You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting a node without selecting the handles.

Is there a way of selecting just a node without the handles.  i dont want to zoom in or keep clicking and un-doing because the handles are short and are over my node. i want to click and select the node and only the node.

is there a key to hold down  or a way of doing this please ... thanks.

Well, if it has handles already, ,it is a "smooth node" and the handles are part of the whole node/control handle object, so no.

However, if you want to turn a smooth node into a node without handles, a "cusp node", Alt - Clicking on it converts it. i.e. removes the handles from the node. It might well change the shape though. You can drag the line either side of the node without affecting the line at the other side of the node.

If you look at the status bar at the very bottom of the window, if gives you information about what the node is and what the modifier keys do as you "hover".

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

thanks for the quick reply. 

in most instances i do not want to change the node  in case it warps my shape. I just thought there would be a way to select the node without the handles. i like the nodes to be small and not get in the way.  I have noticed if you increase the node size the handles get huge too..and they still get selected rather than the node...

to be honest it drives crazy that is why i thought i would ask .

i will see if i can use the alt key without it  changing the shape .. thanks again.

Teejay2011,

I am not sure I understand your problem. The handles do not appear until you select a node, so if you want to move a node, just click & drag on it (in one step, instead of clicking to select it & then clicking again to start the drag). If the node is already selected, so its handles are showing, tap the escape key once to deselect it, then click & drag to move it. Alternately, to deselect the node without deselecting the object, click & drag out a small marquee that does not enclose any node.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Teejay2011,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, there's no way to have a node selected without displaying its handles (unless it's a sharp node which doesn't have any).

R C-R.

Clicking and dragging a node also displays its handles while dragging. Anything that implies direct node manipulation displays node's handles.

R C-R.

Clicking and dragging a node also displays its handles while dragging. Anything that implies direct node manipulation displays node's handles.

I know that, but I do not understand why that would be a problem for Teejay2011.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

its a big problem 

i do click and drag... i do not click to select then click and drag...

but ...  when i click and drag many times  i click and drag a handle instead of the node... even when i am being ultra careful  ..i am on windows and am wondering if it is different on a mac ..some things are.

i would dearly LOVE to click and drag a node without the handles being selected (i know they show i just dont want to select the handles)

this gets to be a royal pain in the butt when the handles are so short they hardly have any 'arms'.. other times they get selected no matter what i do.

even zoomed in this can happen.

it isnt the fact the handles show...its that they get selected instead of the node. I am not the only one either...but if there isnt a way to do this PLEASE consider making a magic key to select only node even if the handles show ...only the node is selected.

i know clear as mud..its the best i got.

• Staff

Hi Teejay2011,

Yes, in some cases this can get messy. There was already a few discussions/threads about this, but you can always zoom in until you get to a point where you can select precisely what you want. This however may become tiring if you have to repeat it several times. I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section as currently there's no way to work around it other that zooming in.