You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Windows Exporting to Current Directory

It's not a bug, unless your computer is not doing the same as mine?

When I load an image, any image, Affinity always exports it or saves it to the same directory I just loaded it from. That would surely be your work directory?

i.e. if you put all your documents into one folder (e.g called work), as you load, save and export the images they should all end in the same place when you have finished. Admittedly,if you load from multiple directories, they will get muddled but if you look in the directories you got the originals from, the exported files should be there too.

Or am I missing something  :unsure:

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

When I load an image, any image, Affinity always exports it or saves it to the same directory I just loaded it from. That would surely be your work directory?

i.e. if you put all your documents into one folder (e.g called work), as you load, save and export the images they should all end in the same place when you have finished. Admittedly,if you load from multiple directories, they will get muddled but if you look in the directories you got the originals from, the exported files should be there too.

No, I am not working from one single directory.

I ingest from my cameras into date-based directories, based on file format (NEF, NRW and ORF).  Scanned images are filed totally separately, based on subject matter.

I jump around a lot, so there is no single working directory.  It would have thousands of files, multiple formats (TIFF & JPEG besides raw).

Here's what happens:  if yesterday I worked in 2015-11/NEF, and today work in 2016-08/ORF, saving the latter TIFF ends up in the 2015-11/NEF directory.

Nikon ViewNX2 acts the same as Affinity Photo, i.e. saving to the last used directory, which is annoying.  However:  Zoner Photo Studio 18, FastStone, PaintShopPro x8, Paint.net, and Olympus Viewer 3 all save edits to the current directory.  Even the new Topaz Studio.  Qimage Ultimage saves files to a specific working directory, which is ok, since I know where to look.

Yes, I'm not as organized as I'd like to be, but I've got a ton of catching up to do.  Especially since I'm re-doing many that I'd previously over- or under-processed.

I could live with the export directory being always the same.  Otherwise, I'm going to have to go looking elsewhere for a different image processor.  But I'm just getting familiar with AP, really like it, and don't want to abandon it.

--JustGeorge

Hmm, I see your problem.

Not a bug then, a feature request.

I must say, the ability to save to "last folder" or "specified folder" wouldn't be a bad idea. Professional volume workflows demand professional solutions. More important than the ability to add a drop shadow to a line when its rotated and feathered, or whatever.

Submit a request. It is a professional level feature and probably quite easy to implement. 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.