an acceptable excuse to not add it. Driver support is just fine. It works. Period. therefore it will work for Affinity on PC as well. It kills the PDF editing ability within the app. 

I would definitely ask for a PDF editing Persona in Publisher. You would be saviors to the industry if you did that. You would sooooo destroy Acrobat and all those overpriced no name apps online. Acrobat can't edit live in desktop publishing, photos editing, and vector editing all in their app. you already kill them there. Imagine making the PDF editing tools and importing abilities/scanning in a PDF edit persona. that would put you right over the top, Affinity team.

You may add this as feature request, or search for older ones and add you vote there. Here in the questions section Affinity will not recognize.

I will add my vote 👍🏼

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

12 hours ago, JofreJKD said:

Don't quote bad scanner driver support because Adobe, your arch nemesis does it just fine- not an acceptable excuse to not add it.

As I understand it, Adobe does this with special 'bridge' software it developed that will allow 64 bit Windows apps to use 32 bit drivers. So Serif would probably have to do the same to be able to support scanning on Windows. While they probably could do that, it would take a lot time & effort that I think they would rather invest in developing other much needed features.

IOW, maybe someday but I would not count on it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 minutes ago, JofreJKD said:

They would destroy a major app in Adobe world with these two ideas though.

I doubt there is anything Serif or any other software company can do that would "destroy" any of the Adobe apps. Adobe is among the largest software companies in the world, with hundreds of times the development resources of competitors like Serif. That's why they can implement things that other companies can't justify doing.

Affinity Photo